Car Jacking - 12/26/09

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
This email was forwarded to me from a forum member. As best I can tell, it's perfectly legit, although I haven't been in Penasco to verify any of this. I'm posting it to let everyone know to stay alert.

I know I often travel after dark at this time of year due to the short days. I'm usually not by myself in my truck, but I am often the only vehicle on the road for miles at a time. May be worth slowing down a bit and traveling with a group of others you see heading down the road.

*Dear Bella Sirena Homeowners,*

Unfortunately, I need to share with you a disturbing incident that occurred to the family of fellow Bella Sirena homeowners on their trip to Penasco on Saturday, December 26, 2009. When they were about five miles south of Sonoita at about 5:40 PM, they were carjacked. Their SUV with all its contents was taken by armed men. Very shortly thereafter, they were picked up by American travelers and taken back to the border and were later taken to Penasco by the police. Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident.

I have spoken with several authorities about this incident. There is unprecedented cooperation going on between the police in Sonoita and Penasco and the state police and governor’s office in Sonora. They are very hopeful that they will be able to apprehend the perpetrators of this crime quickly.

I felt that it was my duty to make you aware of this incident. My husband and I traveled to Penasco on Sunday, December 27 at midday and had no problems whatsoever. Perhaps the following tips may make our travels to Rocky Point safer:

1. Travel during daylight hours if possible.
2. If traveling at night, travel in groups. If you are not with a group, wait at the border until other Americans cross and then ask to caravan with them. There is always safety in numbers.
3. The emergency number in Mexico is 066 (equal to 911 in the US).

I have spent a great deal of time and effort finding out as much as possible about this incident before communicating it to the community. Primarily, I wanted to ensure that I had all the facts so not to inadvertently alarm anyone with misrepresentations related to the incident. I certainly love coming to Rocky Point and am not suggesting anyone stay away. Incidents like this can happen anywhere, even in our own country. I just feel that it is important to remind ourselves that when traveling anywhere, whether in the US or in any foreign country, that we must always be vigilant and use reasonable precautionary measures.

Jean Danzer
Bella Sirena HOA President

Kenny

I heard about this incident, and another attempt at a jacking by the same bad guy's some hours before this one. I heard this story Saturday from someone who lives in Rocky Point, and we're both wondering why there has been no news reports as the lady involved in the car jacking was supposed to have been from Canada, and a journalist...I'm also wondering why this report has no mention of the attempted jacking before this one, because the two party's were alleged to have met in Sonoita. It looks like the what I heard about the other attempted jacking, and this one are getting blurred and mixed together...I'll wait for confirmation on this deal... We've heard way to many wild tales to jump on board without it.
Stuarts right, heads up!! Use some common sense, just like in Phoenix or Tucson.

Last edited:

Kenny

Dog gone, I wish the edit deal would stay up....OK, I checked and I received my email about this incident on Sunday, not Saturday, and the bad guy's were supposed to have been in a reddish colored Ford Expedition, so don't caravan with a reddish colored Ford Expedition.

Last edited:
Didn't quite understand the sequence of events, but were the hijaackers originally caravaning with the Canadian?

Kenny

Didn't quite understand the sequence of events, but were the hijaackers originally caravaning with the Canadian?
No, that was a joke.. If you read Stuarts post it's suggested that you Caravan with someone you meet on the road that's headed down.

B

bahiatrader

An increased military presence instantly quells that kind of activity. You should be thankful for their presence.

They used to trouble me. After the years they don't. We ran into a group of about ten at the old train depot on the El Gulfo run about six years ago. I have photos standing next to them. I don't know why they were there but I have an idea that it had something to do with contraband.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
This incident has severely pissed off the administration in Penasco. When these guys are caught (they will be caught) they will wish they would have stayed home that day instead of doing this bad deed. They will be poster children as to why you should not hassle folks on their way to Penasco. This is a small town and things like this are not tolerated. Everybody knows everybody and it is only a matter of days when all of this comes into the light. I still love it here and do not fear because the scene of the entire world is getting increasingly more desperate and as moral humans we just have to be more careful in everything we do. Just be good to everyone you deal with.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Actor Carly Pope and brother recovering with broken bones after carjacking

December 30, 2009 8:31 p.m.
Be the first to comment
Print article
Text size
VANCOUVER, B.C. - Vancouver actor Carly Pope and her brother are recovering with broken bones after a bizarre carjacking in downtown Vancouver that has led to charges against an Alberta man.

Kris Pope, also an actor, confirmed that he and his sister were injured in the incident on Tuesday, although he said he couldn't say anything about what actually happened.

"We're recovering, but we're pretty banged up," Kris Pope told The Canadian Press in a brief interview Wednesday.

"Carly's got a couple of broken vertebrae, and I've got a broken wrist, possibly a broken ankle and a smashed up face."

Vancouver police have said the altercation began when a screaming man ran up to a BMW at an intersection and jumped on the hood of the car. Police wouldn't comment on the Popes' involvement, saying only that the BMW was driven by a man with his sister as a passenger.

Police said when the driver got out, the suspect jumped inside, put the car in reverse and slammed into five other cars before crashing into the CBC building.

David Fomradas, 31, faces charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and dangerous driving.

Pope said he and his sister were released from hospital later Tuesday evening.

The siblings were raised in Vancouver.

Carly Pope has appeared in several movies and television series, including "24," "Californication" and "Robson Arms," while her brother Kris has had brief appearances in TV shows such as "The L Word" and "Smallville."

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Carjacking Warning (UK)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/6538358/Carjacking-warning.html

Daily Telegraph [UK]
11 November 2009

Carjacking warning
Drivers urged to be aware of potential car-theft scam.

By David Williams

Motorists have been warned to be wary of a new carjacking ruse in the run-up to Christmas.

Thieves are reportedly leaving notes or leaflets on the rear windows of parked cars. Drivers don't spot the piece of paper until they start the engine and look over their shoulder to manoeuvre.

When they get out to retrieve the note carjackers are reportedly pouncing into the driver's seat and making off with the car.

Details of the ruse have been widely circulated via an anonymous email. [...]

Posted by Brian Chapman at 1:13 PM
Labels: Crime Legends

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!

.content-nav a{color:#2262CC;margin:0 3px;} Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Swine flu | Traffic | Westside
L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »
Woman carjacked a block away from Foothill police station

November 21, 2009 | 9:37 am
A man who allegedly used a shotgun to carjack a woman about a block away from the Foothill police station in Pacoima led police on a chase before barricading himself in an Arleta home for several hours. He was arrested late Friday night, Los Angeles police said.
Oscar Orozco, 22, allegedly brandished a shotgun to force the woman out of her car near Osborne Street and Telfair Avenue around 7:30 p.m., said Sgt. Andrew Chase of the Foothill station.
The woman ran to the nearby police station to report the crime and police pursued the suspect in cars and by helicopter.
The chase led officers to a home on Kewen Avenue. Orozco allegedly barged in, forcing the two occupants out, while a young woman hid inside a bathroom and called police. The SWAT team responded. After several hours, police caught Orozco trying to escape out a window of the home.
Orozco was taken to a nearby hospital for minor injuries. No one else was injured, Chase said. Orozco was booked on suspicion of carjacking.
-- Baxter Holmes

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
2 People Shot, 2 In Custody After Carjacking, Chase

Suspects Shoot Victim, Police Shoot Suspect

POSTED: 2:48 pm EST December 24, 2009
UPDATED: 9:38 pm EST December 24, 2009
JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. -- Police said one man was taken to the hospital in serious condition and two suspects were in custody after a carjacking, chase and standoff that led police across Jeffersonville, Ind.Police said it all started around 11 a.m. on Thursday on Market Street near Walnut Street. That's where they said two suspects dumped a man who had been shot in the head on the side of the road."Callers identified a subject being pushed out or shoved out of a car at that intersection and was on the ground -- he had been shot in the head," said Detective Todd Hollis with the Jeffersonville Police Department.Police said the suspects -- one male and one female -- led police on a chase before abandoning their vehicle near the intersection of Eighth and Fulton streets. They then took off on foot."He (the officer) found the van still running and the door open and there was blood in the vehicle so he knew he had the right vehicle," Hollis said.Police said the suspects then went door to door, trying to gain entry into apartments and homes. They eventually got into a building on Indiana Avenue, a few doors down from Pamela Nolin."We looked outside and I'm like, 'What is going on around here?' And the officer down at the very end of the street said, 'Either get in your car or get the kid and yourself inside and lock the doors,'" Nolin said.Police blocked off her entire neighborhood and put it in lockdown, as they closed in on the building the two suspects were in. After several tense minutes, both emerged. The female suspect surrendered, but the male suspect bolted again, police said."He looked around and he saw what was happening and took off across our two neighbors' yards, cut across half of my yard and then he went between the two buildings and up the hill and the two shots were fired and they had him -- he was cornered," Nolin said.Police said one of those shots stopped the suspect in his tracks."When I saw them coming back from behind the building, he was limping and they were holding him," Nolin said.Police said they later found two handguns and bloody clothing inside the building the two suspects were hiding in.With both suspects in custody, Nolin's neighborhood is at ease once again."I'm glad that they got him and we don't have to worry about our kids going outside," Nolin said.Police said the male suspect was shot in the leg and is expected to recover from his injuries. Hollis added that both suspects had prior criminal histories. He said possible charges include attempted murder, felony robbery and resisting arrest.The victim, who police described as a middle-aged Hispanic male, is in serious condition at University Hospital.Police have not released the names of anyone involved.

I heard about the incident, too, but couldn't post about it without confirmation. That would have been irresponsible, to my way of thinking. Big thanks to Rosy for a job well done.

Kenny

I heard about the incident, too, but couldn't post about it without confirmation. That would have been irresponsible, to my way of thinking. Big thanks to Rosy for a job well done.
Why did it take 5 day's for this to come out? I heard about this incident and another attempted carjacking that same night on Sunday morning, and I live in Prescott! I didn't post it out of respect for the person who sent me the info, but for the story to be held back this long is just wrong.
If what you think you are doing by bringing all those other carjacking stories to our attention was balance Mexicoruss, where's the story, where's our story? I thought Mexico had a free press, but it seems to be run by businessmen with vested interest's in the tourist trade. If there was "balance" we would have had the story right away with ALL THE WHERE, WHY, AND WHENS in place as it should be in all democracy's with a free press.
I've been going down to PP and Cholla Bay since I was a kid, over fifty years, and this isolated incident will not discourage myself or my friends in any way from coming down. I will like Stuart, Chari and others, continue to come down by myself with less concern than driving in many parts of Tucson or Phoenix.
As far as the military trucks on the road with masked guy's with automatic rifles is concerned. It may be reassuring to us who know the county and how things are done here, but it scares the crap out of the average tourist.

Kenny

Last edited: