Federali presence in Sonoyta

Not exactly sure why, but coming in last night at the VIP, there was a HUGE presence of federali and army (green). Packed in the rear parking area and all around were maybe 50 or more vehicles. I don't think they were there for fuel, as the way they were parked was like cord wood. Thought it best not to take a picture! Soldiers in and around the store and pumps.

jerry

Not exactly sure why, but coming in last night at the VIP, there was a HUGE presence of federali and army (green). Packed in the rear parking area and all around were maybe 50 or more vehicles. I don't think they were there for fuel, as the way they were parked was like cord wood. Thought it best not to take a picture! Soldiers in and around the store and pumps.
Fronter @ [email protected] we are asking our community to be aware of possible eventualities between violent criminals of narco.... yesterday at the papago colony before the middle of the night and today at 3 in the morning in the colony center heard Of Heavy-calibre weapons... according to our source is expecting trouble between criminals from one moment to another.... Fronter @ SONOYT@....

SITREP 3-5 Feb 17...............

Crossed la linea at San Luis RC at noon Friday, got a green light and a happy faced young aduana waving us through. Both sides of the street with a fairly heavy presence of Mexican Army, maybe fifty soldiers and six Hummers with fifty cal Ma-Duces behind armored ring turret tops. From there to the toll road nothing of note. Paid a happy toll man 220 pesos for my six wheel dually to cross. Did an eighty mph run south then made the turn to the Coastal Hwy at El Golfo then on to PP. The Hwy was deserted other than a few local junkers up to their usual business. Saw a five truck convoy of Marines speeding northwards. That's it, nada, no demonstrators, no road blocks, nothing. Entered Penasco, noted that all Pemex stations were open for business. Got pesos at twenty to one at the Casa de Cambio accross from Sam's Club then on to my shrimp guy Alberto, loaded up twenty pounds of fresh sweet smelling Blues and Browns. Looked out at the harbor and it was a calm flat mirror. Outside the port was the same. The swell was maybe one inch! Not a breath of wind. New concrete road in construction up Whale Hill to El Capitan, they were closed though. Our condo in Mirador was just as we had left it. Friends there were broken into as they slept a few nights before. They managed to chase the guy off without an incident. Our maintenance guy said he chased another bandito off on Thursday night. He called Penasco Police and they caught him over on Chihuahua near the Pink Caddy, said they beat the shit outa him before taking him to the pokey. Had a good meal at the Frog, we were their ONLY customers.

Saturday morning saddled up the Wrangler and made the run south to Salinas Point for the final ten miles to the tip. The Sea was flat, could have made the run to Isla San Jorge from PP in my boat in less than an hour. Probably never see that again.

Found the biggest pre-conquest Indian shell midden that I have ever seen. Maybe sixty feet high made up of now long gone Oysters, Black Murexs, swimming Scallops and Gulf Conchs. Saw several ancient busted up big fired clay ollas with the shells. Saw hundreds of Barn Swallows and Cliff Swallows flying low hawking for shit flies on their northward migration. Spotted three fresh killed Olive Ridleys still dripping with dripping blood and guts. Behind the dunes we spotted an active Great Blue Heron rookery in a stand of tall fat Saguaros. At the point we saw a panga operation with maybe 1oo boats, several thousand wire traps, an Oyster farm and miles of gill nets being repaired. Not a soul there other than a watch man. Gave him a TKT, shot the shit a bit and left for the run back home without incident.

Had a good meal at the Friendly Dolphin, with maybe twenty other customers.

Woke up Sunday morning to a total FOG BANK. It burnt off by noon. We loaded up, hit Sam's Club for a few essentials and made the run back north. Passed two other vehicles then got in line for the military checkpoint at El Doctor. First time I've ever waited more than a few minutes, had maybe twenty vehicles ahead. They were picking through the cars pretty thoroughly. While we sat in line we were approached by a dozen or so filthy young male migrants begging for food and money. They did not speak any Spanish and were mostly doing hand gestures like pointing to their mouths and rubbing their bellies. Some of the Mexicans ahead of us were giving them left over snack bags and drinks. When I did hear them speak to each other it was Arabic. We saw maybe fifty or so more climbing onto the train cars that were being inspected by the military there. I asked one of the soldiers that was checking out my rig about them, he told me that they were not from Mexico.

Waited three and a half hours to cross back into FUSA without incident.

Plan on heading back with the boat on 3 March for the Leopard Grouper bite.

As for all of the rumors this past two months, all I can say is FAKE NEWS as usual.

Later,

JJ

jerry

Crossed la linea at San Luis RC at noon Friday, got a green light and a happy faced young aduana waving us through. Both sides of the street with a fairly heavy presence of Mexican Army, maybe fifty soldiers and six Hummers with fifty cal Ma-Duces behind armored ring turret tops. From there to the toll road nothing of note. Paid a happy toll man 220 pesos for my six wheel dually to cross. Did an eighty mph run south then made the turn to the Coastal Hwy at El Golfo then on to PP. The Hwy was deserted other than a few local junkers up to their usual business. Saw a five truck convoy of Marines speeding northwards. That's it, nada, no demonstrators, no road blocks, nothing. Entered Penasco, noted that all Pemex stations were open for business. Got pesos at twenty to one at the Casa de Cambio accross from Sam's Club then on to my shrimp guy Alberto, loaded up twenty pounds of fresh sweet smelling Blues and Browns. Looked out at the harbor and it was a calm flat mirror. Outside the port was the same. The swell was maybe one inch! Not a breath of wind. New concrete road in construction up Whale Hill to El Capitan, they were closed though. Our condo in Mirador was just as we had left it. Friends there were broken into as they slept a few nights before. They managed to chase the guy off without an incident. Our maintenance guy said he chased another bandito off on Thursday night. He called Penasco Police and they caught him over on Chihuahua near the Pink Caddy, said they beat the shit outa him before taking him to the pokey. Had a good meal at the Frog, we were their ONLY customers.

Saturday morning saddled up the Wrangler and made the run south to Salinas Point for the final ten miles to the tip. The Sea was flat, could have made the run to Isla San Jorge from PP in my boat in less than an hour. Probably never see that again.

Found the biggest pre-conquest Indian shell midden that I have ever seen. Maybe sixty feet high made up of now long gone Oysters, Black Murexs, swimming Scallops and Gulf Conchs. Saw several ancient busted up big fired clay ollas with the shells. Saw hundreds of Barn Swallows and Cliff Swallows flying low hawking for shit flies on their northward migration. Spotted three fresh killed Olive Ridleys still dripping with dripping blood and guts. Behind the dunes we spotted an active Great Blue Heron rookery in a stand of tall fat Saguaros. At the point we saw a panga operation with maybe 1oo boats, several thousand wire traps, an Oyster farm and miles of gill nets being repaired. Not a soul there other than a watch man. Gave him a TKT, shot the shit a bit and left for the run back home without incident.

Woke up Sunday morning to a total FOG BANK. It burnt off by noon. We loaded up, hit Sam's Club for a few essentials and made the run back north. Passed two other vehicles then got in line for the military checkpoint at El Doctor. First time I've ever waited more than a few minutes, had maybe twenty vehicles ahead. They were picking through the cars pretty thoroughly. While we sat in line we were approached by a dozen or so filthy young male migrants begging for food and money. They did not speak any Spanish and were mostly doing hand gestures like pointing to their mouths and rubbing their bellies. Some of the Mexicans ahead of us were giving them left over snack bags and drinks. When I did hear them speak to each other it was Arabic. We saw maybe fifty or so more climbing onto the train cars that were being inspected by the military there. I asked one of the soldiers that was checking out my rig about them, he told me that they were not from Mexico.

As for all of the rumors this past two months, all I can say is FAKE NEWS as usual.

Later,

JJ

BIG MAC

Is the price raise cancelled? I read elsewhere that is was just postponed to the 18th of this month.

Later,

JJ
Hey JJ where is Salinas Point never heard of it?

Hey Audi............

If you continue on the Coastal Highway south out of Puerto Penasco, about sixty miles or so you will come to a "Y" in the road. Take the right turn which heads on to the coast at El Desemboque. Just a short way from the turn you will see signs to the right that indicate that a place called Santo Tomas is somewhere out there. The rough dirt road will take you to the beach where there are some really nice beach homes, a couple of our posters here on this site live there. The road is passable with a two wheel drive car if you take care and maybe have a buddy following as the road is sandy in some spots. Any 4x4 will make it with no problemas. At the beach make a right turn and follow the beach north. No two wheel drive vehicle can continue from this point. I'm not sure as to the total miles to the tip at Salinas Point, but it's a great drive with few if anybody else usually out there. From the shore there is a channel out the Isla San Jorge, it is a shallow rocky seabed protected from the surf by the island. With every tide change new treasures wash up on the beach to include dead or dying sea turtles, dolphins, Sea Lions, whales, etc. You might even find a kilo bag of Mary-Jah-Wana washed up out there as I have found several over the years. There are always lots of unusual dead fish, sea birds and shells. Plan on using a lot of gas once on the sand and in 4x4 and keep track of your halfway point on your fuel gauge as there is no fuel between RP and Santo Tomas. I've never done the whole run in a day. We usually break it up into three or four trips. I always take a 5 gal. can of gas and have had to use it several times. You can see the huge dunes at the point from the Coastal Highway as Salinas Point forms what is mostly known as Bahia San Jorge. Those dunes are huge, over a hundred feet tall and the entire strip is just covered with thousand year old Indian garbage heaps known as shell middens. There are lots of pottery fragments around them and you will see the stones that they brought down from the mountains to the east that they used to break open the millions of clam, oyster, Murex and Conch shells to get to the meat. On the back side of the dunes is some of the most luxuriant cactus forest in the region. There are huge Saguaros, the organ pipe type known as the Senita and a huge cholla known as the Chain Fruit Cholla. The thickets of Mesquite and Squaw Brush are loaded with Gambel Quail, two types of woodpeckers, three types of thrashers, Roadrunners and the unusual Harris Hawk that hunts in packs. As for mammals, you will see two types of foxes, badgers, coyotes, Cottontail Rabbits and Jack Rabbits, as well as two types of ground squirrels. Great Blue Herons and Ospreys nest in the Saguaros there.

That kinda sums it up. Let me know if yer up for that trip as we always use it as an alternate if the sea is too nasty for boating.

JJ

Hey Audi............

If you continue on the Coastal Highway south out of Puerto Penasco, about sixty miles or so you will come to a "Y" in the road. Take the right turn which heads on to the coast at El Desemboque. Just a short way from the turn you will see signs to the right that indicate that a place called Santo Tomas is somewhere out there. The rough dirt road will take you to the beach where there are some really nice beach homes, a couple of our posters here on this site live there. The road is passable with a two wheel drive car if you take care and maybe have a buddy following as the road is sandy in some spots. Any 4x4 will make it with no problemas. At the beach make a right turn and follow the beach north. No two wheel drive vehicle can continue from this point. I'm not sure as to the total miles to the tip at Salinas Point, but it's a great drive with few if anybody else usually out there. From the shore there is a channel out the Isla San Jorge, it is a shallow rocky seabed protected from the surf by the island. With every tide change new treasures wash up on the beach to include dead or dying sea turtles, dolphins, Sea Lions, whales, etc. You might even find a kilo bag of Mary-Jah-Wana washed up out there as I have found several over the years. There are always lots of unusual dead fish, sea birds and shells. Plan on using a lot of gas once on the sand and in 4x4 and keep track of your halfway point on your fuel gauge as there is no fuel between RP and Santo Tomas. I've never done the whole run in a day. We usually break it up into three or four trips. I always take a 5 gal. can of gas and have had to use it several times. You can see the huge dunes at the point from the Coastal Highway as Salinas Point forms what is mostly known as Bahia San Jorge. Those dunes are huge, over a hundred feet tall and the entire strip is just covered with thousand year old Indian garbage heaps known as shell middens. There are lots of pottery fragments around them and you will see the stones that they brought down from the mountains to the east that they used to break open the millions of clam, oyster, Murex and Conch shells to get to the meat. On the back side of the dunes is some of the most luxuriant cactus forest in the region. There are huge Saguaros, the organ pipe type known as the Senita and a huge cholla known as the Chain Fruit Cholla. The thickets of Mesquite and Squaw Brush are loaded with Gambel Quail, two types of woodpeckers, three types of thrashers, Roadrunners and the unusual Harris Hawk that hunts in packs. As for mammals, you will see two types of foxes, badgers, coyotes, Cottontail Rabbits and Jack Rabbits, as well as two types of ground squirrels. Great Blue Herons and Ospreys nest in the Saguaros there.

That kinda sums it up. Let me know if yer up for that trip as we always use it as an alternate if the sea is too nasty for boating.

JJ
JJ that sounds like a great road trip would like to do that one day. I have a 100 gallon gas tank in the back of my 4x4 truck so gas would not be an issue.
I plan on taking my boat over the ocean to fish off of Desemboque tomorrow. I hope all the panga activity has not wiped out the fish. Your report on the activity behind the dunes concerns me a little cause anytime there is a lot of nets in the water the fishing usually sucks. I guess I will find out tomorrow.
It is a fifty mile run from the harbor to the way points I have and have done well there in the past but is has been a few years since I have been down there.

Went through about 5:30 pm Wed. everything seemed pretty normal to me. Came back today about 11:30am very little going on.