Fundraising idea

The cookbook is a fantastic idea, but I have another one............if Mark thinks there is a slim chance we could do it. Almost everyone has been to or heard of art's and craft's sales that go on all over towns around the holidays. The concept would be the same. I don't know how many people we could get involved, but if Mark thinks it would work, would anyone be interested in doing something like this?? I have a lot of idea's, but don't want to go any further if there's not enough interest. What do you all think?? (The main goal would be to have people from the community, or anywhere in Penasco, make things that could be sold.............I'm sure there's a lot of hidden talent out there (and here), but they would need a lot of donations). I just thought of something else............a bake sale to go along with it!!

The cookbook is a fantastic idea, but I have another one............if Mark thinks there is a slim chance we could do it. Almost everyone has been to or heard of art's and craft's sales that go on all over towns around the holidays. The concept would be the same. I don't know how many people we could get involved, but if Mark thinks it would work, would anyone be interested in doing something like this?? I have a lot of idea's, but don't want to go any further if there's not enough interest. What do you all think?? (The main goal would be to have people from the community, or anywhere in Penasco, make things that could be sold.............I'm sure there's a lot of hidden talent out there (and here), but they would need a lot of donations). I just thought of something else............a bake sale to go along with it!!
Julie... I know it would work... Barb is the one you should talk to about this, I'm not the crafty kind of guy... she has already done an Art's and Crafts fair several years ago and it was a big success, it was held in the courtyard at the Playa Inn... There were quite a few of the local artists involved with it...

Wow, that is some really cool stuff...............thanks Russ. Of course, that's a little more intricate than I had in mind but stuff like that would work!! What I was looking at more was having the people of the community make things themselves, with donations of materials that might be needed. Of course, anyone and everyone could sell what they make (or whatever the case may be). Who doesn't love to purchase homemade things made by real people from places they go..........not things that are manufactured!! They make fantastic gifts too!! I have been wanting to start making God's Eyes again, so this would give me a good reason, really, to do it!!

Mark, that would be so awesome!!!!!!!!! It just thought about the bike rally in November and Thanksgiving......both might be a good time to do this if we can pull it off?? I'll get with Barb about it if she thinks it would work!!!

I spoke with Barb just a bit ago, and she is all for it!! But..............

First, the community center is in dire need of money and food right now (as I'm sure they all are, but like Barb and Mark said "one step at a time"....). Therefore, she's going to organize a "Rubber Ducky Race" to take place (probably) August 7th. When she explained how this works, I just thought it sounded like a lot of fun!! For those of you not familiar, you "purchase" a ducky.... or two or three..... They are then dropped in the sea from a boat as the tide is coming in. When they wash up on shore, who ever has the ducky that lands first, wins and so on................. Is that about right Mark?? The cool thing about this is that you can purchase the ducks through PayPal. And, of course, Mark will make a video of the whole thing so that people that can't make it to the beach that day can watch it!!! Prizes are given away also!! I believe Barb said she has about 1,000 ducks???? The last time they did this, it was successful...........let's make this one even more successful!!!

Second, we'd like to organize something over Labor Day weekend to raise money as well. Barb suggested a boat trip to Bird Island, but we're open to suggestions...........

Now, to the arts and crafts fair. Barb is going to get a hold of Blanca, the director of the center, and get her really involved.....she can "get in" places Barb can't, LOL!! This will take place October 16th. The one that Barb did seven or eight years ago was held in the courtyard at the Playa Inn, but the location for this one is something her and Blanca will decide on. The ideal thing would be to make it like a "fall festival" or "street fair" type of affair. People (anyone!) can rent a booth and sell whatever they'd like and we'd like to do things like a cake walk or musical chairs or bob for apples or face painting...... for the kids (and the young at heart kids as well)!! I'd really like to encourage the people of the community to make things to sell, but they need donations. I'm referring to, right now anyway, anything "artsy craftsy". I live in Tucson (well, just outside actually) and would be more than happy to pick up anything that anyone here has to donate. We will be going down August 6th and would like to take as much as our little car can hold!!!! Since this isn't Mark's "cup of tea" and Barb's busy with the business and organization, please contact me at [email protected] or through here. And remember everyone.........just couple of cans of food here and there or clothing or whatever makes a big difference. Try to bring something every time you come!!

More details to come as we plan everything..............and I didn't mean to take the limelight away from the cookbook. It's such a great idea (especially since I love to cook and try new recipes!), but I'm not even close to being computer literate, so I can't really help out there. I would love to submit recipes and certainly would volunteer to be a taste-tester if need be, LOL!!

I spoke with Barb just a bit ago, and she is all for it!! But..............

hi again,
i will donate all the crafts i can make in the period of time provided. have a few lady friends that may donate pies......(pumpkin cheese cake being one of my favs.)....will soon be leaving PP for the summer.
and will continue to watch this and post any questions i may have. :)

I am not at all good at crafts......but the bake sale part sounds great. My wife make really good chocolate chip cookies and brownies :chef:....(no not those kind of brownies) :wink:
Plus.....it just gives me another reason to travel to the happiest place on earth

Last edited: