Cutoff Time - The Bewitching Hour

mis2810

Well Known Member
So if the rule is no driving down at night, what is your cut-off time? If we were to leave Phoenix around 3:15 in the afternoon, and it normally takes me approx. 3-1/2 hours or less to hit the turnoff to Sandy Beach, and sunset is at 6:20 p.m., that should be okay, right? We won't be in the middle of the desert after dark.

I don't want to sound paranoid, but I really hate driving the highway at night.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
I wouldn't worry too much if are just on the outskirts of town (Foam Party sign)....you should be just fine.
Is this for the upcoming weekend?

upload_2014-2-10_11-51-58.png

Terry C

Well Known Member
I know there has been a sign on the road for years saying a foam party. not sure it that is the same one

mis2810

Well Known Member
I know there has been a sign on the road for years saying a foam party. not sure it that is the same one
That sign is really old. The place called "Bumaye" is now the Carribean Parrot or something like that. Last time I went to Bumaye was in 2003!

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
If you leave at 3:15, you'll be in the dark in Mexico......It's dark at 6:15.......I'm going Thursday morning......Get shopping out of the way and at my place by dark! Rum and Coke for everyone!

mis2810

Well Known Member
It gets darker later in RP than it does in Phoenix. The sunset time in Phoenix for Thursday is 6:11 - in RP it's 6:20 - sunset is basically even lighter than dusk. I' not worried as long as I'm on the outskirts of town. I don't want to just be leaving Sonoyta during the dark - that's all.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I think that statistically twilight is the most dangerous time to drive, many accidents and the AHoles are starting to use their blinding high beams.

Bob Oso

Well Known Member
Dang mis2810, you either live on the way west side of Phoenix, or drive like a Mad Max. I've never made it to the turn off in 3 1/2 hours and I'm pretty heavy on the gas. But it's interesting you bring this up. I always prefered to drive at night, to me it seems to make the drive quicker. When the car jacking phase was in full swing we went to days only, but last Labor ( 2013 ) Day we went back to nights. Haven't had any issues, and like waking up in RP instead of burning 1/2 a day getting there.

mis2810

Well Known Member
Dang mis2810, you either live on the way west side of Phoenix, or drive like a Mad Max. I've never made it to the turn off in 3 1/2 hours and I'm pretty heavy on the gas. But it's interesting you bring this up. I always prefered to drive at night, to me it seems to make the drive quicker. When the car jacking phase was in full swing we went to days only, but last Labor ( 2013 ) Day we went back to nights. Haven't had any issues, and like waking up in RP instead of burning 1/2 a day getting there.
We live in Laveen - 45th & Baseline. Early (before 2:30) on a weekday or on the weekends, I'll take I-10 to 85, otherwise during rush hour we take Lower Buckeye until it turns into Buckeye at the Buckeye Airport and then take that all the way out to 85 - right at the Shell station. I have a total lead foot on the gas in the areas where I know I can. I NEVER speed going into or out of Gila Bend, Ajo, Why, or Sonoyta - EVER. Otherwise, it's fair game . . . I will admit to driving between 70 and 80 most of the way except for those parts. I hate being a passenger in a car, especially on a road trip because I feel like I'm not ever going to get where I'm going. I guess that makes me a control freak! The only thing I haven't done to cut down the drive time yet is start wearing diapers like that crazy astronaut lady did a few years ago to avoid stopping to go to the bathroom! :p:p:p:p:p

Roberto

Well Known Member
. I NEVER speed going into or out of Gila Bend, Ajo, Why, or Sonoyta - EVER. Otherwise, it's fair game . . . I will admit to driving between 70 and 80 most of the way except for those parts. I hate being a passenger in a car, especially on a road trip because I feel like I'm not ever going to get where I'm going. I guess that makes me a control freak! :p:p:p:p:p
You forgot to mention your off road driving skills !!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
but last Labor ( 2013 ) Day we went back to nights. Haven't had any issues, and like waking up in RP instead of burning 1/2 a day getting there.
I work 4- 10 hour days and get off Thursday at 7:00 so we have to drive at night, and you're right, it's better than ruining a day.