Fall Grouper Tournament

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, we have a tentative plan. Talked with Dave this weekend and the tournament has been funded. Best dates at the moment look like Oct. 12 and 13. Monday is Columbus Day, so some are likely to have it off from work. Fairly flat tide that weekend. No promises on the wind, obviously!

More details to come...

Shawno

I plan to be in Penasco that weekend and will probably fish the grouper tournament. I've only fished for grouper once before in October and had very good luck. Does anyone else plan on fishing either tournament?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I'm planning on it.

Can we still enter the 88 pounder that Trent caught on Father's Day? I could break it out of the freezer.... :veg:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Going to happen ... here's the basics. See you there! Saturday Oct. 12.

We will all meet at Capone's Friday night, and discuss the rules, chip in money and go. No formal advertising, no cheaters!! Easy for us to do this. Tell everyone. The winners can go on to the final in Mazatlan.

So get the word out, lets make this happen!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
No, I haven't heard Rob. Someone said (not confirmed) $500 a boat. If that's the case, I'll just be fishing for the fun of it and not in the tournament, because I'll only have one other person fishing with me at this point.

Shawno

No, I haven't heard Rob. Someone said (not confirmed) $500 a boat. If that's the case, I'll just be fishing for the fun of it and not in the tournament, because I'll only have one other person fishing with me at this point.
Stu - I was thinking the same about entering my boat. We would be better off fishing together on your boat. It is a lot bigger than mine.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Shawno, you know you're welcome on my boat anytime, brother! I'll be down Friday, we can see what the scoop really is.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
UPDATE:

The game plan is to have the tournament, with no cheaters, and have the OCV get it approved so the winners can go on to Mazatlan and dodge bullets while competing for real money. There is no sponsor this year, so we are on our own. Whatever we choose to pay for an entry fee is what will be used for the prize money. If we don't want to have an entry fee, then there won't be any prize money. Easy as that. I don't know what Dan or Felipe are talking about, but I probably said to Felipe, that if we all chip in $500 a boat, and we have 20 boats, then we have $10 grand to divide up into prize money. That was probably the conversation, but not anything set in stone, just an example.
If the OCV was running it, they would offer 10k of prize money, and try and get 20 boats in at an average of $500 each. Do you see where I am coming from now? Of course, if only 5 boats enter, like last year, then the OCV is stuck footing the bill. We can''t do that. So we decide how much to enter, and that will determine how much prize money is available. The real prize is the right to be in the "invitation only" tournament in Mazatlan in December, the "governors cup".
So, lets meet Friday afternoon , evening, sign up and all vote on how much per day, 1 or 2 days, and decide on what fish we are going to fish for. Ted miller is going to help me with some basic guidlines for the "last minute tournament" he has been in hundreds of them, so he knows.
Lets not get all tense about this tournament, its basicly a "between friends" event, to try and keep the tournament in Penasco for next year, hopefully by then the OCV will have figured out their financial issues and will hold a proper event with good prize money, held at Capone's.
So get that out there, don't let people spread rumors, you heard it from the dog's mouth. Any further questions, just ask me and I'll see if I can figure it out.
Cheers,
Dave

dmcauley

Evidently Felipe misunderstood Dave. What time are we going to get started? Usually meet about 4 o'clock the day before, so maybe by 5 or 6 we can get this figured out.
I'll be out fishing Friday so thats why I ask. So as to be in on time

Kelney

To the Whale Hill storage contingent; can you check on my boat cover and make it right if it is hanging off of Murphy Girl or laying on the ground? I had you know who put it on after I had the opportunity to inspect it so I am not sure if my Spanglish got through to him to USE ALL THE SRAPS!
Gracias and may the Grouper Gods bless you with little wind and tasty baits.

Good luck, the wind is blowing like hurricane Jerry right now. It's only got worse since the sun went down on the Mirador. The ocean was green with whitecaps as far as you could see today.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I was kicking this idea around for the tournament format:

I was thinking of suggesting maybe we change up species a bit - assign a point value. 50 points for a grouper, 40 for a leopard grouper, 30 for a pinto, 30 for a yellowtail, 25 for a halibut, 25 for a snapper, 25 for a dorado, 25 for a shark -- something along those lines. That way, it still makes grouper the objective, but if there are no grouper biting? Well, you can switch gears to target something else and perhaps still win the tourney. You only need one qualifying fish per species (size doesn't matter) to earn the points. Just a thought, but I'll bring it up for discussion on Friday if you like the idea. Total high points wins 1st place (70%) and 2nd highest point takes 2nd (30%).

Joe - I'll check your boat cover for you. Heading down tomorrow a.m.