Fishing Derby

mermaid

I was out in Cholla Bay this weekend and saw a flyer for an upcoming fishing derby for the cholla bay sportsmen's club. Anyone know anything about this. It says it's the 57th annual derby. How come I have never heard of this, is it a private fishing club or can anyone join?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I don't know all the details, but in the past, it's been open to anyone. Fill out a registration and pay the entry fee. They typically do it in phases, not just a single day tournament thing. And, it's not based on single biggest fish -- based on largest of specific species, like largest yellowtail, largest snapper, etc. Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think grouper and black seabass are excluded from the derby. Just what I recall about it off the top of my head.

cholla

Well Known Member
Forum Supporter
If you go to the radio room just west of JJs that is where the derby is centered. Should be able to get all the info there. Usually 3 different days during the year. And then the biggest fish wins. Different catagories like Stuart said, shore fishing, boat fishing. Different species. at the end of it all they do a fish fry at the old boys social club. We have been the last 4 years, its a fun time.

John