Fish Wardens

joanC

I don't want to see any of you great white USA fishers get into trouble so you should know any bragging about how many hundred fish faces or fish pounds you got into the boat might be monitored on this site by the Mexican authorities. My son talked to the Safe Harbor boat dock guys yesterday about the costs of parking his 20 ft boat. A young guy there told Sean his boat would be ok there but don't ever have any fishing stuff in the boat without a license and that the fish wardens were counting fish. He said some big gringo boats there were going to be in trouble with "marina inspectadoras " about "pescado excesivo y sin licencia". He would not be specific about which boats.

playaperro

El Pirata
I don't want to see any of you great white USA fishers get into trouble so you should know any bragging about how many hundred fish faces or fish pounds you got into the boat might be monitored on this site by the Mexican authorities. My son talked to the Safe Harbor boat dock guys yesterday about the costs of parking his 20 ft boat. A young guy there told Sean his boat would be ok there but don't ever have any fishing stuff in the boat without a license and that the fish wardens were counting fish. He said some big gringo boats there were going to be in trouble with "marina inspectadoras " about "pescado excesivo y sin licencia". He would not be specific about which boats.
Big Gringos sounds like Stuart & Chari (ladyjeeper), They love to kill fish.

Landshark

Big Gringos sounds like Stuart & Chari (ladyjeeper), They love to kill fish.
I thought the same thing but about the "great white USA fishers" part. At first I thought "great white" referred to the shark, but then decided it was a racial slur. Then I thought of Stuart. It was good to report the cops are checking boats but no need to be a smart ass about it.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We love you too, Joan. :rolleyes:

No worries here. I haven't been out since October and my boat has been here in the states since then, so it certainly ain't me they're looking for. I can tell you that I do know a boat that is likely on their list, though. They slay a lot of fish.

Advice? Safe Marine is way overpriced for storage. Unless Sean is using it every weekend, it's hardly worth it. Have him go see Ruben Mendez over at Whale Hill. Every bit as secure and a lot less cost.

Fish inspectors -- They are very few and very far between. I have seen them before. They'll show up in their well-marked boat, cruise around for a couple days to let everybody know "they're on the job." Then you don't see them again for a few years. You're more likely to be stopped by the Navy for paperwork/drug check than you are by the fish police. The Navy doesn't care and doesn't enforce any fish laws.

If you've got fishing gear on the boat, then YES, you need a fishing license. Simple as that, and we buy them yearly (at least, anyone that fishes on my boat).

Last edited:

Landshark

We love you too, Joan. :rolleyes:

No worries here. I haven't been out since October and my boat has been here in the states since then, so it certainly ain't me they're looking for. I can tell you that I do know a boat that is likely on their list, though. They slay a lot of fish.

Advice? Safe Marine is way overpriced for storage. Unless Sean is using it every weekend, it's hardly worth it. Have him go see Ruben Mendez over at Whale Hill. Every bit as secure and a lot less cost.

Fish inspectors -- They are very few and very far between. I have seen them before. They'll show up in their well-marked boat, cruise around for a couple days to let everybody know "they're on the job." Then you don't see them again for a few years. You're more likely to be stopped by the Navy for paperwork/drug check than you are by the fish police. The Navy doesn't care and doesn't enforce any fish laws.

If you've got fishing gear on the boat, then YES, you need a fishing license. Simple as that, and we buy them yearly (at least, anyone that fishes on my boat).
To clarify, I wasn't thinking you were overfishing Stuart, I was thinking she was giving you crap because of your passion for fishing.

I thought she was trying to call ya'll a bunch of "Honkie Muh fuh's!" Lol. (It's from a movie, tell me which one and I will give you a dime.)

So is said boat a touristy type boat Stuart? If so could you maybe let me know so if we decide to charter one in April that we avoid that boat?

YumaJames

As Stuart said, I have my boat stored with Ruben at Whale Hill in covered storage for a lot cheaper than storing it outside at Safe Marina. I like Safe Harbor and all the guys who work there, but Ruben offers a way better deal for covered storage. I'm not gonna comment on fish limits and inspections, because that's already been discussed in a previous thread.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
To clarify, I wasn't thinking you were overfishing Stuart, I was thinking she was giving you crap because of your passion for fishing.
I thought she was trying to call ya'll a bunch of "Honkie Muh fuh's!" Lol. (It's from a movie, tell me which one and I will give you a dime.)

So is said boat a touristy type boat Stuart? If so could you maybe let me know so if we decide to charter one in April that we avoid that boat?
I'm used to taking crap. I've been married most of my adult life. Hahahah!

The boat - no, not a tourist charter. Private boat; they don't post here.

I'll take the movie "The Survivors" for a dime, Alex...

I'm used to taking crap. I've been married most of my adult life. Hahahah!

The boat - no, not a tourist charter. Private boat; they don't post here.

I'll take the movie "The Survivors" for a dime, Alex...
DING DING DING!!!!!!
We have uh winner!
OK bud good to know.

joanC

"Glad to hear no one got caught overfishing. The laws in Az are tough, but I expect they are way tougher in Mx, specially on a foreigner. The young guy at Safe Boat said yesterday the fish cops are watching and filming in his yard and know a lot about the fisher boats. Be careful, guys. "

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
"Glad to hear no one got caught overfishing. The laws in Az are tough, but I expect they are way tougher in Mx, specially on a foreigner. The young guy at Safe Boat said yesterday the fish cops are watching and filming in his yard and know a lot about the fisher boats. Be careful, guys. "
The laws in Mexico are quite different. In most cases, they simply confiscate your boat and all your fishing gear. Pretty high price to pay, especially if you have a nice boat! Best advice? Have a valid fishing license and stay within your limits. Nobody can find fault with you for that. The guys at Safe Marine know everybody and all the boats; they see what everyone brings back in. Your only other option is to launch at the public harbor (I used to do that, but it's very difficult now with a big boat) or launch and recover over in Cholla. Again, a little tough with a larger boat; parking is a pain because they launch by JJs. Most of the launches in Cholla are from guys that keep there boats in a boat house over there.

Hey Stuart, every time I go down I hit the fishing shop by La Curva and ask for a fishing license. Same lady every time tells me "no es necesario...".
I have been told that if I am fishing from shore not to worry about it but fishing from a boat I need one.
We went out on a Panaga 2 trips ago and I asked Eduardo the same thing and he said "no es necesario". So whats the deal?
Where can I get one and how much are they?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
None required from shore is correct. You are indeed required to have one fishing from a boat regardless of what anyone tells you. I buy mine through Vagabundos (travel group) online; you have to be a member. In Rocky Point, go to city hall to buy one. That is the only place that sells them that I'm aware of. It's a small office buried in that building; you'll have to ask someone to point it out to you because it's buried down one of the corridors of the city hall building. Open normal business hours for the most part, but hey, it's Mexico. You might not catch the guy there on your first attempt. Buy one for the year, about $37 cash money USD. I don't recall if they take credit cards, but I don't think so.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Outside Magdalena Bay, just south of Thetis Bank, with a couple of my kids, a few years ago...Tuna, dorado and 13 striped marlin caught and released that day..