Don

Don
I was just reviewing some stuff and read your note that the bulkhead fittings are limited in size. In Casa Grande we have a company that specializes in agricultural tanks and spraying equipment. They have tank fittings that are larger and UV safe, but they do get pricey. The fittings are black and I know exceed sch 80. They come with the gasket. I bought 2ea 3/4 and 2 ea 1 1/2 with all the misc fittings but not the tubing for $ 68.00.

What do you think about using 2 of the brass oval fittings on the bottom of the boat for pick up and drain ? Or do I need to transom drain. I can use the same as above for the thru hull fitting.

Don't Worry Be Happy
Bill

Sixty

https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3953&Category_Code=
https://www.surplusunlimited.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1960&Category_Code=

These are what are normally used for bait tank thru-hulls. This company also have real good prices on marine hardware as well as pumps. I ordered alot of stuff from them.

I've never installed a bait tak thru hull so I'm not sure what all should be used. I would definatley use only bronze or S.S., but no plastic. Also place a ball valbe right at the thru hull so it can be cloased if the boat will spend any extended time in the water or you bait system springs a leak below the waterline while on the water.

don

Hi Bill!
OUCH, that is Pricey!

I want to say the two bulkhead fittings I bought were about 10 bucks apiece. Then of course I had to create my own for the 1 1/2 line out of sch 80. That creation was about 7 bucks for the parts.

I think I'm understanding you are considering on using two of the brass oval fittings, one for inlet one for outlet? If thats correct, I would use only one, simply because the fittings were pricey, about 30 bucks apiece, and also since its on the bottom of the hull you'll need to install a ball valve (safety reason) so you don't have a gieser if you suffer a broken/damaged outlet hose.

When I was out with Kenny and Chuck, I swapped pump bodies on two of the pumps that were in the bilge area (red with the yellow) and I purposefully left the ball valve open to see how fast the water would enter the hold.

The water bubbled up like a large drinking fountain and would have created a problem if I was not able to stop the inflow. So, I decided then the ball valve was needed.

The thru hull fittings which I purchased were only about 4 bucks apiece. The are plastic not brass, but since I don't have the high heat as you have in Phx., my plastic fittings have lasted over 20 years, BUT, they are above the waterline. When I get more $ I'll eventually convert all my thru hull fittings to brass. All my below waterline fittings are brass.

For my drain, I tied into an existing above waterline 1 1/2 inch thru hull fitting.

Wait a minute, your tank is going to be just on top of your hull, not on a raised floor correct???

Shoot, then I'd just install a brass livewell drain fitting, low on your stern.

Does this help or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Don