EXTINCT TEPOCA INJUN SWEAT BATH

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Anyone interested in a little 4x4 beach run this coming weekend? Maybe loose a few pounds of lard in the event?

We will be down on Jul 28 thru Aug 1. Plan on recreating a typical summer day on the beach as it was 200 years ago. Desemboque then north again to take advantage of the new moon huge tides. Maybe pitch some lures and dig out some of those delicious Piddock Rock Boring Clams. Maybe a fresh Hawks Bill Turtle with a still fresh bloody front flipper for the barbie at home that night in Mirador. You might need a good a/c in yer Jeep as the temps will be in the low 100's and the humidity will be in the upper 90%. A typical July day on the beach there means forcing at least a gallon of water down yer craw per hour.

Lemmie know if interested.

JJ

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Anyone interested in a little 4x4 beach run this coming weekend? Maybe loose a few pounds of lard in the event?

We will be down on Jul 28 thru Aug 1. Plan on recreating a typical summer day on the beach as it was 200 years ago. Desemboque then north again to take advantage of the new moon huge tides. Maybe pitch some lures and dig out some of those delicious Piddock Rock Boring Clams. Maybe a fresh Hawks Bill Turtle with a still fresh bloody front flipper for the barbie at home that night in Mirador. You might need a good a/c in yer Jeep as the temps will be in the low 100's and the humidity will be in the upper 90%. A typical July day on the beach there means forcing at least a gallon of water down yer craw per hour.

Lemmie know if interested.

JJ
I can't make it, but would love a report!

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
The most dangerous summer heat related condition in the Sea of Cortez summer is Heat Exhaustion.

Not necessarily caused by the high outside air temperature which is rarely over 100 degrees on the water and beach but the excessive humidity that prevents your sweat from cooling your skin. Think the mechanics of a swamp cooler that makes no cool air once the humidity kicks in.

The only way to monitor this and try to keep it under control is to urinate and do it often. Many times more sweat is pouring out of your body than you can replace even while forcing yourself to drink when you don't even feel thirsty. I can't tell you how many times I've seen desert "newbies" succumb to this.

Taking a "cooling dip" in the 90 degree sea water won't help. We would never consider these late summer desert and beach trips without a fully functioning air conditioner in the vehicle and a big cooler of ice and drinking water and a few extra gallon water bottles to drench ourselves with regularly.

Drinking alcohol and sugary soda pop will only exasperate the condition as it takes even more water to flush out the alcohol and sugar from your system.

Swimming in warm seawater or a hot swimming pool will dehydrate you as well. I've always considered myself a Gleep not a Geezer Jerry.

JJ

Old55

Well Known Member
The most dangerous summer heat related condition in the Sea of Cortez summer is Heat Exhaustion.

Not necessarily caused by the high outside air temperature which is rarely over 100 degrees on the water and beach but the excessive humidity that prevents your sweat from cooling your skin. Think the mechanics of a swamp cooler that makes no cool air once the humidity kicks in.

The only way to monitor this and try to keep it under control is to urinate and do it often. Many times more sweat is pouring out of your body than you can replace even while forcing yourself to drink when you don't even feel thirsty. I can't tell you how many times I've seen desert "newbies" succumb to this.

Taking a "cooling dip" in the 90 degree sea water won't help. We would never consider these late summer desert and beach trips without a fully functioning air conditioner in the vehicle and a big cooler of ice and drinking water and a few extra gallon water bottles to drench ourselves with regularly.

Drinking alcohol and sugary soda pop will only exasperate the condition as it takes even more water to flush out the alcohol and sugar from your system.

Swimming in warm seawater or a hot swimming pool will dehydrate you as well. I've always considered myself a Gleep not a Geezer Jerry.

JJ
Geezer myself … happy one today ….hiked up above the tree line with my Aussie Shepard and feeling goodish

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter

JJ
Please explain “Gleep” for the unknowing like me.

dirtsurfer

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter

JJ
I installed a new corrugated metal patio cover in about 85 degree weather on the beach. No big deal for a Phoenix boy, right? My much smarter friends got off of the roof way before me but I pushed on to finish. I had no alcohol and honestly tried to force drink but could not eat dinner, passed out, got up at about 1:AM and tried to get everyone to drink from a dried out Kahlua bottle and did not remember a thing. I puked for about an hour in the morning and was woozy for 3-4 days. JJ: you are 100% correct and I learned a great lesson.

Last edited: