Fishing Report - 08/30/2014

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Well, better late than never, right?

Went down with mi amigos Audi and Dennis last Thursday to visit the sauna known at this time of year as Puerto Penasco. No issues going down or coming back. We fished Fri. and Sat. on Audi's boat, El Gato Blanco. My boat is currently resting comfortably in Tempe after having a tree crash down on it during a monsoon storm a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, no major damage.

What in the hell is up with the gas prices?????? About $4.00 a gallon on average. Wow! I pity the locals paying this everyday. Bad news filling up a boat!

We heard that the halibut were starting to show up at the 51, so that was Friday's adventure. Very flat with virtually no breeze on Friday and the humidity was so heavy, it was like a haze limiting visibility to a couple 0f miles on the water. On our first drop at the 51, all three of us hooked up instantly on halibut. Headshakers that they are, we managed to get one in the boat. That was total psych, so we spent the next couple hours doing similar drifts catching nothing. Finally ended up with one more nice size halibut, but no other takers at the 51, not even gold-spot. We speculated that the halibut are just starting to come in and we were lucky to have dropped right on them on the first drop. Other boats before and after us had the same basic results - onesy, twosey, but no big numbers for anyone yet. We hit the 43 on the way back in and piled on a bunch of always-willing-to-bite gold spotted bass, making it back into the harbor just as the sun dropped below the horizon.

Saturday was a bit more breezy and we went north to try a little grouper hunting. Loaded up with lots of nice big corvina and nice corbina, but only caught one little grouper guy - a baqueta (Gulf Coney, actually) and we took his picture and sent him back down to grow up.

Miserably hot both days, a real sweat factory. Looking forward to cooler weather! C'mon fall!

Kelney

I did a trip Labor Day 2013 with no breeze and it was down right painful. Especially sucks when the fish don't want to cooperate. Glad to hear of a recent report though!

By the way, what is the difference between a corvina and a corbina?

Kenny

I did a trip Labor Day 2013 with no breeze and it was down right painful. Especially sucks when the fish don't want to cooperate. Glad to hear of a recent report though!

By the way, what is the difference between a corvina and a corbina?
Corbina are bottom feeders for the most part and in the Croaker family as is the Corvina but they look a lot different than a Corvina, especially the mouth.

Last edited:

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Thanks, Kenny. Yes, true. People hear both names and confuse them, but corvina (sea trout) have big mouths, generally yellow or orange inside, with two smallish fangs on the top lip, while corbina's mouth's are much smaller and on the bottom of their face for bottom feeding. I should have taken some pictures because several of the corbina we caught had very interesting mottled color patterns - mostly white-ish with some black areas on their heads and face. I thought the first one might be mutant, but landed two others with the same similar color pattern. Hadn't seen that color pattern before.

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Yes, true. People hear both names and confuse them, but corvina (sea trout) have big mouths, generally yellow or orange inside, with two smallish fangs on the top lip, while corbina's mouth's are much smaller and on the bottom of their face for bottom feeding. I should have taken some pictures because several of the corbina we caught had very interesting mottled color patterns - mostly white-ish with some black areas on their heads and face. I thought the first one might be mutant, but landed two others with the same similar color pattern. Hadn't seen that color pattern before.
Welcome.. I've caught all of my Corbina both in Cali and PP close to shore as the like the tide movement or the turbulence of waves to stir up food, where did you catch yours and how deep?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We were fishing some holes north by the 22 mile reef, about 150 ft. deep. The corbina were intermixed with the corvina and were feeding on small crabs (some crabs got spit out on the deck). One drop, you'd get a corvina, next drop a corbina. Didn't seem to be any end to them, big schools. We released all the smaller models, kept only limits of the really nice size fish.