Flying into RP

kazpilot25

OK... So I am a private pilot with a twin engine airplane flying out of Deer Valley in Phoenix and was wondering if anyone else here is a pilot or has experience flying into mexico or RP? I have looked into it and it seems as if there is quite a bit of paperwork involved, but maybe it's just intimidating the first time going international.

I am going down for my birthday in the middle of may and would love to make the flight.

PC12PILOT

I think I can help you out with this. I fly 2 PC-12’s out of DVT, and fly to MMPE all the time. If you are planning to fly down in mid may, and don’t have a CBP account you need to start Now.
Two good resources are the AOPA and Baja Bush pilots, both can walk you through steps. Or you can email your number to me and I will help you out.

Greg

kazpilot25

Thanks Greg! I will check out those resources and see what I can find. How do you like the new airport down there? How are the services (fuel, etc.)?

PC12PILOT

I like the new airport much better then the old one. Mostly for the ramp space, I have had trouble parking a Pilatus at the old airport because the ramp was so small. The runway is very nice except for the markings, very hard to see, also runway 36 you can get LLWS. We never buy fuel at MMPE but fuel is available. Same staff as the old airport, very nice people and they like there tips(paper work gets done faster) As for paper work get a three ring binder with some clear sleeves, one for each item I.E. pilot, aircraft, Mexico, CBP, insurance, you get the point. Make two copies of every thing and put it in the binder. That way when you see the Comandante everything will be organized and he won’t need to make copies.

The airport is VFR only at this time. Services are good, the Army will meet you at the plane and ask you where you are coming from and how many passengers you have. After you are done with the Army, two girls with hand trucks will come out to help with your bags(tips) After that it’s all paperwork and paying the bills. Bring cash 20’s 10,s and five’s they will not have change most of the time and do not take credit cards yet. The drive into town is about 30 Minutes.

Hopefully this helps you out a little. Also what are you driving?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
If you need anything once you land give me a call and I can help you out, I know nothing about flying but I know a lot about the town.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Side comment, but there was a large group from a US pilot's club that flew in last year. Members said they had been flying into Baja as a group but told a friend at the Mayan where many stayed, that they liked the trip to Penasco better. At that time I had read some glowing comments from those who attended on another message board. Anyone else remember anything about it?

PitiquitoRosy

Well Known Member
Side comment, but there was a large group from a US pilot's club that flew in last year. Members said they had been flying into Baja as a group but told a friend at the Mayan where many stayed, that they liked the trip to Penasco better. At that time I had read some glowing comments from those who attended on another message board. Anyone else remember anything about it?
Those were the Baja Bush Pilots. I think they're coming back this year. Like Russ, I know nothing about flying but am available if needed. The airport administrator and the comandante are both nice guys who speak English fluently and they will help you out if they can. Let me know if you need any contact information.

kazpilot25

PC12PILOT - I will definitely do the 3 ring binder thing. Sounds like a great idea. Everything seems pretty clear to get in order except for the insurance. What do I need as far as the insurance goes? Do I need a separate mexico policy like auto insurance? I will be flying a PA34200T (Seneca II) Down. Just got multi rated and looking forward to the flight!

mexicoruss - Thanks for the offer of help. I will definitely let you know if I need anything. Maybe we could all get together for a lunch or dinner that weekend? I've been going down since I was about 3 (24 now) but have never flown down.

PitiquitRosy - Also, thank you for your availability for help as well. I have found the people on this board extremely helpful and friendly. Thank you all.

One last thing, does anyone know about if there are any taxi's at the airport or do we need to call ahead to have one waiting?

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Last time I was down there they had 3 taxi cars park designated for the airport and it was in th middle of the week, so for the weekend I am sure that they will have them since those are the days with higher traffic.