Buying a Car how easy

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
every car dealer accepts bank transfers for the deal. It is not like in the states where you leave the lot the same day with the car...it is a process....it works just a bit slower

Kea

Thanks Russ. About how long does the process take? Is it something where we should plan to stay there a day or two? Or, something where we make multiple trips?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have never bought new here but I have friends that have. It took them 2 days to complete the process because they were foreigners. It mostly has to do with the delay for transferring money from the States to Mexico. There is a huge push for transparency in large transactions and I am sure that is part of the delay. Your best choices for a fast deal will be in Hermosillo which is a great place to hang out for a few days seeing everything there while waiting for the deal to complete, Mexicali is closer but selection will be less, Caborca tends to favor the truck side of the market as it is a agri community. I would plan 3 days for this to take place. Once the car is purchased you have to register it locally. That requires you have a Mexican Drivers License and a local address, you may also need your passport, it takes about an hour to do the registration and cost vary based on the vehicle.

Roberto

Think there is some higher level of Immigration status than Tourist VIsa to get a Mex DL and purchase a Mex car;

Kea

Thanks. I have permanent residency & Sonoran drivrers license. Now, I just need the Mexican plated car to be complete the process.

I can also show an address on a CFE or TelMex bill.