Bring RV down permanently?

We are thinking of bringing a travel trailer or motor home down to RP and leave it there pretty much permanently so we can just go down whenever at a whims notice (maybe bring it back once in a while to PHX for maintenance and what not). Is that even possible? It won't be an expensive RV ($2000-$4500). We'd leave it at the Reef or PDO and pay the storage fees (like $40/mo I believe)? What are the rules about insurance and registration and all that stuff and leaving it in Mexico for long periods of time? I am thinking a travel trailer makes the most sense, but I found some real good deals on large 1980's diesel pushers (and some gas ones too for that matter) but the more I research, the more pain the diesel route looks (like if I register it in AZ, do I need to bring it back every year for emissions tests and all that crap when it won't even be in AZ). And I tried to find rules for registering it in Mexico and that looks difficult/impossible and info I found was vague at best. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

flicks

We have had our travel trailer at Playa Bonita for 3 years. We have never brought it back to phoenix. It's 40 per month & then 27 a day for hookups. Never had problems with theft. Maybe a little less propane.:) Ours was pretty inexpensive around 3500. We may replace it with a newer one up the road.

Roberto

I think no one really cares about those issues here in Mexico. I have never heard of any registration requirements for trailers in storage. Now if you drive them around and through an ADUANA stop like the one at Caborca,or at the border, you'll have a problem, but certainly not one in storage that gets towed out of storage to set up occasionally. The worst thing you can do for a gasoline, or diesel, powered vehicle is to allow it to sit and not be used. Get a trailer. The Reef and PDO will haul it out of storage and set you up, easy peasy.

If you plan on using it for several years , say 3 or more, and you do not need luxury surroundings, personally I'd look for an older trailer sized to fit your needs and have someone go through all the systems, water, power, AC, hot water heater, furnace if you want. If it's an older unit check the wheel bearings as the grease dries out and you don't want a breakdown on the trip down. Replace anything that's not up to snuff. Nothing more aggravating trying to relax when the fridge fails or the AC won't cool. I would serously consider replacing anything requiring propane to 110 or 220 which is supplied as part of your space rental. You can get propane but why bother as there are more maintenance issues with them. Replace the 3 way fridge with a 120 V home unit for sure if at all possible. The 3 ways are inefficient and problematic to get repaired here. If there is one roof AC unit I'd rig it so I could install a wall or windor AC somewhere unless you say NO to July, August and September visits. Maybe put in a demand hot water heater as the water here is very corrosive and hard on tanks. This all might sould like a PITA but I promise you will have a better experience here if you do make these changes. Then plan on using it here during it's useful lifetime and selling it here when you are done with it. They make great homes for locals. Issue is when you leave it in storage it will deteriorate from heat, salt and inactivity. Tires will rot, paint will fade and peel. The interior is exposed to a tremendous heat and humidity bath during the hot months which causes lots of weird corrosion and deterioration of wiring, metals, plastic and fabrics. You'll want good tires to drive down here but remember they will deteriorate over time. If the tires are expensive as most correct tires for trailers and RVs are, I'd consider bringing some old skins to use here and take the good tires home. Remember they only have to move the rig a hundred yards or so, no highway driving.

If that all does not suite your needs, plan on taking it up to AZ maybe once or twice a year for a good workover. Good Luck !!

YumaJames

I bring my boat and RV down there all the time from AZ, and even though I don't leave em, its still pretty much the same process. First of all, as soon as you cross the border since you're leaving the RV down there for awhile they MAY ask you to buy a Promisory note as soon as you cross the border. It's about $75, and is good for about 10 years, its basically states you promise to bring the RV back and not sell it down there. You don't have to register it in Mexico, but Mexico law states you do require insurance, which can be bought online, places close to the border, at Rocky Point, etc (there are threads on this forum in regards to that). Lots of people don't insure their vehicles or RVs when they bring them into Mexico, but personally I always do, its really not that expensive, and if you every get in an accident in Mexico without having insurance you'll me majorily screwed, or what if it gets stolen? I totally agree with Roberto, my personal opinion from owning a diesel pusher and now owning a toyhauler, is that I much prefer the toyhauler, its expensive to register/insure/maintain the diesel pusher, and mechanically its potentially a real pain to leave a diesel pusher sitting for any length of time. AZ doesn't require emisions tests, so once you register it the first time you never have to bring it back again to reregister/emission test it, reregistraion can simply be done online. Buen suerte!

Last edited:
Yeah, Maricopa County has emissions. Although if i did buy a diesel, I'd probably have it registered in a different county or try to get a waiver. But, despite the great deals on them, it looks like a PITA to go that route. So travel trailer it is. But for some reason the aren't many good deals around here to find a 30ft+. Tons of 5th wheels, but I don't have a hitch for it (i have a short bed).

I was under the impression if it was not registered, it could be confiscated, but then again, you guys are right, its just being pulled a few hundred feet from storage to beach, so who would know. But i think its cheap enough, i will register it i AZ if i need to get it back to phx for whatever reason and insurance if moving it out of rv park. I'll have to look into that promissory note. I'm not really into breaking laws so whatever i have to do to cover my ass, I'll do it.

Good tips Roberto. It is something we plan on staying in for years. Don't really care what it looks like, just as long as fridge, a/c, and shitter work ;)

YumaJames

Ya, the Promissory note, or TIP (Temporary Import Permit), is a weird thing. Over the last few years, I've brought my toy hauler and boat in several times through the San Luis Port of Entry (it may be different coming through Gila Bend) and not once was ever asked for it. I had no clue it even existed, or I had to buy one, just like you I follow the laws and wanna do things right so I don't get hassled/in trouble. And when I brought my boat in about two months ago for a few days of fishing, they asked me for it, and they were surprised when I said I've crossed several times and was never asked before. In the office at the San Luis Port of Entry (Mexico side) where I had to buy the TIP there was a big sign on the wall that said all RVs and boats brought into Mexico need a TIP. Being Labor Day long weekend I'm sure a few hundred RVs and a few boats crossed at the San Luis border heading to El Golfo and Rocky Point and not one had a TIP on em. From what I can tell I'm sure it is a Mexico law, and I was probably only the second guy in the history of the world to ever be asked for it.

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
There are many travel trailers for sale right there in Rocky Point. I bought mine there in 2000. Easy peasy.

flicks

Yeah, Maricopa County has emissions. Although if i did buy a diesel, I'd probably have it registered in a different county or try to get a waiver. But, despite the great deals on them, it looks like a PITA to go that route. So travel trailer it is. But for some reason the aren't many good deals around here to find a 30ft+. Tons of 5th wheels, but I don't have a hitch for it (i have a short bed).

I was under the impression if it was not registered, it could be confiscated, but then again, you guys are right, its just being pulled a few hundred feet from storage to beach, so who would know. But i think its cheap enough, i will register it i AZ if i need to get it back to phx for whatever reason and insurance if moving it out of rv park. I'll have to look into that promissory note. I'm not really into breaking laws so whatever i have to do to cover my ass, I'll do it.

Good tips Roberto. It is something we plan on staying in for years. Don't really care what it looks like, just as long as fridge, a/c, and shitter work ;)
There are companies that will move the Travel Trailers for you. So you don't need a different hitch.

Roberto

There are companies that will move the Travel Trailers for you. So you don't need a different hitch.
My thought exactly. If you don't plan on hauling it back and forth and get a good deal on a fiver, might be the way to go. They certainly are more roomy and comfortable for your purpose. A slide out would be nice. Geoff at Border Movers can do it and he will take care of all the required paperwork. 480-232 3518. Tell him Roberto sent you.

DeeDee

We bring down our 33ft. 5th wheel, using a shortbox truck. you just need a shorter king pin hitch, no problem, all the turning radius you need

joester

2 salty dawgs
There are many travel trailers for sale right there in Rocky Point. I bought mine there in 2000. Easy peasy.
I agree - go look at the rv's for sale in RP, there are some good rv repair folks that people here can recommend to you.
We hope to be doing that in 2-3 years - looked pretty hard at a nice 5th wheel last year - we're just not quite ready yet. For now, driving our Class C down works for us.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There's a nice 5th wheel available in my hood owned by an American women who doesn't need it anymore it is priced right but it is not by the beach and we don't get a lot of gringos driving through our neighborhood.

Mine is 34 ft 3 slide 5th wheel and it is a little long for the space but no problem. We set it up in PDO about Oct 15th and it stays in that space until mid Spring. I think it is about
$ 460.00 per month and that includes everything. We do insure it by the year as we do our vehicle. Much lower than by the day rate. As our unit is large and heavy we save the cost oan problems of hauling it down and back. I just let the park of what day to expect us and when we drive in they go get the unit and set it in your space. We go back and fourth in a TJ Jeep. Now how easy is that.
One other thing is if you have a pet. Be sure you have a veterinary certificate of some kind showing it has all of its shots and they are up to date. We just sort of push our dog down so she does not show to much and with the green light just go on through and do not look to the left so they can not wave you over. We do have all the papers but do not like to be stopped.

On a motor home remember higher value means high Insurance, high license plate tags and a second motor to contend with. It also means you need to tow a second vehicle to just drive around in.