Fishing Report - 12/10/2016

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Fished with Audi on his boat this weekend. Bait is aplenty right now just outside the harbor. Mackerels (with some horse sardines running with them) everywhere, just watch where the birds are and you can sabiki a full bait tank in no time. We didn't get any bonefish, though.

We ran out to the 40 after making bait, but it was pretty dead, even with nice live wigglers. I got bit off clean on my first drop after a big strike, cut the braided line like butter. Shark. After making a number of passes, out to the 51. First drop there put a nice halibut in the boat. But, repeated multiple passes resulted in nothing but a few chewed up mackerels. We moved to one more spot out that way and first drop put a white seabass in the boat, followed by a half-dozen or so nice fat goldspots. A lot of fishing, just not a lot of catching. Other boats did about the same.

Jeff on Just Hammered managed one small black seabass and lost a beautiful red snapper to the lobos. It was funny, because I could see they had a fish on and turned to the guys on our boat and said "That sea lion over by them is going to steal that fish!" Yup, I just had to laugh when I heard the screams of frustration! They also hooked a mako, which broke off and got pissed with the weight hanging out of its face and was doing turbo missile launches around their boat into the air trying to shake it. Sorry, Jeff... not making fun of you, have had the same thing happen on my boat many times!! Jeff was going back out Sunday, so hopefully, he had better luck.

One other boat went west and they only managed one sardinero and one white seabass.

Weather was good, but a fast drift on Saturday. Water was very flat on Sunday. Just another beautiful weekend on the lovely Sea of Cortez!

Last edited:

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Kill,

Ever read a book.........without cartoons?

You dumb assed didler.

Go back to the rat hole you hail from as we have no interest in your input here.

JJ

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
I'll find ya a pic. I have a bunch. Basically a deeperwater bass, run to about 12 pounds, great eating! Common catch for our area. They are piglets and hit anything. They can be so thick at times you can't catch anything else. They glom your bait the second it hits the bottom.

Gump

Daddy Butterbean
I'll find ya a pic. I have a bunch. Basically a deeperwater bass, run to about 12 pounds, great eating! Common catch for our area. They are piglets and hit anything. They can be so thick at times you can't catch anything else. They glom your bait the second it hits the bottom.
Where is your fishing hole stuart? They sound like red snapper out of venice, la. Sometimes you cannot get the bait past em.

audsley

Well Known Member
Just finished Googling ciguetera, which I'd never heard of before. Wonderful. Another thing to worry about.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Thanks, loud music.

Have y'all had any cases of ciguetera from the SOC? In grouper or snapper?
Fortunately, never heard of any cases or cig warnings in the Sea of Cortez fish. We don't have coral reefs and aren't all that "tropical,", which is where cig prevails. Possibly could occur, but people would be more likely to blame it on eating a bad street taco! :D

The only truly toxic fish we have are puffers, which have neurotoxins that can kill you if not cleaned properly. Think Homer Simpson and "fugu." They sell them in the fish markets as "chickenfish" because they leave the tail in place and they look like a chicken drumstick. Then we have a few that are outwardly toxic if you get jabbed or step on one -- sculpins, scorpionfish, and stonefish. All safe to eat though, just venomous spines if you get stuck by one.

Heck, I was scaling a big huachinango (our red snappers, similar to pargo) for the grill and accidentally hit a dorsal spine under my thumb fingernail. That thumb swelled up and was sore for months!

Last edited:

rhurley999

I also got out on the water in my kayak on 12/10. It was a beautiful day, nice and warm little to no wind, clear waters. I hit the reef in front of Tesoro on the Las Conchas side of the Estero. Caught my fill of sand bass in the morning. Ventured over to the other side of the estuary and picked up a small flounder and good sized trigger. Went out deeper (about 40-50 feet of water at high tide) and didn't catch anything. Still learning how to read my first fishfinder so wasn't really sure if I was over structure or not but there was one other boat out there that assured me we were (he wasn't catching anything either though). As the tide started to recede i went back to the reef where I started the day at and slayed 'em again. lots of good sized sand bass and triggers and my first groupers (gulf I think) and barred pargo! The pargo was good sized and really made my day. He hit hard and immediately lodged himself under a rock for a good 2-3 minutes. I was able swing the kayak around and drag him out of the hole. No pics unfortunately as I'm not willing to risk losing my phone for glory :) Looking into adding a go-pro to the font of the kayak though.

Last edited:

JoseAz

Well Known Member
I also got out on the water in my kayak on 12/10. It was a beautiful day, nice and warm little to no wind, clear waters. I hit the reef in front of Tesoro on the Las Conchas side of the Estero. Caught my fill of sand bass in the morning. Ventured over to the other side of the estuary and picked up a small flounder and good sized trigger. Went out deeper (about 40-50 feet of water at high tide) and didn't catch anything. Still learning how to read my first fishfinder so wasn't really sure if I was over structure or not but there was one other boat out there that assured me we were (he wasn't catching anything either though). As the tide started to recede i went back to the reef where I started the day at and slayed 'em again. lots of good sized sand bass and triggers and my first groupers (gulf I think) and barred pargo! The pargo was good sized and really made my day. He hit hard and immediately lodged himself under a rock for a good 2-3 minutes. I was able swing the kayak around and drag him out of the hole. No pics unfortunately as I'm not willing to risk losing my phone for glory :) Looking into adding a go-pro to the font of the kayak though.
What were you using? bait or lures?

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
205 talks about hi tele and not want to take it out. There is a web site called aliexpress.com that has knock off GoPro cameras CHEAP