Cost of Property Deed Transfer Increases, By Gretchen Ellinger

Terry C

In late June Milton Ernesto Felix Reyes, owner/broker of Desert Sky Real Estate & Investments, and President-Elect and Treasurer of Asociación Mexicana de Profesionales Inmobiliarios, A.C. (AMPI), the Mexican professional real estate organization, met with Puerto Peñasco city officials to discuss pending changes that will affect every single property transfer taking place after January 1, 2012.
Closing costs associated with the transfer of the property from owner to owner consist of a number of components which must be paid at the time of the property transfer, one of which is the transfer tax. Historically, the transfer tax has been 2% of the transferred tax value as assessed by the city, or the sale price, whichever is higher, and that 2% goes to the city of Puerto Peñasco. The state of Sonora has now jumped into the act, and beginning in January, will levy a 1% transfer tax of its own, effectively increasing the transfer tax by a whopping 50%! Practically speaking, if a home is sold for $300,000, among the many other costs above and beyond the purchase price, a $9,000 transfer tax, up from $6,000 will be incurred. Ouch!
As if the aforementioned were not painful enough, city property tax values have increased, and, unless successfully protested, the new higher values will become effective on January 1, 2012, thereby increasing the amount upon which the city and state transfer taxes will be applied. A chart which shows values for each colonia, or area of the city, tells the city assessor how much per square meter to charge for lots in each community. A new chart with higher values has been created, and will be presented for public review and comment on 1 September. Individuals and community groups, including homeowner associations, will have until October 10 to comment on the increased values before they are formally adopted, and become effective on in January 2012. The proposed increase in city property tax values would not immediately affect annual property taxes, since a unique formula will be used to calculate assessments without increases.
Comments on the proposed increases in city property tax values can be made by email to http://puertopenasco.sonora.gob.mx/. Register on the first page of the website, then click on “voz ciudadana” to leave your comments. Be sure to include your name and telephone number in your comments. You can also meet with city officials in person at the mayor’s weekly community meeting, held every Wednesday at City Hall from 9 a.m. until noon.

AZ ROB

I guess I fail to see the problem with this if you are buying a $300,000 second home what is wrong with a 1% tax going to the state of Sonora?
Try to do the same thing in the U.S. and see what kind of taxes you will be paying.

Roberto

I guess I fail to see the problem with this if you are buying a $300,000 second home what is wrong with a 1% tax going to the state of Sonora?
Try to do the same thing in the U.S. and see what kind of taxes you will be paying.
Yes, so true. Really same with property taxes. Some I have seen are so low it must cost the Govt. more to collect than what they get. To me the Da*#ed Bank Trust is a bigger issue. Really no reason for it, except as one banker told me recently " It will not change, we make too much money from it."

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I remember reading somewhere that the mexican government was looking into getting away completely with the trust bank and allow anybody, no matter what nationalty, to have legal title of the property, has anybody heard anything about it? I know it has nothing to do with the tax in question but somehow related or just another thread kidnapped!!!!!

The problem I have with it is that this tax was never disclosed when I was purchasing the land. I am now five years in and still have no trust. SBR always has another hurdle to get over before I can get my trust. If I can still afford it.

Rick
Cholla Bay

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Thanks Jim, has good info on it, however like he says " in Mexico almost everything takes longer than one was told to expect." ;)

It took 2 1/2 years but that was becasue my notorio was in Carborca. Who is the lawyer handling it?
My notorio is in Penasco. The problem has mostly been the rectification of lots in Cholla bay which had to be completed by SBR approved by the bank and the city of Penasco. There just seems to be no push to complete it. My notorio's hands are pretty much tied.

Rick
Cholla Bay

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
My notorio is in Penasco. The problem has mostly been the rectification of lots in Cholla bay which had to be completed by SBR approved by the bank and the city of Penasco. There just seems to be no push to complete it. My notorio's hands are pretty much tied.

Rick
Cholla Bay
Rick, have you ever checked with anybody besides SBR? You might try going to see Juanita at the Desarrollo Urbano office in PP, anything to with land splits, subdivisions, new surveys, new legal descriptions, lot verifications, will start with her and her boss. You never know, that part could already be approved and there may be other reasons for the stall, or maybe it didn't get approved because something wasn't right. P.S. You mentioned the bank had to approve it, once its approved by Desarrollo Urbano, the only thing the bank should need to approve would be you, as the buyer. We have been doing some land splits and if the paperwork has been in order, it has been about a 30 day process. We had a couple that were kicked back to us, because of legal descriptions and legal access, we fixed them and about 30 days later had the new legal descriptions ok'ed. Its not a very long process if everything is in order.

Last edited:
Rick, have you ever checked with anybody besides SBR? You might try going to see Juanita at the Desarrollo Urbano office in PP, anything to with land splits, subdivisions, new surveys, new legal descriptions, lot verifications, will start with her and her boss. You never know, that part could already be approved and there may be other reasons for the stall, or maybe it didn't get approved because something wasn't right. P.S. You mentioned the bank had to approve it, once its approved by Desarrollo Urbano, the only thing the bank should need to approve would be you, as the buyer. We have been doing some land splits and if the paperwork has been in order, it has been about a 30 day process. We had a couple that were kicked back to us, because of legal descriptions and legal access, we fixed them and about 30 days later had the new legal descriptions ok'ed. Its not a very long process if everything is in order.
lagrimas85,

I have working with Notorio 29 Lic Jesus Armando Ramiea Islas in Penasco. He seams to be on top of it. He is telling me that there are new requirements from the law that require a amendment from the seller. What I bought was new undeveloped land from SBR. The lot was sub divided and they are claiming that is what is taking the time approval for the state of Sonora, the Bank for the master trust and the city of Penasco. Whats funny is that they have it corrected so they can collect my taxes.

Rick
Cholla Bay

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
He is a really good notary, and is nuetral. I almost bet if you had taken the paperwork from SRB to him before you paid them he would have recommended you wait to pay them, he did that for me once. You are right about his hands being tied, he can only work if he has the proper paperwork and legally cant assist you.

Roberto

:hairout::hairout::hairout::hairout:pinto Point sez "Whats funny is that they have it corrected so they can collect my taxes."