Fish Story for April 11th

Shawno

Jeff Wolf, Tina, and I made it out on Saturday. It was rough and our top speed was just 20 to 25 mph without going airborne. Ten miles out I realized I forgot to get gas, so we had to go back. We only managed to catch 10 small mackerel at the 16-180 mile reef, even though the sonar was stacked. There were lots of grunts, and some bigger fish that kept busting our sabikis. I think the bigger ones were either Bonita or Yellowtail.
We didn't get to the reef until 1 pm and started catching Leopard Grouper right away. The drift was pretty fast, even with my drift anchor. Jeff suggested that we back-troll to hold the boat over the rock. It worked great and we started getting doubles after that. We quit at 6 pm with 15 Leopard Grouper and got back to the marina after 8 pm; tired and sore from the pounding. We caught the fish on live and frozen mackerel and stripped sierra/barracuda. Jeff caught the biggest one on a jig. The fish measured 35" long and 19 pounds. The white sea bass must have all moved to another reef.

We had a great time fishing the amazing Sea of Cortez.
Shawno

20150411_144942_resized_1.jpg 20150411_144954_resized_1.jpg 20150411_181254_resized_1.jpg
20150411_16485.jpg

dmcauley

Good job Shawno. I opted not to go out because I'm still sore from all my operations, but you make me feel good about it because if it rough for u it was definitely no good for me. I'll catch up to you one of these days. Tight lines buddy

tbudde2

I just moved here. Love to fish. Looked for the dive shop yesterday. Did it relocate or go out of business? Do I require a license to spear fish in front of my resort?

AZRob

I just moved here. Love to fish. Looked for the dive shop yesterday. Did it relocate or go out of business? Do I require a license to spear fish in front of my resort?
The dive shop is on main drag coming into town passed RR tracks on your left next to a drug store in a little shopping complex. I wouldn't worry about a Lic. to spear fish off shore.