Fans of rocky point event cancels, scapegoat sought

Kelly Disney, organizer of the so-called Fans of Rocky Point has decided to cancel the upcoming Festival de Musica at the Sonoran Sun scheduled for January 29th. The cancellation should surprise no one, as this same person has cancelled three out of four previous attempts to pull an event together.

Perhaps it’s time for people who want to host events to realize that more is needed than just a Facebook presence and a smattering of followers. There’s nothing wrong with having those, of course, but an event takes WORK and COMMITMENT.

In this latest of her attempts, Ms. Disney had aligned herself with the January Jam event as well as with the Penasco Children’s Foundation. Both of those being successful, credible and noteworthy alliances, this should have helped make her event a shoe-in, yet even with the heavy artillery in her corner, she managed to flub once more.

Proving that the one thing she does know how to do with style is fail, Disney has grasped onto my coattails on her way down in a pathetic attempt to blame me for her failure. Well, Dear Reader, I haven’t lied to you before and I’m not lying to you now…I DIDN’T DO A DAMN THING TO HELP THIS PROJECT MEET ITS DEMISE.

In a Facebook explanation of her decision to cancel the event, Disney claims she was the victim of jealousy and extortion. Let me tell you that for her (or anyone) to be worthy of my jealousy they would first have to be doing something enviable. And if I ever decide to extort anyone, it will be for more than $100.

She claims that I attempted to browbeat her out of $200 to have me serve, with Russ, as emcee of the event. That is a total misrepresentation of the facts, which are as follows:

In early December Ms. Disney visited my office and asked for support for her event. Russ and I had recently emceed the Taste of Peñasco (for free) and she wanted something similar. Our participation would require us to be on scene and emcee between acts from 10am – 6pm…a total of eight hours. In addition, as this was scheduled for a Saturday, we would have to arrange doing the 12pm-2pm time slot on the radio with only one of us there and the other one calling in from the event. The price was decided and agreed upon. Knowing that Disney had said her budget didn’t allow for advertising, I began to promote the event anyway. During that meeting I also agreed to help out (again for free) with any logistical details having to do with getting the musicians across the border and making sure that the event was totally legal in its execution.

Weeks after receiving lots of free publicity and after releasing a graphic featuring my partner and me as part of the lineup, I get an email from Disney rescinding her agreement, saying she cannot pay us. She then asked me to take to the stage anyway, as a means of “promoting the radio program”.

I wrote back and told her that I was disappointed in her lack of commitment and that her approach was unprofessional. I felt that I had been used and duped into giving her lots of free publicity.

I now understood why so many who had worked with her in the past have described it as a negative experience. At that time I reminded her to have someone in her camp look after the legality of the details having to do with the event, to avoid any issues, as I was no longer assuming responsibility. She assured me that the charity and the resort have a “legal team”, so that was the end of it as far as I was concerned. I did, however, make it a point to continue to promote the event and discuss it on the air during our program.

It bothers me that this person has chosen to accuse me of sinking her event, even though I did what I could to promote it. She says she wants to help the community, yet her actions are counter-productive. She says that she knows I “want her out of Rocky Point”…this is ridiculous. I certainly never considered her a force to be concerned with, and I doubt I have the power to banish anyone, anyway.

Personally, I think the event had a good chance of succeeding. I have no idea why she cancelled it, but I’m assuming that she must’ve not had all her ducks in a row. If I were lying about my involvement, I would be running a huge risk by publishing this denial. I’m not, however…because I don’t have a clue about what brought her down. Insecurity and fear are probably part of it, though, and I’m willing to bet that chaos and sloppy planning are in there, too.

That Kelly Disney is done with her organizational endeavors is her business, but that on her way out she has taken a big, sloppy swipe at me…says more about her than it does about me.

Kelly, many people fail, but you’ve done it often enough now to be better at it than this. I suggest you get a dictionary and look up gracious losing.

Roberto...you crack me up. I spill my guts after landing (being yanked into) a big, fat controversy like this, and all you can say is "Oh My"? C'mon, man!

Kenny

You saw what she had in quotations from your (alleged) email Rosie, are you saying that all those quotes were made up?

For those who aren't "friends" on FB....here is what she wrote (Kelly Disney aka Fans of Rocky Point)

Fans of Rocky Point

It is with much regret that I have to cancel the Festival de Musica and shut down the Fans of Rocky Point and it is effectively immediately. Those who have purchased wristbands will receive a refund immediately. Sponsors will also receive a refund immediately.
I started this organization out of the kindness of my heart to promote a community in which I have loved and supported for the last 14 years. I hated to see how the economy and bad publicity was impacting the community, therefore, I wanted to do something to try and help.
This organization has been a not for profit organization, completely run by sponsorship and my own personal money. During the planning of events, there have been some bumps in the road with some of the local people – specifically some people asking for money from the organization to promote it. I have had to turn people down because the Fans of Rocky Point did not have the money to give to people to promote and I was already spending a lot of my own money putting the events together. There were also a lot of great things happening, as well. People were approaching me wanting to help and I have met a lot of wonderful people along the way.
However, there have also been some local people who were very jealous of my organization and have been making tremendous efforts to hurt the Fans of Rocky Point, the events and myself. I have tried very hard to ignore it and keep moving along. But, at this point, I cannot do it any longer.
This has been about supporting the community – not a monetary benefit to me. Recently, I received 2 very disturbing emails from a well known person in Rocky Point.
This person wanted to emcee the Festival de Musica and wanted $200 for it. When I last saw her, she attempted to bully and push me into having her emcee the Festival and wanted to charge me $200. I ended up telling her that the Fans of Rocky Point could not afford an additional $200 to pay for someone to emcee the festival. However, I offered for them to still have stage time and promote their radio show – for absolutely free! What a deal!! Free promotion for your radio show!! Well, that wasn’t good enough for her and she sent me a very mean email which included a threat towards the musicians and resort, insinuating that they may have something to “worry about”. She also stated that she would “pull out all the stops” , accused me of a “lack of commitment”, that this is “one sided”, stated that I have “disappointed quite a few local businesses” and have “alienated a small army of local promoters”. Eventually someone interfered with a very important part of our event that more than likely caused quite a bit of harm to it, financially and otherwise. I can’t say for sure who it was – but, we all think we know who it was, as the writing is on the wall. Several people have told me that she “wants me out of Rocky Point”. She is jealous that this organization has received a warm response from many people, she is jealous that is was growing and becoming quite successful – even though she actually put it down in her emails... she is mad that we could not afford to PAY her to emcee the event, but we offered her FREE stage time to promote her radio show and that was not good enough.
At this point, I feel that it is in my best interest to give her what she wants – I’m done with the Fans of Rocky Point, I will not be going back to Rocky Point. It is very unfortunate because if she really wanted to support the community and help make an impact on the tourism, she would not have done the things she did and said the things she did and retaliated vengefully – all because I could not afford to pay her $200 to emcee. She has destroyed all of my efforts.
I cannot express enough how sorry and sad I am to do this. But, I cannot and will not allow this kind of stress, worry and concern in my life. It is not a good feeling to have to worry about going to Rocky Point and worrying about what she might do. It is not a good feeling putting together an event to help the community and worry that she might try to make trouble with the people involved in the event. It’s not a good feeling involving my own kids with this organization and events and worry about what she might do next. I do not think that anyone with reasonable common sense would expect me to tolerate her actions and behavior. I have sought out a lot of advice this week and the consensus has been – they agree and cannot blame me for canceling and shutting it down. Everyone I have spoke to said that I'm not the first person she has done this to and that she has burned a lot of bridges and has done bad things to other people.
I just wanted all of the Fans of Rocky Point to know why this has happened. And, hopefully everyone can understand why I had to make this decision. I had a huge passion for what I was doing and again, it was a very hard decision to make.
If you paid for your wristbands through paypal – you will see a refund coming through paypal. If you paid by mail, I will send your refund by mail.
I’m sure almost everyone was going down that same weekend specifically for the Roger Clyne concert – so have fun!! I’m sure you will all still have a very enjoyable weekend!!

With much regret,
Fans of Rocky Point

P.S. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to message me privately.

Rosy....I sure don't want to piss you off....what with your cartel connections!!! :rofl:Surprising for someone who loves Rocky Point so much...that she will no longer come down????

Kenny

I'm also on that facebook page as I write this, and I just saw your reply (that I read) to her disappear right in front of my eyes. Are you going to rewrite it?

First hint of a change in our arrangement:

Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 5:51 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Festival de Musica

Hi Rosie,

I was hoping you would call me earlier. I have discussed it with the team organizers and looked at our finances and have decided that we cannot afford to have you both emcee the festival. I am already putting myself in a risky position with the fact that if we don't sell enough wristbands - I will have to pay the musicians out of my own pocket. It just is not financially feasible for me to take on an additional $200.

However, you both are more than welcome to have an entertainment spot during the festival to promote your show if you would like! That is all we are able to offer you at this time - some stage time to promote your show. Let me know if you both would like to do that and if so - what time would you prefer to do it.

Thanks for understanding, Rosie..... have a great evening!

This was my response.

Kelly, I’m sorry you didn’t get a call from me, but the phone lines work both ways and you could’ve called me, too. I am disappointed in your decision primarily because both Russ and I have been promoting your event heavily. I’m not a person who is used to this lack of commitment and frankly, when I commit to something, I am in all the way. Although radio ads weren’t part of our deal, we’ve been promoting your event incessantly every time we’re on the air. Those spots alone are worth over $200 dollars.

Just this morning I was at a meeting with local community leaders discussing which events would get major play throughout the year. I’m glad you are informing me of this decision now, because we were really about to pull out the stops and I don’t believe in one-sided relationships.

I wish you well with your event, and hope you will remember that if the bands are being paid to perform in Mexico, by law, they must have FM3s in place. On second thought, maybe that is a problem for the Sonoran Sun to handle.

Thank you,

Rosie Glover

Kenny

I was going back through the emails to find them! Be patient. Do you want me to post them here? I have no problem with that.
It was a few post's back, and I asked
You saw what she had in quotations from your (alleged) email Rosie, are you saying that all those quotes were made up?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I have been deleted from looking at the FB page and I have nothing going on...... I logged in as my wife and it seems that anything that goes against Kelly's side of the story is being deleted. I am not taking sides, except that I think it is wrong for her to cancel the event based on anything other than financial reasons........thats all I'm gonna say about this blah blah