Fishing/ Clamming at LaPinta

CBFinet

Hello all. First time poster here but i've found lots of useful info so far.

My parents recently got a place near pelican point. I've been down once and picked up some rock bas and what I think were leather jacks from the reef near the rv park.

I'm hoping to make it to La Pinta when I'm down around new years to try for flounder, corvina, and possible dig some clams. I may be picking up a used zodiac before then but for now am just fishing from the beach.

Any suggestions for areas to try for any or all of the above? I found some directions for getting to the beach near fish camp and Mayan... I'm hoping to make a day of it- fish the high tide, dig clams for a while on the low tide, and then fish the incoming tide. Planning on using drop shot rigs w/ squid for flounder and then casting spoons and swim/jerk baits if I can find any fish or pelicans working bait.

Is the beach there decent to launch a 12 ft Zodiac? I'm fairly new to Mexico fishing so any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and also for all the helpful information i've found here so far.

Chris

AZ ROB

If you go from a motorized Zodiac I believe you will need a Mexican fishing license.. Others may have more knowledge about this but it is one thing you dont want to be caught without. Talked to a guy who got busted while fishing off of a Jet ski.

playaperro

El Pirata
Sorry about the Hi-jack Chris, yes you can launch there, I would pay someone to help launch the zodiac, salt water very bad for the vehicle and trailer.

Roberto

There is a huge clam bed at La Pinta. Park at the old hacienda and go left down the beach for about 1/4 mile. Watch for a large white cube to your left at the edge of the beach. There is an old reef there, very rocky but lots and lots of clams. You hardly have to dig at low tide. Sometimes you will see them pissing up in the air.

If you look on the Google maps you can see where there is a channel close to the beach about where the clams are, good spot to fish as the tide comes in. To the right, up the beach into the estuary there is a reef you can see at low tide and a wooden pole sticking out of the water. The locals like to fish there as the time comes in. Further into the estuary you can visit Gillespie's Gold stamping mill site. Just look for what looks like a rockfall on the escarpment.

Pangeros launch all the time and they have put some shells on the surface of the sand there up to the tide line, but sometimes the beach is all torn up from their trucks making it a little difficult when you get past the tide line.

CBFinet

Thanks for the info Roberto. I've read about every post related to La Pinta and shore/surf fishing at this point.

Looking at the map it seems you're talking about the Mayan side of the estuary mouth. I can see a white "cube" near the point on that side if that's what you're talking about for clams. But... from what I gather the abandoned hacienda is on the East/South side of the estuary mouth. It looks like the channel(s) are more accessible from the Mayan side. My parents used to have a Mayan time share and still may have a card lying around somewhere so may try to get in on that side. From looking at GoogleEarth it seems there's a road that runs almost all the way to the point on that side. Am I hoping for too much in getting in on the Mayan side?

Sorry for all the questions. Ultimately I'll end up doing some exploring and figuring it out but I'm trying to maximize time fishing.

One more thing. My family's place is actually at Esmeralda, the furthest North place in Sandy Beach so last time I was down I fished the reef in front of the RV park. I'm hoping to try off the rocks at Pelican Point as a closer option but it looks like there are houses all through there off the road. Is there anywhere to get down to the water without trespassing or at people there pretty cool about it?

Roberto

Thanks for the info Roberto. I've read about every post related to La Pinta and shore/surf fishing at this point.

Looking at the map it seems you're talking about the Mayan side of the estuary mouth. I can see a white "cube" near the point on that side if that's what you're talking about for clams. But... from what I gather the abandoned hacienda is on the East/South side of the estuary mouth. It looks like the channel(s) are more accessible from the Mayan side. My parents used to have a Mayan time share and still may have a card lying around somewhere so may try to get in on that side. From looking at GoogleEarth it seems there's a road that runs almost all the way to the point on that side. Am I hoping for too much in getting in on the Mayan side?

Sorry for all the questions. Ultimately I'll end up doing some exploring and figuring it out but I'm trying to maximize time fishing.

One more thing. My family's place is actually at Esmeralda, the furthest North place in Sandy Beach so last time I was down I fished the reef in front of the RV park. I'm hoping to try off the rocks at Pelican Point as a closer option but it looks like there are houses all through there off the road. Is there anywhere to get down to the water without trespassing or at people there pretty cool about it?
Don't be sorry about asking questions here. That's what it should be all about and most are more than Happy (Pun intended) to help out with their experiences and information.

No I'm not referring to the Mayan side. What you are seeing is probably the old development office building that is out past the golf course. What I referred to is on the other side as you indicated. The white cube is about refrigerator size and does not appear on the Google Map. You can see Gillespies abandoned hacienda on Google. I think the main channel into the estuary runs closer to the Gillespie side. You will not be allowed on that road on the Mayan as I was told by the last manager of the golf course.

You definately want to be on the other side of the estuary. Take water, food and fishing stuff and spend the whole day there. It's really easy to find, has decent access and is really beautiful. Whether the fish will be biting when you visit, only Carnac can tell and he is busy finding the gold deposits in the area.

Jim Bob

User is currently banned
My brother Bob and i also have a Zodiac 14 foot we want to get a gps hand held can anyone here recomend one don't have too much money to spend on one so one not over 200 hundred dollars less if posible but we don't want something that will not last thankyou ahead of time

Chris
Welcome to the best site for Puerto Penasco.
Only a fishing license is required. If you fish from the beach you don't even need one.
As with the other person fishing from a jet ski I had the patrol boat come up to me a few weeks back and I just hollered at them and told them I had a license. They waved and went on there way.
Do the right thing and get a license.

JoseAz

Don't be sorry about asking questions here. That's what it should be all about and most are more than Happy (Pun intended) to help out with their experiences and information.

No I'm not referring to the Mayan side. What you are seeing is probably the old development office building that is out past the golf course. What I referred to is on the other side as you indicated. The white cube is about refrigerator size and does not appear on the Google Map. You can see Gillespies abandoned hacienda on Google. I think the main channel into the estuary runs closer to the Gillespie side. You will not be allowed on that road on the Mayan as I was told by the last manager of the golf course.

You definately want to be on the other side of the estuary. Take water, food and fishing stuff and spend the whole day there. It's really easy to find, has decent access and is really beautiful. Whether the fish will be biting when you visit, only Carnac can tell and he is busy finding the gold deposits in the area.
Hey Roberto, I'm thinking about doing some clamming next week. the above is an old post....still the hot spot? any new advice? thanks!

Roberto

Have not been there clamming but that bed has been there a loooong time so I'm confident there are still clams there. Remember go at a low tide, lower the better.