Gluten Free in Puerto Penasco

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
as to not high jack any other thread about vegan or meat I do not want to break any rules or offend anyone so here is a specific thread for us GFer's :)
Kea asked about GF in Rocky Point I believe , Kea do you have Celiac's disease or chose to eat GF? That makes a big difference I believe in your options. I (thank God) do not have Celiac's, I feel like poo and get sick with sinus infections, asthma, ear infections, and even bronchitis when I eat it, or at least enough of it, I have a sensitivity as if I had Celiac's it would also effect my stomach, even joints if I got the smallest amount. So far I've noticed , read, and heard from others that the food in Mexico is more natural anyway and may not contain the gmo , chemicals, hormones or at least not to the level in the States. For example if I have a flour tortilla in Rocky Point and take some decongestants I can prevent myself from getting sick, don't get headaches and fatigue like I would if I had one in the States. I can ask restaurants to modify my food (using corn tortilla chips, corn tortillas, lettuce, etc ) and they usually are more than happy to help (I've even ordered a burger at Lattitudes but brought my own GF bun and they buttered it up and used the one I brought. (I bought them in the states , so I haven't seen GF bread yet in R.P. So I will be so grateful if someone knows if and where they may be in R.P.) if you have Celiac's though you already know it's not that simple due to possible cross contamination in the kitchen from a non GF kitchen.

BeachyKeen

Well Known Member
if you do have Celiac's I would also ask some chefs there if they A. Have or can get GF ingredients B. If they do , let you know where they get it from C. If given notice ahead of time would they be willing to make you a meal , you may want to offer an extra propina / tip for them having to go a little more above and beyond if you make it clear & you are on the same understanding that if you have Celiac's they would have to clean and prepare their kitchen could make a GF dish
For those of us who,chose to eat GF or have a sensativity instead of a super dangerous allergy we could do the above also (I would still offer to pay more if it were made separately for me) but we wouldn't have to request they clean their kitchen in the same way the Celiac's peeps would need it cleaned.
If you know anyone that comes and goes to and from the States or you do, & you can't find any GF flour in R.P. I would buy quite a few boxes of King Aurthers (closest GF flour to regular flour) or whatever one you prefer. You can keep them in the freezer to make them last even longer. Thank goodness also that lots of Mexican foods are already GF except some sauces they may thicken with flour & flour tortillas, anything coated in flour (chile rellanos :(, our chef for our wedding in R.P. Is making ours with GF flour upon our request :D)
The baker that we have for our wedding (if anyone wants her info I will ask our wedding planner) is doing part of our cake GF so I'm sure she would make anyone some goodies upon request, she does have the ingredients or knows where to get them already and her stuff is AMAZING!
I guess we have to get a little creative and work a little harder but it's doable. I wish the vegans the best of luck as eating GF is already a bit challenging to me (by the way everything delicious has gluten HaHaHa:p) so I can't imagine trying to eat vegan anywhere U.S. Or Mexico. But to each our own as Im so happy if people can find a diet that makes them healthy and happy, it's just a fine line to be thankful when you can find places or people that can accommodate (hopefully it will get easier as time goes on and demand may increase) and being dissatisfied when people can't cater.
Sorry that was long winded, like I said I don't want to be a rude forum poster, this is my first and only social media thing so Im learning but I am definitely always thankful for help and responses and I try not to get too offended as I've seen but this is also for good and fun hopefully we can all agree on that.
Happy eating to all no matter what floats your boat!

Kea

Well Known Member
Hi Beachy. I appreciate your response in a new thread. I debated about starting a new thread myself, but didn't.

I'm not GF, but I have a good friend who is. She came to visit us last year & probably (hopefully) will again this year. No, she doesn't have Cilieac's, but, like you, feels much better when she avoids gluten.

When she visited last year, she flew in to Phoenix & we stocked up on bread, pizza crusts, coconut flour and a few other things before heading to Peñasco. If she ends up taking a direct flight next time (since that could be a real option!), we wouldn't get the Phoenix shopping opportunity.

Last year, she did enjoy her GF pasta meal at Pane e Vino & Capones did make her a pizza using the crust she provided. She's been GF for a couple of years, so she's pretty good about knowing what foods to avoid.

But, if I had a better idea what I could get locally, that would be fewer things to purchase in AZ & bring with us. I would be interested in the info for your caterer. Don't need catering, but I would love to be able to provide yummy desserts for my friend. (Last year, we used the coconut flour to make brownies following a recipe I found online. Even though the recipe specifically called for coconut flour, the brownies were horrible! Makes me leery of trying again.)

No worries about being "long winded." I've been accused of that myself, from time to time!

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
[QUOTE=" . . . I wish the vegans the best of luck as eating GF is already a bit challenging to me (by the way everything delicious has gluten HaHaHa:p) so I can't imagine trying to eat vegan anywhere U.S. Or Mexico. But to each our own as Im so happy if people can find a diet that makes them healthy and happy . . . [/QUOTE]
Even as a vegan, I also have been cutting out gluten . . . in fact even gluten-free processed substitutes. Not difficult . . . just a matter of discovery of alternatives. (See Wheat Belly Total Health by Dr. William Davis -- by no means vegan.) And taste buds can be retrained from their cravings for excess salt, sugar, etc. So it is not merely about learning to live with different foods but rather, discovering them.

Last edited:

Christi

Ya, there is nothing gf in the grocery stores here. No baking items, no pancake mixes, very few nut milk choices. I will HAVE to seriously stock up prior to visiting again or moving here. That is for sure.

Kea

Well Known Member
Healthy Point opened in Peñasco a few months ago. They carry some GF options & other healthy foods.

Old55

Well Known Member
A week of grilled fish and salad with a fish curry thrown it and you will feel pretty good
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Ingredients (Fish Curry):
  • 2 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 8 to 10 curry leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste
  • 2 small green chillies, slitted
  • 1 medium red onion, grated
  • 2 small tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 heaping tablespoons fish curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoon tamarind (paste or soaked)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 cup water

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hindoo love potion number nine.

Don't get more than five feet from the crapper for at least a week!

JJ