Can't bring used clothing into mexico

garyd

If you are bringing in clothing for donations etc. you need to pretend they are your personal belongings by putting them in a suitcase or travel bag. Got stopped on Friday coming in to Mexico and they are stopping people from brining in used and new clothing because people are selling them and hurting the retail stores. Can't make this crap up.

Yeah....but it's ok for all those Mexican pickup trucks who hit the yard sales in Tuscon and Phoenix, and then head back loaded sky high....I wonder how much "duty" they pay????

garyd

I read an article a couple of weeks ago that said they were cracking down on the importation of used clothing. It said that clothing is sold by the 1000 pound bale for like $500 and then sold on the streets of Mexico.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah, I got a red light for the first time in 20 years. I had 4 big garbage bags of clothes, 1 box of clothes and a new A/C unit out of the box. Only one bag of the clothes was showing and when he ask me if it was used clothing, forgive me Lord but I said they were my bed linens.

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
Just be careful who you give it to. I know firsthand that Mark gets it to the right places, but Francisco Hernandez Mandujano used to sell the items we would bring for donation from a warehouse he had. Found that out too late.

I second that about Mark and Barb!!!

You can always drop off kids clothes at the Esperanza Children's Home outside of town.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What do I have to do penance for Joe? I did nothing wrong......I believe the Lord will forgive a little white lie to help the kids of Nuevo Penasco. My linens were behind the white garbage bag in plain sight. I didn't know which bag he was talking about..........LOL

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
What do I have to do penance for Joe? I did nothing wrong......I believe the Lord will forgive a little white lie to help the kids of Nuevo Penasco. My linens were behind the white garbage bag in plain sight. I didn't know which bag he was talking about..........LOL
It is never a sin to lie to those who will stop a good deed.:woo: