Building aircraft in Rp

Awhile ago there was an article in the Tucson paper about a factory opening in rocky point that would be building aircrafts. What is the status of that. I haven't heard anything more

GV Jack

Snorin God
FYI...There is a symposium starting this afternoon in Las Vegas that is sponored by a number of U.S. aircraft
manufacturers that have facilities in Mexico. They have invited a number of existing and potential sub-tier
parts suppliers to attend. The purpose is to encourage companies to develop a supply chain to provide parts
to their Mexican plants. It seems they have problems getting good suppliers who can handle going through
the rigamero (sp) of exporting. It is really simple and I wish I were still in the business because I would be
glad to set up something in Rocky Point or Guymus to help them out.

By the way Jerry, that is an excellent link and I forwarded it to a number of my friends in the business.

Kelney

I dont know, maybe it is just me. Having a plane built in a third world country is not exactly a strong selling point.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I dont know, maybe it is just me. Having a plane built in a third world country is not exactly a strong selling point.
Kelney in this day and age "third world country" is just a label that means that your bank account has one zero less than those countries not in the third world list, by the way do you know that the american car you are driving is most probably made in Mexico for the most part? better than china IMHO!!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Yeah, I heard they whittled the turbo fan blades out of wood. Good tropical hardwood though.
That's almost funny, if it weren't true. In the '60's the Chance Vought F-8's had sections that were aluminum bonded to......

BALSA WOOD. Each piece by itself was plyable and easily bent. Once bonded it was a solid section. Wouldn't have believed it,
if I didn't see it. By the way, that was done in a third world country.....Buffalo, NY.

Hooch

Well that could be about the same time that Mexico comes up with a spaceshuttle, so mark it down on your calender ;)

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
The parts for commercial airliners such as the Boeing 727 and 737 were once manufactured almost exclusively in the United States. But the parts on today's big jets, such as Boeing's 777 and its planned 787, are made in such countries as China, Japan, Brazil, Italy, France and Australia, in addition to the United States. Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, GE and other plane manufacturers buy parts made overseas largely because they are cheaper.

GV Jack

Snorin God
largely because they are cheaper.
That is true, in part. They also buy over there as part of reciprocity agreements.
It goes the same way with military aircraft and missiles.

jerry

Yeah, I heard they whittled the turbo fan blades out of wood. Good tropical hardwood though.
And yet the average forum mans man drives a Ford F250 at high speeds while drinking a Mexican beer or three......both products made in Mexico

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Brazil has been producing what I call "puddle jumper" (regional) commercial aircraft for many, many years. Some of the most economical, reliable and longest lasting planes out there. They offer all kinds of commercial, private and military aircraft.

Embraer
emb120_5.jpg