Caborca Highway to Hell

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The first 30 miles of the Caborca Highway out of Penasco are BEAT TO HELL!!! Holly sh!t. Pot holes the size of bath tubs. Luckily my 33'' tires and aftermarket suspension on the truck make it not so bad but my god it's bad. Came down to Santo Tomas on Wednesday. Got all paranoid with all of the food confiscation talk lately and took the necessary precaution to SMUGGLE in most of my food, including but not limited to: Chicken, produce, eggs, sandwich meat and cheese. I seriously felt like a criminal. What a joke. Needless to say, OBVIOUSLY (OBV) I got the green light! SMH

It's been interesting the first two days here in ST. Got the truck stuck on the beach twice, once last night and once today. Today I got it buried down to the rear bumper and had the rear axle sitting on the sand. Made for an interesting late afternoon dick-a-round a thon. Luckily now Jerry and I know exactly what to do in this event and it involves owning and using a hi-lift jack. Glad I own one and this is actually the first time I've ever had to use it to truly get myself UNF#CKED. Worked well and we got it out in about 15 minutes. I guess that's why 4wd>2wd. ALWAYS REMEMBER 12 pounds of air in the tire and you can make 2wd work. I had fun messing around in the truck up and down the wide open beach. I drove 4 miles up the beach doing 60mph. It was a blast!

The trip is just starting to heat up as tomorrow Jerry and I are going to venture south to PUERTO LOBOS in search of my first ever career Yellowtail and furthermore from the KAYAK I might add. Wish me luck! I think it's in the bag and I'll be disappointed if I can't nail one. Good night from paradise.

#SantoTomas4Tonight

#PuertoLobos4Tomorrow

#ChollaBay4Life

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
ALWAYS REMEMBER 12 pounds of air in the tire and you can make 2wd work. I had fun messing around in the truck up and down the wide open beach. I drove 4 miles up the beach doing 60mph. It was a blast!
I used to have an International Scout that was my Mexico vehicle. Can't tell you how many times I buried it on the beach. The whole key with airing down the tires is know the breaking point. That is, how low you can go to get yourself unstuck without breaking the bead on the rim. Do that, and you're screwed. That said, 15 lbs. was my magic number and the tires would look virtually flat. But jump in it and hit the throttle in 4-wheel drive and the tires would turn into big sand paddles and the Scout would climb right out of the sand. It is a VERY scary feeling when you're down below the tideline with the tide coming up and starting to lap at the bottom of your doors! :eek:o_O:eek:

When it comes to tires for Mexico? There is only one -- BF Goodrich ATs There is a reason they have "Baja Champion" stamped on the triple sidewall!

Good luck on the yellowtail! And slap Jerry upside da head for me, okay? Hahahahah!!!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
WELL... No Yellowtail. Jerry and I went down around noonish and I fished from 2pm-630pm. Saw Leigh, talked to him briefly. This is hard to say but I guess it was honestly too PERFECT out today to make the fishing good. That only makes sense if you have tried fishing on a day like today. It was literally too perfect of a day to catch any fish. 80 degrees and dead flat calm. Water clarity like I've only seen maybe once or twice in Penasco. The water was absolutely crystal clear. You could see the bottom with detail in 20 feet of water. Fishing was tough. Caught 4 fish, two Triggers (big boys!) and two Cabrilla (decent size for Cabrilla). Called it quits at 630 and drove back to Santo Tomas. I can say that I definitely CAUGHT the LOBOS itch! I'll be back! Hopefully soon and hopefully better fishing. Thanks again to Jerry and a big shout out to Leigh.

JimMcG

We just returned from another beautiful, fun filled few days in Penasco, doing the usual kayaking, sand bicycling, tequila sipping, beer drinking and cigar smoking, after dining on red snapper, shrimp, steak and asparagus. The water was as clear and calm as I have ever seen it, with depth visibility all the way to the bottom, just perfect for kayaking and paddle boarding. The Caborca road has also been patched as far as we went, with no longer any signs of fox hole sized pot holes, for which I was thankful. Indeed just another dull, relaxed and wonderful time in paradise with perfect weather.

The first 30 miles of the Caborca Highway out of Penasco are BEAT TO HELL!!! Holly sh!t. Pot holes the size of bath tubs. Luckily my 33'' tires and aftermarket suspension on the truck make it not so bad but my god it's bad. Came down to Santo Tomas on Wednesday. Got all paranoid with all of the food confiscation talk lately and took the necessary precaution to SMUGGLE in most of my food, including but not limited to: Chicken, produce, eggs, sandwich meat and cheese. I seriously felt like a criminal. What a joke. Needless to say, OBVIOUSLY (OBV) I got the green light! SMH

It's been interesting the first two days here in ST. Got the truck stuck on the beach twice, once last night and once today. Today I got it buried down to the rear bumper and had the rear axle sitting on the sand. Made for an interesting late afternoon dick-a-round a thon. Luckily now Jerry and I know exactly what to do in this event and it involves owning and using a hi-lift jack. Glad I own one and this is actually the first time I've ever had to use it to truly get myself UNF#CKED. Worked well and we got it out in about 15 minutes. I guess that's why 4wd>2wd. ALWAYS REMEMBER 12 pounds of air in the tire and you can make 2wd work. I had fun messing around in the truck up and down the wide open beach. I drove 4 miles up the beach doing 60mph. It was a blast!

The trip is just starting to heat up as tomorrow Jerry and I are going to venture south to PUERTO LOBOS in search of my first ever career Yellowtail and furthermore from the KAYAK I might add. Wish me luck! I think it's in the bag and I'll be disappointed if I can't nail one. Good night from paradise.

#SantoTomas4Tonight

#PuertoLobos4Tomorrow

#ChollaBay4Life

I was told by a local that the Caborca road from Rocky Point is bad. He said the road from Sonoyta to Caborca is much better. It would involve a detour if you are going from Rocky Point to Caborca. But he said the driving time is the same due to the slow driving on the Rocky Point/Caborca route.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I just went to Hermosillo by way of Penasco to Caborca, my drive time with crew was 4:45 the road is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe. Yes there are pot holes but if I can navigate a 15 passenger van full of peeps down the road you can certainly drive your car or truck on it as well. There are sections you drive slow through and there are sections where speed is OK you just have to pay attention. I do not feel that driving to Sonoyta and then to Caborca would be anywhere the same amount of time, I feel it would be an hour further to go that route. Since I have to be in Hermosillo at a certain time I will always take the direct route from Penasco to Caborca. Once you pass the contsruction at the Herradura mine location and just past about 3 miles - the road pens up and is great. FYI....If you want to go through Sonoyta to get to Caborca from Penasco that's good too, I am just speaking from my experiences.

Russ I looked at Google maps (I know they are often wrong) but this is what Google shows
Penasco to Sonoyta then highway 2 to Caborca drive time 3 hrs 3 min
Penasco to Caborca direct by Route 37 3 hrs 16 min

jerry

I was told by a local that the Caborca road from Rocky Point is bad. He said the road from Sonoyta to Caborca is much better. It would involve a detour if you are going from Rocky Point to Caborca. But he said the driving time is the same due to the slow driving on the Rocky Point/Caborca route.
The road is good...flat out but do not take it at night.

Last edited:

jerry

You mean the direct Route 37 to Caborca is good all the way!
Well the potholes were no problem after the first 10 miles headed toward the Mayan.The road is great pothole wise after that.You do have two small detours onto good dirt by the military checkpoint( you only stop heading back to Penasco) Like I said try not to travel at dusk...Mexicans headlights can be cross eyed! Oh, hit the butcher store on Obregon and one of the Asaderos in Caborca. Viva caborca gives you maps

MIRAMAR

What's the name of the restaurant in Caborca about block off the main road with the delicious Carne Asada tacos?

Terry C

We went into town last night for dinner from Playa Encanto and there are new pot holes coming up in different places. The ones replaced seem to be holding up well for now,,,,, Drive careful.