Boy in Ballon... Breaking News

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Now the frickin' stupid idiotic media is saying they had doubts...ha!
If there was a less than 1% chance that little boy was on that balloon, they did what they needed to do.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
CNN interviewed the family and Falcon said he did it because they said they were doing it "for the show."

Then when they asked him what he did while in the attic, he said he had some toys up there and got some food and took it up there.

This is starting to sound contrived.

joester

2 salty dawgs
the entire thing was a stunt by attention-loving, selfish kids who learned about it from their attention-loving, selfish parents (wife-swap? c'mon!).
the 2 other brothers were on the roof with a video camera recording the stunt - not too concerned it seems.
take them off tv, never mention their names in the news again, and just ignore the entire family. pathetic.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Put the idiot parents in a high-altitude balloon, launch them, and be done with it forever.

Make the parents pay for all the emergency crews that were involved because of this stunt.....

I saw the clip on the news last night when the kid did an OOPS....and let it slip.....

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Balloon Boy Hoax

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – A Colorado sheriff says it was hoax when parents reported that their 6-year-old son was in a flying saucer-like helium balloon hurtling away from their home.
Sheriff Jim Alderden says Richard and Mayumi Heene "put on a very good show for us, and we bought it."
The sheriff says no charges have been filed yet, and the parents aren't under arrest. He says he expects to recommend charges of conspiracy, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, making a false report to authorities and attempting to influence a public servant.
Some of the most serious charges each carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison and a $500,000 fine.
He says all three children knew of the Thursday hoax, but likely won't face charges because of their ages. The oldest son is 10.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
FORT COLLINS, Colo. (AP) — A sheriff says a Colorado couple's report that their 6-year-old son was in a balloon that was hurtling away from their home was a publicity stunt.
Sheriff Jim Alderden says Richard and Mayumi Heene "put on a very good show for us, and we bought it."
The sheriff says no charges have been filed yet, and the parents aren't under arrest. But he says he expects to recommend charges of conspiracy and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Alderden says interviews with the parents Saturday resulted in enough information to get a warrant to search the house. He says they were looking for computers, e-mails, phone records and financial records.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
The Dad Called the News Himself

DENVER - 9NEWS has been asked by many how we decided to cover the story of 6-year-old Falcon Heene and the claim that he was carried off from his Fort Collins home in a helium balloon.

Instead of being in the balloon, Falcon was safe on the ground the entire time and now the Larimer County Sheriff's Office believes it was a hoax and a publicity stunt perpetuated by the Heene family.

An attorney for the Heene family maintains it was not a hoax.

On Thursday around 11 a.m., Richard Heene called our assignment desk and spoke with a news desk editor. Heene told us that his 6-year-old son was in a balloon that had accidentally taken off and asked 9NEWS to launch SKY9 to try and find it.

Our desk editor says he could hear Heene's wife, Mayumi Heene, in the background talking to someone else on the phone. He believed it was a 911 dispatcher.

We took down Heene's number, and after hanging up we let Vice President/News Director Patti Dennis know about the story.

At that time, other producers in the 9NEWS Information Center started making phone calls to the FAA and other agencies to find out what they knew about the balloon. We also called Fort Collins Police, which were unaware of any incident, and attempted to contact the public information officer for the Larimer County Sheriff's Office.

Dennis called Richard Heene back and spoke with him on the phone.

"I told him I didn't believe the story," Dennis said.

She asked him for his son's name, school and other confirming information about their family.

"He was crying, said his son's name was Falcon," Dennis said. "Then I asked him, 'Why haven't you called police?' And he said, 'I have. The deputy is here.'"

By that time, sheriff's deputies had arrived at the house.

"I said, 'Put him [the officer] on the phone,'" Dennis said.

A deputy spoke with Dennis directly and she confirmed it was a deputy before asking about the balloon.

The deputy confirmed they were now investigating it as a missing child case.

"When law enforcement tells us they have a missing child, who is likely in danger, we have an obligation to report that to the public," Dennis said. "That's what we have Amber Alerts, for that very reason."

No Amber Alert was issued in Falcon's case because he did not fulfill the specific requirements.

"If he had been in a car, a boat, a motorcycle or any other mode of transportation, we would have covered it," she said.

(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved):evil:

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Sorry, Playa, I didn't see this post til today. No, they are not in jail. I think they are still trying to figure out what to charge them with. Now the FAA is involved...I think these people are in big trouble...poor kids - their role models suck.