Fishing at Cholla Bay

I was wondering where is a good place to fish off the rocks at Cholla Bay and where to park.
I've been trying to catch something off the Sandy Beach and no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I was wondering where is a good place to fish off the rocks at Cholla Bay and where to park.
I've been trying to catch something off the Sandy Beach and no luck. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Click on the Google map link, you can park in the empty lot shown in street view or anywhere along the roads at Pinto Point, just be cool
about not blocking the narrow streets. Pretty good fishing either side of the large white house on the point, there are 2-3 concrete walk ways to the water.
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.336232,-113.635303,233a,42.4y,0.74t/data=!3m1!1e3
Shhhh! Don't tell anybody.;)

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks
You can also park near Pelican Point or Tucson Beach is a decent place to park on weekdays when it's not a zoo. Sundays... forget about it. Also, dont leave visible items in cars. Report of break snatch and grab jobs in Cholla recently.

Is the fishing better from shore or from the water (on a boat/kayak)?
Would you advise against going out on/launching an inflatable kayak/boat in this area (because of the seemingly sharp rocks)?

Also, I meant to ask you before, Joe, when kayak fishing do you normally drift fish or anchor down? Do you ever anchor down, and if so in what situations? And what is that bouy rig that is depicted in a picture from another thread where you are fishing choya bay from the yellow cobra..? Thx in advance..

Qban-

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Is the fishing better from shore or from the water (on a boat/kayak)?
Would you advise against going out on/launching an inflatable kayak/boat in this area (because of the seemingly sharp rocks)?

Also, I meant to ask you before, Joe, when kayak fishing do you normally drift fish or anchor down? Do you ever anchor down, and if so in what situations? And what is that bouy rig that is depicted in a picture from another thread where you are fishing choya bay from the yellow cobra..? Thx in advance..

Qban-

Water for sure. Chances go up 100% with a kayak compared to shore fishing. It's unreal. Some of the fish I catch are real close to shore but just outside of casting distance. Kayak is FTW. When you launch in Cholla there are two places to launch from sand so dont worry about the rocks. I usually drift around but I do have an anchor and I think that is what you are referring to in one of my pics. The bouy is on the anchor line so that if the anchor is trying to drown me (this has happened) or I have a fish on and I need to unclip the anchor line from the boat the bouy holds the anchor line up obviously so I dont lose the anchor and can return and re-hookup or retrieve the anchor. Using an anchor can be really dangerous and I have learned the hard way. Always let out a ton more line that you think you need and keep that anchor at the bow of the boat.

Generally, bottom fishing anchor down. Fast drift, meaning strong current that day or wind and you may consider anchoring down if you are trying to bottom fish. For pelagic fishing, Corvina and Sierra Macks you just paddle around and sling metal. You might be jigging a certain area so you just figure out which way the drift is going, paddle to the start of the area and just drift fish a point or rock area for 5 minutes then paddle back to the start area again and do it over. I also have the anchor for staying put in the bay while I'm tying up or having lunch or a beer and relaxing. When the wind is out of the South Cholla Bay is calm so it is a wonderful place to swim and overall relax in the kayak or re-tie lures and things like that.

Cheers!

Water for sure. Chances go up 100% with a kayak compared to shore fishing. It's unreal. Some of the fish I catch are real close to shore but just outside of casting distance. Kayak is FTW. When you launch in Cholla there are two places to launch from sand so dont worry about the rocks. I usually drift around but I do have an anchor and I think that is what you are referring to in one of my pics. The bouy is on the anchor line so that if the anchor is trying to drown me (this has happened) or I have a fish on and I need to unclip the anchor line from the boat the bouy holds the anchor line up obviously so I dont lose the anchor and can return and re-hookup or retrieve the anchor. Using an anchor can be really dangerous and I have learned the hard way. Always let out a ton more line that you think you need and keep that anchor at the bow of the boat.

Generally, bottom fishing anchor down. Fast drift, meaning strong current that day or wind and you may consider anchoring down if you are trying to bottom fish. For pelagic fishing, Corvina and Sierra Macks you just paddle around and sling metal. You might be jigging a certain area so you just figure out which way the drift is going, paddle to the start of the area and just drift fish a point or rock area for 5 minutes then paddle back to the start area again and do it over. I also have the anchor for staying put in the bay while I'm tying up or having lunch or a beer and relaxing. When the wind is out of the South Cholla Bay is calm so it is a wonderful place to swim and overall relax in the kayak or re-tie lures and things like that.

Cheers!
Good deal. I guess I'll have to get me a bouy and experiment with rigging an anchor on the inflatable.. I have my cobra explorer rigged up with a trolly line for the anchor but haven't really rigged my inflatable 'yak.. A lot to learn for sure.. As always thanks for the invaluable info Joe.. I'll have to take your advice and look on some kayak fishing forums for riggin ideas, etc.. I have a hummingbird 170FF with battery n all that I've yet to rig up.. Ideally I'd mount it on a removable rig/platform that I can transfer between my inflatable boat, IK and SOT kayaks..

Joel C.

Anybody know what kind of fish this is? I caught him from the rocks at Tucson Beach. I’ve been searching everywhere for 2 weeks and I haven’t seen anything like it. Anybody have an idea??

Another thing with an anchor is do not use one you don't want to take a chance on losing. I use a big plastic jug filled with small rocks and shells