Fishing March 27

J

jshetric

Me and a group of friends are heading down to Rocky Point the weekend of March 27 and are thinking about arranging a fishing trip are hoping that some of you board menbers here can give us some advice.

Based on the little bit of research that I have done, it seems that the most interesting fishing (catching fish like red snapper, goldspotted bass, and larger sea bass) during this time of year requires going out 20+ miles is this correct? Also, is this the best (the situation where we are most likely to catch fish) type of fishing to do this time of year?

It seems like in order to do the type of fishig above that we would need to do a day long boat trip, is that correct?

Thank you all in advance for your help with this and I would also appreciate any other information regarding our planning a fishing trip that weekend you would like to share.

John

J

jshetric

Which Spring Break?

ASU is March 8-15 and U of A March 16-20.

We are purposefully trying to avoid Spring Break.

B

bahiatrader

I would suggest that the first time out, you make reservations with a charter boat. I haven't looked on line lately, but i'm sure you can make reservatins with a regular charter boat. I can't make any recommendations without stepping on someone's toes. They're all good guys, they all like to fish, and they're usually pretty good fishermen. I recommend spending the money for a full day trip. The capitanos can tell you ahead of time, what to expect. I would recommend making reservations ahead of time on the internet or by phone. For a lesser amount of money, you can probably take a 2 - 4 hour 1/2 day trip to somewhere in close and catch enough trigger fish and cabrilla to cook up a tasty meal. I think most of them will fillet your fish for you. You can bring your own gear, or use the heavy duty old stuff they all have. Some of the newer, nicer boats have pretty good new gear. It's good manners to give the capitano a small gratuity at the end of the trip. You'll be taking a minor chance sometimes, but you're taking a chance you'll get skunked every time you go fishing. I've never been skunked at Rocky Point, but maybe I'm just lucky. I hope you have a good time. I always do.

Jeff

jshetric said:
Which Spring Break?

ASU is March 8-15 and U of A March 16-20.

We are purposefully trying to avoid Spring Break.
My bad. I just figured usually the whole month of March is Spring Break.

J

jshetric

Thanks Bahiatrader. That is exactly the type of advise I am looking for.

Jeff, no problem about Spring Break. I just got nervous that we made a miscalculation.

don

Hi, and Welcome!
You might want to look at this topic, several lines down. Need a fishing charter for Friday, January 30th--NO PANGAS!

I've caught snappers several miles offshore trolling, but it may have been a fluke. Contact Ric, Rick Hammer, Stu, DM for more specific info. All those guys are Good!

NAU's spring break is 16 thru the 20th as well.

When does RP host a skydiving show? I thought it was around the end of March.

Don :boat:

B

bahiatrader

Rocky Point is generally pretty busy through the entire month of March. You would do well to make your reservations ahead of time. I don't know if any of the charter services in Rocky Point have a "No Show" fee. A lot of the charter and outfitter/guide services in the Pacific Northwest do. I've gone on a lot of pretty nice fishing trips that were paid for ahead of time by "No Shows". There's lots of things to do and see in and around Rocky Point besides fish. The joints are really hopping at night during the weekends. Make reservations well ahead of time to avoid any last minute running around. I hope your trip lives up to your expectations.