DON Bait well

Hey Don
Let us see some pics of your new bait well. What parts, where did you get them etc.?

As I have to keep the Sea Ray for a while I need to build one.

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

don

Hi Bill,

Sorry been off the forum for several days. Getting another boat (Sea Ray) ready for an extended Powell trip.

The Wellcraft with the Baitwell is in storage here in Flag. Do you think you'll be starting your baitwell this weekend? The reason I'm asking is were heading North on Wed., and still wrapping up a few things on the "Ray".

If you will be starting this weekend, I do my darndest to get the storage and take pics.

To start off, though, I purchased (West Marine has these) a Bronze Intake Strainer, Threaded 3/4" 1841329 65-BN8-10 Only $33.99 USD. I added on top of that a purchased (from Hardware store) a Brass/stainless steel ball valve. This allows a quick water shut off. I then add a 1000 GPH Johnson pump to the top of this valve. BTW, I had to shorten the plastic pump inlet line to keep it below the water level. You notice I said Johnson pump, they are the makers of mayfair pumps, and they've given me SUPERB service (gave me "2" new johnson baitwell pumps n/c, because my wife had mistakenly purchased for me "2" bilge pumps instead and lost the receipt).

Note: The livewell pumps being plastic will NOT thread into the ball valve more that 1.5 turns. However, by heating (in hot water) the threaded plastic inlet line (the inlet tubes seem to be somewhat oval instead of perfectly round), and applying a thin coat of Vaseline, I was able to thread the pump onto the ball valve 5+ turns by hand!

I went with mayfair pumps initially because of the ease of changing pumps. And it proved to be usefull, I also added another bilge pump (saftey) to the boat( it had 2). When we were fishing with Kenny and Chuck, I wanted to check pump operation, so it was a simple matter to shut the water off (ball valve), pop out the pump body (takes 15 seconds) and replace it with the extra bilge pump body. Basically swap pump bodies like you would change a tire, but takes about 30 seconds total.

I also purchased from the hardware store a brass/stainless 3 way valve so I could direct water to either the bait tank or a brass (through wall) hose outlet (Hardware Store). This outlet is now my raw water washdown. Note: ya gotta drill out the anti siphon valve in this outlet since the pumps won't develop enough pressure to overcome the anti siphon valve.

BTW, I also purchased from the local marine dealer underwaterline silicone sealant for the waterpickups and through hull fittings. For all my hose fittings I alternated between clear plastic silicone (Hardware Store) and black (white was not available) bilge hose (Hardware or Marine dealer). The reason for the clear, and its proved extremely useful, was to see the water was indeed moving through the hose. The bilge hose was used in areas where I had sharp bends and the clear silicone hose would pinch.

Hope this gets you started, I try and get pics prior to Powell, and give you more info.

More info on fittings, and routing.
Don

don

Also, I went with 1000 gph pumps 'cuz everything I've read highly encouraged one to go with the largest possible! Only costs a few $ more, and well worth it when you still have 20 + candies alive :fish: at the end of a full day... But then again if you still HAVE 20 + Candies alive, I guess that doesn't say much for the abilities of the captn' to find fish, huh? :lol:

Hey Don
Thanks for what you gave me and there is no hurry on the pics. I will be going to Show Low for a week or so in the am.
What kind and size of Sea Ray did you get ?

I have to show your E-Mail to Edna as she makes fun of me by telling folks I have a boat for every lake.
I have a 17 ft wide and deep Jon with a 15 /4 Yamaha.
And an Tracker Targa deep V 17 ft with a 60 /4 Yamaha. This is for sale but I have not advertised it yet.
The 19 ft Sea Ray with i/o drive I am working on.
And an 11 ft hard floor inflatable with an electric motor.
And now I want the 23 to 25 ft ocean boat. At least when I get it the Sea Ray will go for sale.

Ya know, some folks just don't know when to quit !
Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

don

The Sea Ray (I've had for about 8 years) is a 25 footer, Sun Dancer. It has a head, shower, sink, stove and an aft cabin. Its a great boat for Powell, but not really designed for the ocean. I'll carry a 10 foot AVON inflatable and 8 HP Yamaha in the bilge area of the Ray for fishing when we hit Powell.

Tell Edna (I tell Val), "That she can't expect me to take a motor home for a grocery run, hence thats' why we NEED different boats....". So far that logic has worked, but I think Val is catching on! ;)

I also use a 14 foot Nissan Inflatable in Mexico, and I'll either hang the 8 or 40 hp off the stern of that rig. Kind of funny, but when the ocean is too rough for the Wellcraft, I'll take out the inflatable.

I initially bought a 23' Starcraft for Mexico, but then came along the Wellcraft. So, I'm trying to talk Val into letting me keep the Starcraft for Fishing at Powell, or making a cheap fishing run to Mexico.

I also have 16' mirrocraft which I'm converting to a Center Console style. This is for fishing Roosevelt, Bartlett, Etc..

Then we have a paddle boat for funnin', and a canoe.

All fun stuff! Just take them along! :D

Re: DON

Don
I just showed your answer and shey told me to answer you and TELL YOU she said we are both sick!
Now she wants new CARS so she can go shopping in different towns.

Bill

don

Unfortunately Edna's correct. But then again, thats a good thing! :D

I'm going to start another organization (DMW is my first one), this new organization will be called CGA (Crittr' Gittr' Anonymous). I've settled on CGA instead of FKA [Fish Killr's Anonymous (after R--'s theme of "I'll kill fish until they kill me") to include all (Men and Women) who enjoy hunting.] This way we, as a collective could offer support to one another when a spouse or significant other finds another boat in the yard, or when they have to sign a FED EX delivery receipt for a new pair of binoculars, rifle, bow... We could also offer a temporary parking garage or gun locker for these needed items until the waters calm...

Watcha' think?

Oh yeah, I tell Val these acquisitions were bought with $ from my second job, (state employee you know), so they don't have affect on our income. So, if Edna wants to get a second job so she can buy new cars, "Heck yeah", Encourage her"! We wouldn't want to inhibit them!

Now as I add "Needed" stuff to the boats, I tell Val these are either for safety, or to make "Her" trip more enjoyable on the water. She'll appreciate the downriggers installed on the wellcraft. This way she won't have to hold a down rigger rod with the zwing or 10 lb. cannonball with one hand and hold her fishing rod with the other. And when she gets hit, she'll be able to fight the fish by herself instead of giving me the fishing rod while she holds onto the downrigger rod ;) .

Please tell Edna, as I tell Val, that she is always welcome to head out with me whenever I go... And to tell you the truth, as our children get older Val has said she would like to spend more time doing the things I love so we can be together more. And she has started helping on the boats, or the "Fleet" :lol: as she calls 'em!

We've got to get together some time on the water! :boat:
don