Cruise on the Wild Side

Rhino

Well Known Member
Hey Guys (Gals too), We are coming down this weekend with some friends who tend to gravitate to the wild & crazy side. Which of the Sunset Cruises would you recommend we choose. I would also be very open to other activities we might try while down. Thanks in advance and may all have a great 4th of July!

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Head for the Pirate ship it is a full on show and very interactive Just did it with a group and we all had fun!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
I second Russ' recommendation- Go for the Pirate Cruise- great entertainment for all! I've done the Sunset cruise and the Pirate cruise, and definitely everyone agreed the Pirate is the best (High School and College age kids agreed). ARRGH!

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
The Pirate cruise goes from next to Balboas Restaurant (now closed)....towards the end of Calle 13 (the marina by the Navy base)

SunnyBunny

Second LadyJeeper on the price question. Should we drive there (Balboa's to catch the Pirate Cruise) or should we get a cab/s? What time shoud we be there by? Staying at Hotel Baja (don't ask why?!). Speaking of - does anyone know what condition this hotel is? The reviews I read on it are very mixed o_O... and not sure. Guess a little late now, as it is already paid for... but just want to be prepared (mentaly)>>.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
On the hotel...the last time I stayed there was oprobably 6-7 years ago...I would compare the rooms (at least the one I had) to Super 8/Motel 6. They do have a pool area...again, not like the condo/resorts. They do pack in the spring breakers!

Don't know if Balboa's restaurant is closed permanently, but Seadweller (one of the regulars on here) had posted that one of the waitresses from there was looking for work....so that doesn't sound good.

The last time I took a sunset cruise, they started boarding somewhere around 5-5:30...and I paid at the dock....Lobos del Mar (long gone) used to put on a good show.....and unlimited margaritas (premix) were included in the price!

mis2810

Well Known Member
Second LadyJeeper on the price question. Should we drive there (Balboa's to catch the Pirate Cruise) or should we get a cab/s? What time shoud we be there by? Staying at Hotel Baja (don't ask why?!). Speaking of - does anyone know what condition this hotel is? The reviews I read on it are very mixed o_O... and not sure. Guess a little late now, as it is already paid for... but just want to be prepared (mentaly)>>.
Ugh. Not to make you feel any worse, because I read your other post, but for a few dollars more you could have had a beautiful condo on Sandy Beach with a a full-sized kitchen. The kitchen alone would have saved you the extra dollars in having to eat out for every meal. What's their cancellation policy?

Nevermind, I just saw that you're going down this weekend. Too late to make other plans I suppose. Next time you go PM me for condo rental referrals. I don't get anything out of so I'm not advertising, but I've had a lot of good luck with one particular owner.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Balboas is closed permanently.

A sunset cruise with all you can drink margaritas in San Carlos 25 years ago is the reason why I won't touch Tekillya any more. Ug, the memory...well sort of, some of it anyway, LOL!

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac

A sunset cruise with all you can drink margaritas in San Carlos 25 years ago is the reason why I won't touch Tekillya any more. Ug, the memory...well sort of, some of it anyway, LOL!
The long slow collapse of Puerto Penasco as we knew it. It will come back but never will be the same.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member

Now Chari...don't go blaming your dislike for Tequila on a Sunset cruise.....no one forced you to get your money's worth!!:rofl::moon:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
You mean cause Balboas is closed?
Amongst the others that are gone already and will be gone shortly, if things dont turn around. LJ if I understood correctly not too long ago the city didn't have the money to make the police department payroll. There are a lot of businesses teetering.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Now that's scary, Bill! Yeah, Portofinos is gone.....

Joe, I didn't say I didn't like it. It's just the smell makes me gag!

Roberto

Well Known Member
I think Penasco has been moving toward a Mexican market for several years. Compare favored activities of the US and the Mexican folk and you can probably pretty much predict who might survive. Dying: sit down restaurants, sit down bars, Low capacity luxury rental accomodations, most real estate !! Stable/moving up: ATV rentals, Harbor cruises, Beer and Ice sales, Economical rental accomodations, Taco Stands, Straw cowboy hat sales, gasoline for crusing.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Someone said so and they said the food was good, too. I think it's more pizza than high end. I might try it sometime but my next new restaurant to try will be Pane y Vino.