Crossing mid day on Friday before Memorial Day

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I have not crossed on Friday before Memorial Day in forever. How do you think traffic will be around noon at the border? I cannot come Thursday so I just wanted to be prepared if I was going to have a long wait......

mis2810

Well Known Member
I asked the other day why they are asking for ID leaving the country. They said they've been catching a lot of sexual predators lately. The ID scanning takes a lot of time when there is a line of people waiting to cross.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
2 years ago at 3pm Fri. of Memorial weekend there was over a mile back-up on the US side.
Not fun for those crossing, luckily I was heading back to the US.
But I have crossed when it took 1.5 hrs to get into Mexico, prior to the ID check at 6pm Fri. of Memorial weekend.

Terry C

Well Known Member
The last four ( except one time) times we came through there has been no one on the US side checking you going in. I guess a major holiday could change that. Once a person was honking their horn waiting for someone to ask do you have over $10k or guns.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
I asked the other day why they are asking for ID leaving the country. They said they've been catching a lot of sexual predators lately. The ID scanning takes a lot of time when there is a line of people waiting to cross.
FOR REAL????
So all the guys that Chris Hansen caught, now they are going to Mexico?

mis2810

Well Known Member
FOR REAL????
So all the guys that Chris Hansen caught, now they are going to Mexico?
That's the answer they gave me - who knows if it's true, although I don't have any reason to doubt them. If that is the case, then fine - I have no problem giving my ID to them if they are catching sexual predators trying to leave the country to they don't hurt any more children in the US - OR - Mexico.

Asking about carrying more than $10,000 and guns IS a waste of time, IMHO.

mondone

Whitecaps
The last four ( except one time) times we came through there has been no one on the US side checking you going in. I guess a major holiday could change that. Once a person was honking their horn waiting for someone to ask do you have over $10k or guns.
No one was there last Friday at about 2:45PM when we came in. No traffic in the lane either. On Friday of Easter weekend, my son hit a 3 mile backup at around 1PM.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
No one was there last Friday at about 2:45PM when we came in. No traffic in the lane either. On Friday of Easter weekend, my son hit a 3 mile backup at around 1PM.
was that going in or coming home?
The worst back up have ever been in was coming back. It started at the circle K just over the bridge in Sonoyta.
3 hrs at least. And to top it off, it had rained really hard in Az that weekend and the road we take that comes in the back side of Gila Bend was flooded. So we had to turn round and back to I8.

mis2810

Well Known Member
was that going in or coming home?
The worst back up have ever been in was coming back. It started at the circle K just over the bridge in Sonoyta.
3 hrs at least. And to top it off, it had rained really hard in Az that weekend and the road we take that comes in the back side of Gila Bend was flooded. So we had to turn round and back to I8.
He's talking about going into Mexico. It's been getting REALLY backed up lately. It's only one lane. I'm sure people have been backed up all the way to Tillotson Visitors Center before.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
He's talking about going into Mexico. It's been getting REALLY backed up lately. It's only one lane. I'm sure people have been backed up all the way to Tillotson Visitors Center before.
Ugh... :eek:
We will be driving down morning of June 5th. Hope to be at the boarder no later than 10am.
Are you going that weekend Melissa?

mis2810

Well Known Member
Ugh... :eek:
We will be driving down morning of June 5th. Hope to be at the boarder no later than 10am.
Are you going that weekend Melissa?
I've got renters from this weekend until the 19th of June, so no, I won't be there. Good for $, bad for me spending time there.