Fourth of July 2012

Kschoon

Is this an election year and are there elections this year over the 4th in Rocky Point? I ask because a few years back some friends of our visited and over the weekend they could not purchase an Beer locally. They also had what they were bringing with them taken at the border. Made for a long weekend on the beach without a few cold ones, lol. Just wondering as we will be enjoying a nice rental in Playa Encanto that week.

Thanks!!

Kschoon

Hmm, so does that mean you cannot bring alcohol in with you or you cannot purchase it there during those dates?

mis2810

I've always gone in prior to the start of the "dry" dates and bought extra to last through the weekend, so I'm not sure about bringing it in. But you definitely will not be able to buy any down there between the 29th and the 2nd. Not sure of exactly the "hours" of when it starts, though.

Kschoon

Thanks for your responses. Friends of mine that came a couple of elections ago had their beer confiscated on the way in. Not sure if it was at the border crossing or on the way into town. The interesting thing was that they only took beer, left them their hard alcohol....

TICO-T

It is not against Mexican law to drink alcohol during the election weekend. It's against the law to sell or purchase alcohol during this time. Surprised they took your beer at the border. Next time get the green light.

Election alcohol sales hours.
Got this from one of the owners of JJ's. They will be closing on Friday night at 12 until Monday 8 AM July 2nd. I am sure it is the same everywhere else.
And sadly during July thru Sept, JJ's will be closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays again.

Back for a few minutes....BooBar is open that weekend....anyone know which other establishments will be? Sadly, I won't be down, but someone I work with will be there that weekend (Jul 1-2) with his family.

Not that you heard it from me (nudge-nudge, wink-wink), but what we did last year was order either a diet coke or sprite or VIRGIN margs, etc., then we'd have a nondescript runners type plastic reusable water bottle (colored, not clear), and then after the waiter was gone, we'd spike our drinks with whatever. We kept one in my friend's purse and one in my tote, which had my iPad or whatever to look like it was a legit bag I needed to carry around.

At each place we were at, we didn't try to make it obvious, we made sure other customers couldn't figure out what we were doing, but the staff probably knew. It was sort of a "don't ask don't tell" policy. But everything was pretty empty and we were tipping well, so it all worked out. It was kinda' heart-breaking to see them turn away group after group of booze-seeking tourists away.

The scene at the Super Ley on the Friday before it closed was a madhouse! Make sure you get there before the shelves are empty, but really, there's not much of a reason to bring a ton of beer down from the U.S., don't risk the chance you'll get a greedy border guard. What is it, like a six-pack per adult? And if you've got one of "those" people on your trip, you can pretty much buy any American beer down there at the Circle K or whatever.

Last edited:
While I'm on that topic, I just realized some of you may be coming down after work on Friday, so getting to Penasco by 10pm or 11pm (when exactly does Super Ley or the Bodega/Walmart close?) may not be in the cards. If so, I suggest buying beer as soon as you cross the border in Sonoyta, an OXXO or the Circle K as you make it to the "Y" where the Caborca turn off is. They're open all night and, again, if US beer is your thing, that would be your best bet.

Kschoon

Problem for us is that we're coming in on Saturday morning, so we'll have to either bring it and take our chances or try to find someone who can purchase it for us ahead of time I guess....

My friends will be bummed, since they're coming down on Sat.....may have to get someone I know who lives down there to buy some beer for them in advance!