Fish Report for September 10, 2016

Shawno

Gregg and Jeff joined me on Saturday for some grouper fishing. The seas were flat and it was hot and sunny. We caught Spotted Bay Bass, Spot Tail Grunts, Cortez Grunts, and Sierra Mackerel for bait with sabiki rigs in 45' of water along the backside of Competition Hill. We headed to various reefs from 12 miles to 20 miles west and drifted with live bait rigs. Jeff had the hot rod and caught 40, 85, and 10 pound gulf grouper on each of the first 3 reefs we tried. The 2 big ones were really beautiful fish. Gregg caught a 20 pound gulf grouper and both he and I had big fish break our 200 pound leaders in the rocks. We fished until 6 pm, but the best fishing was before noon.

The sea was full of life. Small bonito or skipjacks were breaking water everywhere; boobies, gulls, frigate, and other sea birds fought for bait scraps; pods of dolphins worked the surface far and wide, flying fish made flight near the boat as we sped along, and gangs of pesky sea lions followed us wherever we went to perform their water ballet, steal our baits, and play tug of war with our fish.

We met up at the marina with several other boats after 6 pm. Brad, Dave, Miguel and Felipe on the Escape had 2 big black sea bass and some goldspot bass from 50 miles out. Jerry and friends on the El Gato Blanco had 2 halibut, 5 small dorado and some goldspot bass from 40 miles out.

It was another hot and sweaty, but otherwise great day on the Amazing Sea of Cortez!

Shawno

20160910_090429.jpg 20160910_094416.jpg 20160910_114006.jpg

Jerry's Halibut
Jerry Halibut.jpg

Last edited:

Kelney

Nice report and fish. I had crap for luck until 4:45 then the bite was on for me. Made for a long hot day until then.