El Tapeo Wine Tasting Dinner

CJ*

$20 buys you a wonderful 2 1/2 hour wine tasting with paired Tapas dishes. We had a great time last night trying 4 different wines and finished with a port. Wine pours were a generous 1/2 glass so by the time the Port came around, we were quite satisfied. I am very happy to find this place (next to Laos Mar Hotel, by Playa Bonita). Finally a nice place to get a good glass of wine and interesting small plates. Most wines, olive oils and cheeses come from the Baja Valle de Guadalupe. Nice music, good for grown ups! Open Wed-Sun at 5:30 pm.

I have not been to their place but we are planning to sometime in the next week or two. Having said that, I will tell you I was by their booth at the Saturday "Iron Chef" thing at Plaza del Camaron and they had just finished one of the nicest looking paellas I've seen outside of Spain (other than my own which dare I say are excellent). As a chef paella is my "signature dish" (I am teaching a paella class in Oaxaca next March) so I know a good one when I see one (and smell and etc.) A good paella is not easy to make. We are probably going on Thursday when they are featuring it on their menu. The only thing I might find fault with is their use of regular long-grain rice instead of Arborio rice but that is completely understandable as Arborio is not an easy type of rice to find and certainly expensive when you do get it.

CJ*

I have not been to their place but we are planning to sometime in the next week or two. Having said that, I will tell you I was by their booth at the Saturday "Iron Chef" thing at Plaza del Camaron and they had just finished one of the nicest looking paellas I've seen outside of Spain (other than my own which dare I say are excellent). As a chef paella is my "signature dish" (I am teaching a paella class in Oaxaca next March) so I know a good one when I see one (and smell and etc.) A good paella is not easy to make. We are probably going on Thursday when they are featuring it on their menu. The only thing I might find fault with is their use of regular long-grain rice instead of Arborio rice but that is completely understandable as Arborio is not an easy type of rice to find and certainly expensive when you do get it.
So due to your awesome review of the Paella - we went last Thursday to try it. Was severely bummed with that evening's version. Fisrt off, it was served cold (we were the first customers at 7:30pm). It had one small clam, one small shrimp, 2 slices of sausage and some fish in it. For the $8 or $9 that it cost, one might have expected a few more items of seafood. Maybe we hit a bad night... I sure hope they do better because I love Paella and unfortunately, our experience did not match yours Ticnate!

So sad to hear that. The one they had at the "Iron Chef" was nothing like that. It was replete with clams, mussels, and shrimp and piping hot. I understand putting on a special effort for attracting customers but serving shoddy food is inexcusable. I usually do not use fish in paella because I like fish just cooked and in a paella it is inevitably going to be over-cooked and mushy.

CJ*

Another Excellent Wine Tasting Dinner at El Tapeo on March 28th!!!! This time, $25 for 2 whites, a rose and 4 reds! Had a great time and sampled really good reds from Alixmia Vineyards in Valle de Guadalupe. We had nice tapas to match each wine and ingested plenty of alcohol for the price of admission. Loved the Pira Red the best.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
.......... I usually do not use fish in paella because I like fish just cooked and in a paella it is inevitably going to be over-cooked and mushy.
tlcnate one thing I learn in Malaga, Spain was to throw in the fish on the last few minutes so it does not over cook and of course the broth is fish for the seafood paella, however, as you know, paella's variations are as big as there are counties in Spain, I say counties instead of states as paella is one of the typical most common dishes in Spain!!!

tlcnate one thing I learn in Malaga, Spain was to throw in the fish on the last few minutes so it does not over cook and of course the broth is fish for the seafood paella, however, as you know, paella's variations are as big as there are counties in Spain, I say counties instead of states as paella is one of the typical most common dishes in Spain!!!
I pretty much do the same but still skip the fish. I use shrimp, mussels, and clams and add them when there is just enough liquid left to cook them properly. Since paella is fairly labor intensive I make one large enough to have leftovers. That means any fish will get re-heated and overcooked for subsequent use. Not so much with the shellfish.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
It just surprises me that as a paella connoisseur you are willing to keep it for future use, unless it is for later that day or the latest the following day, if that is the case, as you know even the fish will be perfectly fine, unless you do not like fish on your paella at all, however if you are going to freeze it and thaw it a few days later then I understand, might as well get rid of the rice too as it will be just disgusting once it thaws, no matter which type you use arborio, long grain or even brown husky rice!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I pretty much do the same but still skip the fish. I use shrimp, mussels, and clams and add them when there is just enough liquid left to cook them properly. Since paella is fairly labor intensive I make one large enough to have leftovers. That means any fish will get re-heated and overcooked for subsequent use. Not so much with the shellfish.
It just surprises me that as a paella connoisseur you are willing to keep it for future use, unless it is for later that day or the latest the following day, if that is the case, as you know even the fish will be perfectly fine, unless you do not like fish on your paella at all, however if you are going to freeze it and thaw it a few days later then I understand, might as well get rid of the rice too as it will be just disgusting once it thaws, no matter which type you use arborio, long grain or even brown husky rice!