Fishing July 4th

dmcauley

After getting blown off the water on Friday I decided to wait Sat. morning 'til after 9 to see if the water settled a bit. Looked all right until we started out to a reef 13 miles out and the wind came up. We fought the incoming waves for almost an hour to get to my spot and dropped two baited scampi. I used a frozen skip jack that I later found out to be from Stuart's trip, and Willy Cozine used a large sierra. Immediately Willy got hit and almost as quick I had a big one on also. The fight was on and Iwas glad I had a 400 lb leader to pull mine out of the rocks. Up came a 65-75 pounder after a short fight and Willy had a twin gulf grouper,that was 4-5 lbs heavier than mine boated.
The big ones are all over the close reefs right now and I'm looking forward to next weekend.
I think some of us Safe Marine guys need to get together and get a scale so we can get some true weight on the monsters we've been bringing in.

ReelHard

grouper slayer
way togo dan. you were definitely due for a few good ones. scott and i should be down next weekend.