Fishing Charter

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Anyone have a recommendation for a charter in San Diego. 4 guys, August 18 for a day of tuna fishing. Don't want the party boat, just a decent captain and a decent boat with reasonable rates.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Indeed. Bloodydecks is more SoCal centric and you're likely to find your answer much faster than here. We're just a bunch of old RockyPoint fishermen. :)

B

bwitry

Go to H&M Landing and get on Maverick; they're a good crew.

F

fotat

google point loma fishing and the boat is called Point Loma. Great time and good captain.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
For a group of 4 guys going out of San Diego, any of the good 6-pack boats on a 5-5 daily charter will put you on fish.

I'll also recommend that if you are looking for a small boat charter out of San Diego, you will want to be booking Aug-Sept trips during Jan or Feb. These trips book up fast when June rolls around...

Here are a couple links to San Diego Private charter companies. surf around their sites and you will find the price ranges...

http://www.executivetackle.com/

http://www.danalanding.com/black.htm

http://www.performancecharterssandiego.com/trips_and_services.htm

This post is a little late for this year, but hope it helps for next year.

Here's a pic of my haul taken this past Aug 2nd- we fished 90 miles SW of SD aboard the Pacific Quest out of Fisherman's Landing. I boated 6 Yellowfin running 25-35 pounds each.

Attachments

B

bahiatrader

I went out one time on a party boat and didn't really like it even though I caught albacore. There were some rude people on board. I did win enough in the poker game on the way back in to pay for our trip.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yeah I agree... party boat trips are always hit or miss, and if you are less experienced to the party boat "protocol" then the pressure can be pretty intense to make sure you move up and down the rail correctly, and over/under other guys that are hooked up.

I've been fishing California offshore (both party boats and charter) for going on 25 years, and I'd say that the percentage of party boat trips that were "black-eyed" by rude people runs about 15%...

I've also noticed over the past 5-7 years that the Deck hands and Skippers have put more pressure on the customers. Back in the day if you broke off a fish they might make fun of you or laugh, but now they can get downright pissed at a lost fish because it lowers their fish count for the trip... the business pressures are really mounting.

All that being said- It's still a blast....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
One of these days... I'm doing a 10-15 day long range trip on the Excel or Red Rooster or...

It's something I've always wanted to do at least once. Yeah, it's expensive, but you have a shot at joining the 300 Club (boating a tuna over 300 lbs.). Not to mention hanging out with some great fishermen and learning lots about fishing.

Most of the local one day (or less) party boats are just a pain in the ass - tangled lines galore and sculpin and barracuda being the big catches of the day. But, to each their own. Go out on a two or three day boat and your in with a more serious group of fishermen and (usually) much better fish.

Go out on a long ranger and you're fishing elite!:boat:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Oh yeah, the long range boats are the experience of a lifetime. I'll definitely do one as well, and will make sure to take to option to disembark in Cabo and fly home after the fishing is over. I've been told that the 3 day run back to San Diego is as as boring as anything, unless you can easily spend 16 hours per day watching videos, playing cards, or reading.... I'd get cabin fever.

Stuart- you have no need for the Overnight San Diego boats (unless it was to gather some GPS coordinates on your handheld ;-)). Your boat looks perfectly set up to go tuna smashing, and there are 5 free launch ramps in San Diego harbor... your boat could probably be on the tuna grounds in 45 minutes on good water. I'm sure you buy an annual mexican license, so the Coronado islands are also fishable, and they are closer to SD than Bird Island is to RP.

Too bad it takes twice as much gas to get to SD as RP....:lol:

B

bwitry

Go to H&M Landing and charter Mustang. I have spent at least eight nights on the boat. Good food, not a party boat, and good results.