Cool Side trip to the Museo de Pinacates

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
:mexico:Enjoyed a moment finally getting off the road to the Museo de Pincates some 12 miles north of RP. A lovely gal introduced us to the facility which includes: A walk out to the dunes (early morning recommended!), 4000 year old lava flows, 200,000,000 year old rocks and a stunning display room, all tastefully done. There is a indoor amphitheater to watch the video describing the area and a small gift shop with drinks and light snacks. All of the this for only $5 pp and it includes access the the volcano tours in the main park. the museum was born in 2008 and the volcano park was upgraded back in 1992. Nice place for a sidetrip. Check out the roof and the massive solar project on the roof that can probably handle the huge group of air con units out the back. No expense was spared. Think of all the times you have zipped by! Well, its time you took a look or join RussBus for a R-T RP Adventure. I'll try and post some photos by the time the edit runs out. :mexico:

All purchases at the giftshop, benefit the park, museo and environs.

Last edited:

SunnyBunny

Looks really cool! Thanks for sharing the pics too. Going to RP this weekend. How do we get there once in RP or driving to RP? Thanks :)

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Is the entrance at about the halfway point coming down....at the little town, as you come around the curve?

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Is the entrance at about the halfway point coming down....at the little town, as you come around the curve?
Joe, that was the old entry, the turnoff to the new building is just north of the Pancho Villa Restaurant KM76 the area you are talking about is ejido nayarit at about km51, the new one is about halfway between the 2 places I mentioned.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No, I didn't google it, Joe. That was mean. I do know how to spell and I've passed the sign at least a hundred times........

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Come on Chari....smile..... I don't remember even seeing the sign....but then, I'm usually watching out for the slow moving vehicles in the area...

My gosh...there hasn't been a flurry of activity on the Forum like this in a while!!!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
No, I didn't, Bill. I knew it was Tohono but i didn't know what it meant. I didn't google it, after all. LOL!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
SunnyBunny- not to discourage you, but it's going to be warm (AKA hot) the further you get from the water. If you're planning another visit in the fall, that might be a better time to go there. Just a suggestion, but if you like the heat, go for it!