CORVINA in La Cholla !!

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Not to get political here at all, and I'm serious, but without enforcement these commercial fishermen will continue being entitled to "their catch" like so many in the US are entitled to "their catch, ie what the government gives them". At some point, both the fishermen in Mexico and the US citizen will wake up one day and realize they took too much, for too long and there is nothing left for the taking.

Again, this isn't left or right speak but truth speak. It's purely grade school arithmetic coupled with good 'ol common sense. Extremely sad in both examples.
That doesn't sound political to me at all....

It sounds like reality.

My personal (totally and wholly unsubstantiated, I'll grant you) opinion is that this planet can produce more than enough fish and wildlife to keep everyone alive, and healthy.

However, it can not produce enough to sustain industries where the root objective is the generation of profit, rather than the preservation of human sustenance.

It is the fisherman's DUTY to make sure every fish they catch is either released alive, or consumed. This is part of a creed that most ethical sportsman (both fisherman and hunters alike) live by.

Take Ric's large Black Seabass that is the subject of this thread - I know for a FACT that no part of that fish is being wasted.

Just as trophy hunting has been shamed to the outer fringes of the hunting world, so too must the pursuit of converting "fish into profit"

Now, none of this is intended as a criticism of the poor mexican fishermen at the bottom of the commercial food chain - it is more directed at the profiteers and price markup artists; and not just in Mexico.

I rail against the same people who pay 18 dollars a pound to the Massachussetts tuna fisherman, then spend 1000 bucks to fly the fish to Japan, where they get (on average) 100 dollars a pound for it.

Went fishing on the rocks this morning with my construction guy on Pelican Pt. Wind was blowing with waves pushing the fish closer to shore.
Caught 4 Corvina, 3 Pompanos and 5 Mackerals in 40 minutes between the two of us. The diving birds showed us
where to cast.

It's 6:15AM in the morning while I'm reading this. Now all I want for breakfast is smoked fish and nobody does that here in RP. All along the west coast, from Seattle to Ensenada, char-grilled fish tacos can be found in almost every community. Not here. We are so close too. Taco's Poblano has the perfect set-up for a fish grill. Dude makes the best carne asada on the planet, so I'd hate to see him flip, but if somebody did a fish joint like that, it would be perfect.

Char-grilled shrimp, fish. Smoked or roasted fish, oysters, clams. It's official. now I'm hungry.

I like reading about the fisheries around here and can't help but remember combat fishing in Alaska. For us, it was not about the sport, but more about getting enough reds to fill the freezer and smokers. Halibut fishing was the same thing. I hated catching the 100+ pounders, that was like reeling in a VW, I liked the 20-40 pounders because the meat was much firmer, we called that chicken halibut. Yums!

audsley

Am I seeing "smoked" and "char-grilled" being used interchangeably? In my mind, these are two entirely different articles. I'm guessing the fish at Blue Marlin and Humberto's are grilled, not smoked.

Fish are "smoked" to preserve them. Smoked fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I believe this is a common practice in the northwest and in Alaska. Lewis and Clark encountered it with the Nez Perce (and got sick.) I've never encountered it in the Southwest except in canned seafood in the grocery store, and I have no desire to try it.

Grilled or char-grilled fish, on the other hand, is an outstanding way to cook fish and shrimp, and ideal for do-it-yourselfers like me. I never wouldn't order grilled fish or shrimp in a restaurant since it's so easy to do at home or wherever you're staying. Shrimp basted in lemon butter or olive oil and garlic and maybe sprinkled with a spice of your choosing is terrific cooked over charcoal on a skewer or grill, and really easy to do. It's one of those things (like steak) that I never buy at a restaurant because I can make it just as good at home for a lot less money. I go to restaurants for stuff like pork adobada because that's a lot of work to make and mine is unlikely to measure up to what a real cook can produce. But anyone can grill fish, shrimp or oysters that are as tasty as any the professionals can turn out.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Am I seeing "smoked" and "char-grilled" being used interchangeably? In my mind, these are two entirely different articles. I'm guessing the fish at Blue Marlin and Humberto's are grilled, not smoked.

Fish are "smoked" to preserve them. Smoked fish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I believe this is a common practice in the northwest and in Alaska. Lewis and Clark encountered it with the Nez Perce (and got sick.) I've never encountered it in the Southwest except in canned seafood in the grocery store, and I have no desire to try it.

Grilled or char-grilled fish, on the other hand, is an outstanding way to cook fish and shrimp, and ideal for do-it-yourselfers like me. I never wouldn't order grilled fish or shrimp in a restaurant since it's so easy to do at home or wherever you're staying. Shrimp basted in lemon butter or olive oil and garlic and maybe sprinkled with a spice of your choosing is terrific cooked over charcoal on a skewer or grill, and really easy to do. It's one of those things (like steak) that I never buy at a restaurant because I can make it just as good at home for a lot less money. I go to restaurants for stuff like pork adobada because that's a lot of work to make and mine is unlikely to measure up to what a real cook can produce. But anyone can grill fish, shrimp or oysters that are as tasty as any the professionals can turn out.
The fish, at Humbertos and Guamuchil's is smoked in Guaymus and shipped here in deboned chunks, (the fish usually starts with an M) then gets chopped or shredded here, I'm not sure about The Blue Marlin.

rplarry

Went fishing on the rocks this morning with my construction guy on Pelican Pt. Wind was blowing with waves pushing the fish closer to shore.
Caught 4 Corvina, 3 Pompanos and 5 Mackerals in 40 minutes between the two of us. The diving birds showed us
where to cast.
Were you guys using bait, metal, both?

Thank you.

Metal lures, spinners and jigs. They were going after what ever we put into the water. The diving birds were having a field day. So did we. LOL

jerry

Oh brother...you patriots git whipped in an election and the whole world is going to pot....buck up boys...4 more years till Hillary Black sea bass incident lands two men in court - latimes.com

That doesn't sound political to me at all....

It sounds like reality.

My personal (totally and wholly unsubstantiated, I'll grant you) opinion is that this planet can produce more than enough fish and wildlife to keep everyone alive, and healthy.

However, it can not produce enough to sustain industries where the root objective is the generation of profit, rather than the preservation of human sustenance.

It is the fisherman's DUTY to make sure every fish they catch is either released alive, or consumed. This is part of a creed that most ethical sportsman (both fisherman and hunters alike) live by.

Take Ric's large Black Seabass that is the subject of this thread - I know for a FACT that no part of that fish is being wasted.

Just as trophy hunting has been shamed to the outer fringes of the hunting world, so too must the pursuit of converting "fish into profit"

Now, none of this is intended as a criticism of the poor mexican fishermen at the bottom of the commercial food chain - it is more directed at the profiteers and price markup artists; and not just in Mexico.

I rail against the same people who pay 18 dollars a pound to the Massachussetts tuna fisherman, then spend 1000 bucks to fly the fish to Japan, where they get (on average) 100 dollars a pound for it.

I love both.

Char-grilled gives a nice healthy and unique flavor and is easy to do. The slow smoked process is something amazingly different all together. Combining both in a seafood town like Puerto Penasco is a natural. Slow-smoked oysters are purely insane and the best part is the next day's smoked fish chowder. Nothing goes to waste and we are talking fresh stuff every day.

The summers could be a bit of a challenge, but there has to be something out there worth smoking.

jerry

Steven I am with you.At the beach at San Blas the smoked fish with rice and beans was tough to beat.
I love both.

Char-grilled gives a nice healthy and unique flavor and is easy to do. The slow smoked process is something amazingly different all together. Combining both in a seafood town like Puerto Penasco is a natural. Slow-smoked oysters are purely insane and the best part is the next day's smoked fish chowder. Nothing goes to waste and we are talking fresh stuff every day.

The summers could be a bit of a challenge, but there has to be something out there worth smoking.

jerry

That is sad.I love that town.The Flamingo and Bucaneero hotels in town are still around and look great.The Jungle Boat ride,surfing for half asset surfers are great fun but the rip tides and biting flies are bad...plus the road down is a trip!
Jerry, fabi was born and raised near San Blas, Nayarit and had 2 cousins die there swimming this summer.

mis2810

That is sad.I love that town.The Flamingo and Bucaneero hotels in town are still around and look great.The Jungle Boat ride,surfing for half asset surfers are great fun but the rip tides and biting flies are bad...plus the road down is a trip![/QUO

I wanted to drive down there a couple of years ago and my husband said No Way. What is it? The checkpoints? Dangerous roads?

I rail against the same people who pay 18 dollars a pound to the Massachusetts tuna fisherman, then spend 1000 bucks to fly the fish to Japan, where they get (on average) 100 dollars a pound for it.

Really? With that thought in mind, when the secret of Rocky Point is leaked again and the poor sap that bought a Sandy Beach Condo for $65,000 can sell it for $600,000, he should give all the profit to charity?

The key to profit is not only getting the product to market...but identifying the best market to get it to.