Come on down............

R

Reggie

We are in RP and enjoying our week here. The fishing has been good (flounder etc.) and we are
happy campers. We are aware of the swine flu, and are eating in our rig and taking some precautions. The weather is ideal and it's a great place for some R&R.

Good to hear that you are all having a good time. We are planning on a trip at the end of May. Staying at Sonoran Sun. Usually crowded for the holiday weekend. Don't expect it to be since all the bad press.
The only thing keeping me from going at this point is if Janet closes the border.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That would be my only concern. I know we all joke about being stranded in Paradise but I couldn't be there for a month. I'm going to watch the developments as I have a 10 day trip planned mid May.

dwig222

We were thinking of going down last Tuesday. My son works for United Blood Services Nationally and he said there is serious talk about closing the border. He made me swear I wouldn't go down. I'm so fearless down there, but I wouldn't want to get stranded either.

Damn, I hate hearing that. I am still going to make my reservations while I can. It's still a little less than a month away. Hopefully the condition won't get bad enough for border closures. I am staying hopeful.

There are at least 4 reported cases in Maricopa County so far, and none in RP from what I have heard. Sounds like a safe place to be.

We are in need of some serious beach time here in our house.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I was down in mid March. It was cold! I was SO looking forward to 10 days of perfect beach weather. I'm not afraid to be stranded there for a month. I have money and I speak Spanish. I'm still working is the issue. I couldn't be gone for a month. It would be too hard on my colleagues as we are already furloughed 2 days a month and have way more cases than we should. I'm a social worker for the state. :(

G

gunner

We had a trip planned with some friends for this weekend. They where told by the Sonoran Sun, NO refund or rescheduling of thier reservation. Off they go and here we sit, I just can't miss a couple weeks of work if they close the boarder.

J

Jamie75

The Govt is NOT going to close the border. Maybe weeks ago it MIGHT have made sense, but now, it's already here! Even Obama said if we closed the borders now it would be like closing the barn doors AFTER all the horses got out. I don't like what the man says 99% of the time, but this makes sense!
The WHO said today the reports of new cases in Mexico have leveled off..good news!

Don't cancel your trips people..head down, enjoy!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I posted on the restaurant forum in answer to Sunshine's question about what should she do, stay or leave. Today, Obama had a press conference and he said he would NOT close the borders as it is too late now. My 10 day trip in mid May is back on. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I need quality beach time! I work for the state.................... :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ladyjeeper said:
I was down in mid March. It was cold! I was SO looking forward to 10 days of perfect beach weather. I'm not afraid to be stranded there for a month. I have money and I speak Spanish. I'm still working is the issue. I couldn't be gone for a month. It would be too hard on my colleagues as we are already furloughed 2 days a month and have way more cases than we should. I'm a social worker for the state. :(

I am looking forward to the same beach weather myself. We have never been in May, I hear it is perfect. Speaking of furloughs, we just got word at my work of 12 days (96hrs) for the next fiscal.
And more layoffs......not in my dept thank goodness.
I really need a vacation. RP.......here we come !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dwig222

I think we'll know in the next few days whether or not they will raise this to a level 6. Ladyjeep, I would go if I were you. Just keep your TV on so you can see what's going on. It's only an hour to the border. Have fun!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Ha Ha,
I remember being down there one time when we started bombing somebody, can't remember who. We were all sprawled out on the sundeck at Smuggler's Cove drinkin' and yappin' and all of a sudden people started THROWING their stuff in their motor homes, just crazy running around disconnecting hoses and plugs and shouting. I went down and asked somebody what was going on and they said we just started bombing whoever it was, you better hurry up and pack, we'll be at war, they'll close the border and you need to go back to the states, bla bla. I went back upstairs, picked up my rum and coke, told my friends what was going on and we watched the show. They all went out of there burning rubber and shouting at us to "leave, you fools!" All of us regulars enjoyed the rest of the weekend alone. It was hysterical! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm planning on being down in Penasco May 14-17....and short of the border being closed going in to Mexico, will be there!!!

I think the media has blown this whole thing out of proportion...I don't recall this much coverage on any one topic in ages....from what I have read, there are 35,000-50,000 deaths each year from the flu....this one so far has been super mild!!! Some of the foreign governments haven't helped out either....stopping flights to/out of Mexico. I wonder how many foreign visitors die as a result of "Montezuma's Revenge" each year (dehydration/etc from food poisoning)? Even the "educators", who should know better, have overreacted throughout the US with the closing of schools....as if the kids who may have been infected already won't expose any of their friends while they are home. :roll: :roll:

rockyptjoe said:
I'm planning on being down in Penasco May 14-17....and short of the border being closed going in to Mexico, will be there!!!quote]

Hey Joe, are you coming down for the Whiplash Race? That promises to be a fun weekend.

wendell

we will be down from 5/11 thru 7/5. our only fear is if they closed the border before we got to Mex. This whole thing has been absolutely ridiculous. Unfortunately the Mexican people are the ones that will pay the price for our government's overreaction

we will be there as well........ I agree with all of you on the media hype. You always take your chances crossing the border. Never know whats going to happen. It used to be you were going to get stopped by some fake federally and have to give them all your money to get back on your way. Or the highway robbers our parents used to warn us about when we were kids....(although I never got to go just for that reason :lol: )

I'm not the only one who has said this. "If you don't go, you won't know"

I say load up and move out.

Kenny

The New Terror in the Middle East: Swine

A spokesman for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt calls swine flu "more serious than a hydrogen bomb" during a symposium on the health scare. Egypt's parliament votes to "cull pigs immediately and one parliamentarian proposes criminalizing hog farming.

The United Arab Emirates bans the import of pork products as a precautionary measure and several supermarkets in the sheikhdom yank them off the shelves. Meanwhile, Israeli health official calls for world health officials to change the name of "Swine Flu" to "Mexican Flu," since Mexico is where the new flu allegedly originated from and pigs are offensive to both Jews and Muslims. That, however, did not sit well with Mexico's ambassador to Israel.

There is hysteria about swine flu in the Middle East, yet only two confirmed cases were found in the entire region, in Israel.

For the past three days, swine flu has become the lead story on many Arab and Israeli networks. Reports about attacks in Iraq and other hot spots seem to have all but vanished for the time being. The new terror in the Middle East is swine.
Read More and Share Your Thoughts on the Huffington Post.