Buying Gas in Mexico

A

azbeachboy

Mexican gas may be subject to duty fees
Comments 4 | Recommend 2
June 22, 2008 - 10:57PM
BY HOWARD FISCHER, BY HOWARD FISCHER
Phoenix - If you're going to Mexico to buy your gasoline, be sure to get a meal while you're there.

Or at least say you did. Otherwise you could wind up having to fill out a bunch of paperwork.

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol is warning that federal law imposes various regulations on buying foreign goods and bringing them back to the United States.

And that, said spokesman Brian Levin, includes gasoline.

Border city residents have always found it advantageous to purchase supplies, including gasoline, in Mexico.

But the spread between fuel in Arizona and south of the border now can make that a viable option for those living further away.

Which brings us back to the question of federal law.

Levin said if someone goes to Mexico for the express purpose of buying gasoline, that fuel is subject to importation requirements.

But if fuel is purchased while in Mexico on other business, that is considered "incidental'' to the trip.

That, Levin said, can include a visit with relatives, shopping or even having a meal.

Levin is not - NOT - encouraging anyone to lie when coming back across the border.

"There are going to be some questions asked'' about the reason for the trip and what is being brought back,'' he said. And Levin said customs agents are not looking to bust people.

"As long as it's in the vehicle they're driving, it's personal use,'' he said, "as long as they went down there for something else.''

If the purpose of the trip was just gasoline, that's not a big deal. Individuals are allowed to bring in a certain amount of foreign goods for their personal use - usually $800 - every 30 days.

But the value of the fuel will have to be declared. And that means paperwork.

The same is true if more fuel is being brought back than fits in the vehicle's regular gas tank. So someone with a truck full of 5-gallon cans will have to declare the fuel, as would someone who has installed a second fuel tank which is not connected to the engine.

Levin said what agents really are looking for are those who are buying gasoline for commercial purposes, whether to resell it or even for use in their own business. That triggers not just paperwork but also duties.

It's not much, though: Levin said it comes out to 10.5 cents for a full barrel.

But commercial importation also creates all sorts of requirements from other agencies, such as those of the Arizona Department of Transportation.

See archived 'News' Stories »

A

azbeachboy

I got this from another forum...
rvtraders

Posts: 657 Just a note, this weekend this was no diesel on the border towns or in Rocky Point. Trucks were parked at the truck stop waiting for the trucks to arrive. They hadn't arrived by 6 last nite. We just barely made it back.

I've been bringing back "extra" diesel for quite some time (even before it was more then double back in AZ).....I've been hassled a couple of times....once had to wait while the Customs people contacted DPS about my "transporting" diesel in a 55 gallon racing fuel drum, since the DOT guy at the border was gone already. They finally got hold of someone at DPS, who said it was ok. The last time I asked about it, I was told that there was a limitation of 118 gallons, which included any fuel in your tank. How they came up with that number, I wonder!

As for the report of no diesel fuel in RP....there are now several stations that sell it in town...besides the one coming into town, and the one out by Los Conchas.....I wonder if the "reporter" checked all of them.

I wonder if they'll keep the old station (just as you come in to town) when they finally open the new one out by Desert Oasis???

dmcauley

I left RP Sat. morning w/half a tank of diesel figuring to fill up in Sonoyta but the 2 stations I went to there had none.