Border Wait Time - Memorial Day

Kschoon

I know that there is no way to know what the wait time will be this Memorial day coming back to the states but am hoping someone can give me an idea of what to expect based on previous years experience. We had hoped to come down the Friday morning before Memorial weekend and return the Tuesday after however it looks like if we will be able to come at all we will have to return on Memorial Day itself.

To clarify this would be at the Lukeville crossing.

Any input is appreciated.

Terry C

It all depends what time you hit the border after a hour or less to get there. Most rental places have check out at 11:00 AM. So, on that note watch out after that.

Terry C

Try it and sea and remember what a great time you had seaing the sea. I took that from Mark ( the sea part) GO, enjoy

If I was leaving on Monday....I would either leave super early so that I hit the border before 9-10am....or wait until late....hit the border around 6-7pm. I have never found the Border Wait Time website to be very accurate for Lukeville (at least not consistently!)....many times they do not update every hour.

thinking about going down early friday morning and coming home sunday to avoid the border mess....do you guys think I will be ok? Hoping for no more than an hour wait at the border.

rplarry

thinking about going down early friday morning and coming home sunday to avoid the border mess....do you guys think I will be ok? Hoping for no more than an hour wait at the border.
There is nothing more torturous than waiting in a 2-5 mile line at the border being hot, burning gas, etc. We never chance it. Especially on a weekend like Memorial Day. Even the 'off crossing times' can have you waiting 1-3 hours. Either leave later in the evening on Sunday (8pm or later) or head out around 5am on Monday morning. Border opens at 6am and you can be in PHX by 9am or so.

Good luck.

memorial day border report....left phoenix at 8AM on Friday morning...waited 5-10 minutes to get into Mexico as we were stopped and briefly searched going into mexico. Got up early Monday memorial day and left rocky point by 7 AM. We hit the border at approx 8 AM and only had one car in front of us.

Basically unbelievable! Did anyone have to wait a bunch later in the day or was everyone coming home on Tuesday or something?

ernesto

So what was the wait time Monday afternoon? The website said 2.33 hrs with 5 lanes open in the afternoon . No updates. Guess that means 2 hours 20 minutes. Anybody care to weigh in with some reality? If they had 5 lanes open they had to have put a couple of the cigarette smokin jokers standing on the sidelines to work. Or maybe the guy that has to tell you which lane to go in was put in a booth where he belongs.

Estero

I crossed into Mex at about 2:00 on Memorial Day and the line going North stretched almost all the way to the first curve in the road when headed into Sonoyta. Two lanes of cars going North and 5 lanes open at the border. I have video and was really glad I was not going the other direction. The wait had to be at least 2+ hours.

so I made the real big move leaving at 6:45 on monday....no wait at the border and even got in an afternoon golf round at the biltmore. anyone on here wait for 2-3 hours lol

Encanto

We crossed Monday night. Arrived in line at 8:24 and were across at 9:48, 1 hour, 22 min. All 5 lanes were open.

Great weekend !