Fishing Las Conchas Area

ramflo

Hi everyone, I just recently (moving in May 24) rented a home in Las Conchas for the next year. Im from Tucson and plan on going up at least twice a month. I love to fish, fish for Bass quite a bit at Roosevelt, Apache, etc. I have not tried shore fishing in RP but plan on buying gear this week to take up Memorial weekend. Ive been reading threads and have the basics...kastmaster is king I know. Anyway, I would really like any info about fishing Las Conchas. I'm about a 1/2 mile from the guardhouse and would love to get up in the morning (or evening) and walk over to the beach and fish. Any suggestions on rigs, bait, lures and technique. Truly a newbie to shore fishing but I know my way round rod and reel.

Thanks all.

Hooch

Well Known Member
Get a boat, panga or at least a good Kayak. Shore fishing blows. Trust me I know first hand

jwolters4

I have really good luck fishing from a kayak with Little Cleo spoons. You could try bait fishing from shore with squid? But you may catch stingrays...:notme:

jerry

Well Known Member
Don't listen to the guy above about shore fishing Last summer we had kids coming by that had never fished catching up to 2 foot long Corvina.I find just before high tide with your feet out of the water (don't ask me why) you will catch fish. Use shrimp on a hook bobber combo or a 3/4 oz kastmaster (encourage the lure as it makes fishing a more action sport for older kids ) The Corvina cooked on a grill on aluminum foil are the best for Fish tacos

audsley

Well Known Member
ramflo,

You sound a lot like me. From Tucson, know your way around rod and reel, but inexperienced with this shore fishing thing.

I haven't seen anyone catch a Corvina from shore at Las Conchas for quite a few years. I'm sure it happens, but I believe you're odds will improve greatly if you go to an estuary or cove. La Pinta would be my first choice, Marua my last, and points between north Sandy Beach and Cholla Bay somewhere in the middle. You might even try around Safe Marina. More experienced folks can correct me, but that's my impression.

I stay away from baits because you aren't catching Corvina when you're pulling in sand bass and releasing them. It's like fishing the Northern Rockies with lures instead of flies - after releasing so many whitefish, you learn to stick with flies. I learned to stop using some wonderful swim baits at La Pinta because the sand bass just won't leave them alone.

I'd never thought about keeping my feet out of the water, but it's probably a good idea as it should also help keep the sting ray barbs out of your ankles. I like to allow the incoming tide to rise to mid-thigh or higher, especially in yhot weather, but once I've hooked a fish I tend to start moving. That's when it can get dangerous. I should probably start keeping out of the water.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ramflo

Thanks all. I do have a small 15 ft aluminum basstracker that i retired about two years ago...i now have an 18 foot nitro that i use. The tracker is sound with a 25 hp and trolling motor. Could i use this boat in RP? Im thinking just offshore and on the calmest days?

jmcdtucson

Well Known Member
Audsley, what do you use to catch Corvina that doesn't also catch tons of sand bass? I always just have to deal with pulling those off every other cast.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Audsley, what do you use to catch Corvina that doesn't also catch tons of sand bass? I always just have to deal with pulling those off every other cast.

Catching tons of sand bass (Spotted Bay Bass actually) is a GREAT thing if you want to catch Corvina.

When there are Spotted Bay Bass in the area, then there are baitfish in the area.

Spotted Bay Bass are home-bodies - they typically hang around their home rocks. Corvinas are roamers - they never stop swimming and they roam up and down the shore in schools.

The best places to find Corvina are in places where there is a breakline where the speed of the water changes- this might be a sand bar, or a rock outcropping, or the mouth of an estuary, but a Corvina bite can erupt anywhere along the coast when a school of hungry fish encounters a school of bait fish. Watch for diving birds, jumping baitfish, or boiling fish- throw a kastmaster into the middle of the melee and hold on...

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
drop shot rig with a pyramid sinker (1oz) hook about 1 foot above the sinker. put squid or cut up baitfish on the hook. you can even hit the tides in the early AM and pick up snails and store them in some water and break them open for good slimy bait. you will catch rock bass, trigger, and more. caught a nice corvina last summer from the shore in las conchas and will be fishing 4 days straight from the shore this june. shore fishing rocks when you cant get on a boat

Parrothead Pescador

I've caught corvina and flounder casting the sand beaches from Las Conchas to La Pinta estuary. Kastmasters and blue jointed rebels have worked well for me. I do best when the tide is coming in, near high tide. As Robert said, if you see the birds diving, get there quick and cast. I do better on the edges than in the middle and catch fewer birds that way. Also. use light tackle and line. When I switched from 8 lb bass rig to a 30 lb surfcaster, my catch rate dropped by at least 80%. From Las Conchas, try the inlet to Mora estuary east of Tessoro. That can be good in the right conditions. Good luck!

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
For lure fishing anything silver and flashy will catch fish. Ive yet to catch a corvina on a lure but then again have only got into corvina once and it was a blast. Goin to go lighter with my line as parrot head suggests for my next trip and see how that works out.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I agree on all counts Parrothead. Kastmaster is the best lure due to how easy it is to throw, and fish love 'em! Rocks, estuary mouths and anywhere you can see bait or pelicans diving is where to fish. Do work the edges of bait pods and also cast out beyond if you can as fish often are pinning the bait to shore.

Here is what I would add: Surface lures! If the water is calm I use surface lures almost exclusively. If fish run too small I go to kastmaster right away. If it is choppy I also go to a kastmaster. Most of my friends use spoons all the time, and I do catch fewer fish on the top. The ones I catch are also bigger on top so to me it is worth it. The other benefit is I am always the first one aware that fish are present. Corvina follow the topwater baits more that they hit it. The biggest benefit is how fun it is to see them hit on the surface! Poppers do NOT work well. Any type of slider, or twitch bait, is very good. The rattling Zara Spook in silver and blue or chartreuse and green is a good bet. My absolute favorite lure though is a double prop bait with large propellers front and back. I vary the speed of the retrieve until I get hits then stick with that speed. Usually a moderate steady pace that just keeps the front prop kicking up a little water is the best. The big fish in my profile pics was caught on a silver and black woodchopper FYI. First lure out of the box to this day!

Use light line 10-8 lbs, keep your drag light, and do not play the fish rough! Corvina have a soft mouth and you can pull the hook right out if you bully the fish. Just to make it even more challenging I use single barbless hooks on my spoons and barbless treble on my surface lures. It makes it easy to shake off all the small fish. I do lose a few keepers that way, but I am OK with that. I am not in it to fill the freezer, just to have fun!

azfish

Well Known Member
Go out in high tide, walk out as deep as you can go and cast as far as you can. you will catch fish, thats what I do.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Rays are easier to step on at LOW tide. Always shuffle your feet and kick up sand to scare off the rays (the famous "Cortez Shuffle"). NEVER walk into the Sea of Cortez bare footed! I wear neoprene wading shows, at least put a sneaker on those tootsies. I have had a direct ray hit on bare skin and I still have a dent in my ankle from 1975. It is not fun.

Another note one high tide, always cast a few times before stepping into the water. At times the Corvina are pinning bait in very shallow water. If you get hits right before the lure gets to you, walking into the water will spook all the fish you seek. I noticed this once and my friends ignored it until I realized I was the only one catching fish. Cast first then wade.

audsley

Well Known Member
When this was discussed a couple of years ago, it was also emphasized that early and late in the day is important. Has anyone had luck with a high tide in the middle of the day?

jerry

Well Known Member
yea but I think if daytime high tide is higher that the previous night tide you do better.
When this was discussed a couple of years ago, it was also emphasized that early and late in the day is important. Has anyone had luck with a high tide in the middle of the day?

ramflo

Thanks everyone for the info. Just stocked up with plenty of spoons and kastmasters. Raided my bass gear for anything silver and shiny, especially topwater. I also bought some weights and hooks for bait. I'm gonna try a medium action 6'6 rod with a spincast. Putting on 20 lb spectra braid (6 pound equivalent diameter) with 12 lb flouro leader. I'll also take one of the my bass baitcasters. Im leaving Thursday evening (be in RP til Tuesday) so I'll let all know how your advice has worked. I'm not familiar as to where estuaries are in RP but I'll figure it out. Gonna try near the house at Conchas first though. One last question. What should I do to keep (or limit) the saltwater from affecting my gear?

Thanks again.

Ram

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
i have had some of my best luck during high tides around noon. i got some topwater lures last year but never ended up using them due to the rougher conditions. will give them a try this year if allowed. they are about 5-6 inches long and hopefully can get a good cast on them. 12 days till im down there!!!!

side note - my dad was down last week. said the people staying next door to our condo in las conchas were catching corvina, flounder, and pampano like it was going out of style!!! cant wait to get down there