computer virus

joester

2 salty dawgs
hey now everybody - wanted to post about this virus that attacked my work computer Monday morning. I did not visit any new sites, or open anything odd - but a message popped up in the middle of my screen asking if I wanted to install "antivirus 2008".
of course I've been told by our IT gal to never install anything, so I clicked on the X on the top right of the box, but it appeared again, and again, and again. I restarted my computer, did a de-frag, and it seemed to be ok. I was still checking my e-mail, and a new message pops up - do I want to install "Antivirus 2009". I clicked the top right X, and it came up one more time, and I clicked on it again.
frustrated, I tried ti defrag - and it would not allow the operation.
I called my IT gal, she logged onto my computer, and long story - it was those clicks that installed the 2 viruses - found it out after.
today, as she was trying a complete new re-format, the hard drive was completely disabled, and my functions were gone. hard drive totally corrupted beyond repair.
She's pretty sharp, and I'm getting a new hard drive installed tomorrow, and software re-loaded.
everything was backed up on server, so no files lost.
not looking for answers here, there are none yet, other than kiss that hard drive goodbye.
just wanted to give you all a heads up on these virus messages.
altho e-mail did not seem to be affected, I'll be only logging onto this site from home, so my frequency of posts will probably decrease some - but Teri and I are still around, so don't worry.
Everyone please have a happy Holiday season - and we'll toast y'all at noon on Christmas day!
peace

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
I was infected with a variant of that one...antivirus xp 2008....ran a couple different virus programs, a couple spyware programs, even cleaned my registry. It had even disabled The registry backup in Windows. Did get the computer running, but my firewall was disabled, and couldn't reinstall it, and my CD burner software just kept asking for the install disk. When I tried to re-install the programs, they just bombed out during the install. Finally bit the bullet, and formatted the hard drive, and re-installed Windows. Took me almost a week to get my computer back to where it had been.