Coastal Highway

Jim

I had some friends return to San Diego via the Coastal Highway about 10 days ago. I talked to them a few days ago and they said that it was 99% finished with just a couple short gravel spots. I think that the announcement was about 30 days premature. Good news though.

azdiva

I was involved in a ATV trip from RP to El Golfo last year. Distance about 80 miles. We left
RP and traveled about 20 miles on the new highway. It was impressive with picnic ramadas
every 10 miles or so. There were a few settlements along the way with most inhabitants
waving as we past by. Halfway the road ended. We then traveled along a dirt road along the railroad
littered with the remains of abandoned cars and trucks which were apparently stuck or wrecked.
There is an old abandoned passenger rail station about 50 miles north of RP along the new road.
Here is where we saw heavy equipment and workers who were building the road. This was their
settlement and maintenance area, It was heavily shaded with tamarisk and very old mesquite groves. The workers said say only had about 20 kilos left to complete. We then headed west through an expansive salt flat and tidal marsh...10 miles to the beach. We then traversed the beach at low tide because of the 10 mile long rock cliffs at high tide, passage would be impossible. 25 miles to El Golfo de Santa Clara. The highway is along the railroad,however it curves west toward El Golfo.
There is not a new road from El Golfo to San Luis. It is a rolling 2 lane road similar to the Sonoyta
RP road before they repaved and added shoulders. The problem is this, they can get people back
and forth from RP to El Golfo, But from El Golfo to San Luis slow boat!!! They need to rebuild
the road from highway 2 to El Golfo to get anyone remotely interested in driving from I-8 to
Mexicali or San Luis. Also Yuma County is planning a commercial bypass around Somerton to
relieve the heavy stop and go commercial traffic to and from the border. With the increase of
border crimes in TJ, most Californians will most likely shun Mexico 2. Gringos feel safer with
the company of other gringos(Las Palomas). Only the adventurous types would even consider
this route from Southern CA. Somebody's "California Dreamin". Remember there is a passenger
train from mexicali to San Luis to Rocky Point, and there don't seem to be many calif tourists
getting off the train at RP. Just my 2 cents

S

Submarine

I think the more Californians that know about and take this new expressway to Rocky Point the better!

jerry

I noticed they fixed the huge potholes in the "Coastal highway" from the railroad tracks south past the mayan Palace all the way to the 3 Agua Chile seafood restaurants last week.
The new sign to the airport was up too. I have seen no progress near Santo Tomas so i guess they are going to do the rest of it on the cheap or never...hope I'm wrong
Kind of funny they wouldn't fix the road from the airport to town.It is pretty dangerous even in it's present pothole free state.

Jim

The road is complete!!! It has been confirmed. Gov. Bours is supposed to come to Penasco on the 17th to do the big bla bla bla ceremony.

E

El Semental

jerry said:
I noticed they fixed the huge potholes in the "Coastal highway" from the railroad tracks south past the mayan Palace all the way to the 3 Agua Chile seafood restaurants last week.
There was a press conference at the Mayan last week announcing a Golf event in February. They hoped to have the US media in attendance, the Sonora Secretary of Tourism was there and some golf people from Az. I think that's why the potholes got repaired. There are about 90 college female golfers from Universities around the US scheduled to attend the event.

dmcauley

Yes the road is complete.
For all the sad Sams--The reason no passengers get off the train in PP is because there hasn't been a passenger train to PP for several years-- A lot of passengers do get of the freight trains in PP but I don't think any one really wants this type of clientelle.