Feb 10-14th, Getting Back To Normal

Bob Oso

Arrived at the border Wednesday 10th bout 9:00pm with a light rain, and gusty winds. The US guards poked their heads out of their parked vehicles and waved us through. Crossing was about the same thing, a quick glance over and waved us through.

After a quick stop for some taco's at Vasquez's, we were on our way and half dreading the now infamous 5 mile trek of uncertainy. Going passed the old delapitated bull ring we knew there was no turning back, and everyone was in full awareness mode. Thinking about how the past incidents developed I decided that I'd pick up my speed a little more then usual. We just crested a hill at about mile marker 13-14, and there it was, parked vehicles on either side of the road, one facing north, the other south. I look in the rearview, no one behind us, and decellerated almost coming to a complete stop about 50 yards before reaching them. I could see ther were 3-4 people in the middle of the raod, and was thinking what am I going to do now. At that moment they turned on their red / blue lights on top and I could clearly see they were well marked police vehicles, and one of them motioning his flashlight for us to approach. We pulled up rolled down the window the man with the flash light walked up and asked where we were going, told him Cholla, he stepped back and said have a nice trip. And after that it was.

We never much ventured out of Cholla, except once when one of my friends needed some cigars, and somehow we found ourselves on shanty row, at which point we were quickly pulled over and relieved of $40. Yep, things getting back to normal.