Going to RP for first time in a long time. Advice?

B

Beachbum

Greetings Everyone!

The wife and I are taking our first trip to RP together and I myself haven't been there in about 10 years. Just asking for any advice anyone can give me on jsut about anything. Were going down on July 5th(Saturday) and returning July 8th (Tuesday). Renting a condo at Las Palomas.

Guess Im just asking what to expect on the drive down (Police, Donation stops ect...) and if anyone has info on Las Palomas. The guy were renting it from said they are not in the rental pool and hes assured me the "extra" charges are in the rental price.

We usually take off to California but since we live in Phoenix I have decided to check out RP and hopefully make it a regular vacation spot since its closer and cheaper. I had alot of fun in my younger days down there but in my younger days I was single and chasing the bikinis. This is gonna be a little different:)

THX

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
I just went down there the other day and stayed at the same place.

The last two times I've been there, they haven't asked for donations, not sure what's with that.

They only stop you at the border going down, give you the red/green light.

I love that condo, never had a problem with it... The only thing that could be changed is they kick everyone out of the pool at 10pm so you gotta jump in the ocean. However if you like to sleep earlier, it's nice because it's usually quiet at 10

B

Beachbum

On the donations I just remember 2 times way back when they had a blockade "Think it was Red Cross" and donation was pretty much manditory. Not a big deal. I dont mind pitchin in a few bucks here and there to a worthy cause. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks for the input on the resort. Lookin forward to gettin down there and chillin out. What was the atmosphere and crowd like at the resort? Younger? Older? Mellow? Beach Bash? Also were in Phase II if theres a difference?

THX

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
Beachbum said:
On the donations I just remember 2 times way back when they had a blockade "Think it was Red Cross" and donation was pretty much manditory. Not a big deal. I dont mind pitchin in a few bucks here and there to a worthy cause. Just wondering what to expect. Thanks for the input on the resort. Lookin forward to gettin down there and chillin out. What was the atmosphere and crowd like at the resort? Younger? Older? Mellow? Beach Bash? Also were in Phase II if theres a difference?

THX
There's a mix, around the pools there's family, while in the poolside bars, its usually younger crowd.

Phase II isn't much different, the pool is a little less busy but that's pretty much it, imo.

B

Beachbum

Thanks for the info. Really helps. Hope ya dont mind all the questions. Its just been a long time and I want to have a somewhat gameplan when we get there. Heres a few more.

How close is Las Palomas to the fish market and is parking easy over there or do they have a taxi service that will run us back and forth so we can drink? I remember that place to be pretty cool.

Are there any of those group fishing boat outings near Las Palomas?

Can ya think of anything else for a mid 30's couple that we should definatly check out? We're the average hang out by the pool drinking margaritas and beer on the weekend types.

Basically Im trying to plan something xtra for the wife and I to do while there.

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
It's maybe 10 minutes away from the fish market, you can drive or take a taxi. They have underground parking at Las Palomas and a security guard checkpoint when you get in, so your car is safe there.

There's taxis you can call, I dont know how much is it but its not expensive.

Fishing boats, not sure... I think you might need to go into town (fish market) for that. They rent jetski's at Las Palomas but I've never seen any fishing boats there.

You sound a lot like me... Me and my wife like to just relax and hang out in the pool. You picked a good resort, hopefully you'll have good weather, eat lots of good food and enjoy yourself. Just remember -- DONT TRY TO PASS CARS IN A NO-PASSING ZONE! (If you read the other threads, there was a car that did that the other weekend when we were down there, hit another car, head on, and they died.... )

B

bahiatrader

The Cruz Roha (Red Cross) donation is definitely not mandatory, but they're a good outfit. They're very professional. Besides seeing the good work they do, I've had my own experience. They hauled me from halfway between Sonoyta and Rocky Point to the border where I could be transferred to a US ambulance. When I contacted them later I was told there was no charge, but a donation would be OK. I always stop and give them something. Sometimes they stop traffic for donations in Rocky Point too. It'll give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

C

cactusamigo

The Mexican Red Cross is mostly occupied with providing aid to tourists, so it doesn't hurt to drop some coins into the collection can. Sometimes the volunteer fire department is also out in the road collecting money. You will always be politely thanked for whatever your gift.

Be sure to pay attention to and abide by the speed limits, and other traffic regulations. They are being rigidly enforced. Rocky Point has recently been flooded with State Judicial Police who redundantly enforce the traffic laws in town along with the local police. Tourist traffic has been light, so they are all hungry. Remember, should you happen to be stopped for a traffic infraction, insist on paying your fine at Police Headquarters. Doing so will help fight corruption, and make it easier for all of us. My wife was recently stopped by the State Judicial Police after making a left turn on a green light from the Benito Juarez onto Calle 13. Our car was instantly surrounded by about six officers who jumped out of their pickup truck. Our car had Arizona plates, so they probably thought they had easy pickings for a quick shakedown. They claimed that there was a sign that you could make a left turn only with a green arrow, which there wasn't. They picked off more than they could chew with my wife being a feisty Mexican citizen with roots in Penasco!

F

FIESTAFROG

Baja, I hear ya about the red cross. Great people and have helped out friends of mine. Cactus. I agree with you about insisting on going to the police station except for one small problem. I was pulled over for a u-turn on a sand street by my house and said I wanted to go to the police station instead of giving him the $40 he wanted. He said "fine, i'll plant drugs on you" I gave him the $40

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
FIESTAFROG said:
Baja, I hear ya about the red cross. Great people and have helped out friends of mine. Cactus. I agree with you about insisting on going to the police station except for one small problem. I was pulled over for a u-turn on a sand street by my house and said I wanted to go to the police station instead of giving him the $40 he wanted. He said "fine, i'll plant drugs on you" I gave him the $40
I hope you are kidding... :shock:

tyler said:
FIESTAFROG said:
I hope you are kidding... :shock:
I've been hearing about the increasing shenanigans of the local police the last few weeks....just hope that it's exaggerated!

BTW....isn't the Mexican election the weekend around July 4th? If it is, they shut down all liquor sales and bars at midnight on Saturday.....senility is kicking in....don't remember now when those elections are!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

B

Beachbum

Need another suggestion. If we decide to stay longer whats a good place to grab another night from? Doesn't need to be resort type or anything. Just friendly and close to the beach. Any quick suggestions in case we decide to stay another night where we can just walk up a get a room? THX

A

azbeachboy

Beachbum,
This was from a thread on our forum...
Motel Senorial on Calle 13

FIESTAFROG Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 am

Before buying in RP, I always stayed at the Baja. Mike runs a good place there. And the swim up bar is great!

And its cheap

Terry C Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:10 am

Stay at the Motel Terry C.

Ladyjeeper Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 am

The Motel Terry C? I'm almost afraid to ask!

Jim Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am

I have always like the Vina Del Mar at the Malecon. It is an older place, but it is comfortable and the prices are decent. I have friends who have visited from Texas 2 times a year for the last 10 years and they have pretty much settled in there.

Ladyjeeper Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:37 pm

I have friends that stayed at the Baja and really liked it, especially the pool. I've never been on the property despite having been next to it since it was built! I've stayed in the Senorial in the early 80's. I see they have remodeled it some. I thought the Vina was rundown the last time someone told me about it. But, that has been a few years ago and they must have remodeled by now.
Thanks for all your input!
Chari

rockyptjoe Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Check out the Playa Inn...it used to be part of the Best Western chain, or the motel next to the Bumaye Club. Also, Desert Oasis has expanded the hotel/motel section.

Dezracer Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 pm

Playa Inn - Dirty and roach infested

Desert Oasis - Ok...clean, new but now where near to anything especially the beach

For a cheap nice place and close to the beach, I would recommend Laos Mar, next to Playa Bonita.

rockyptjoe Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:25 pm

Dezracer...the last time I checked, Laos Mar was cheaper then the Playa Bonita Hotel, but still not cheap.....unless they've dropped their price lately.

azbeachboy Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:30 pm

What about the Granada Del Mar. You are beach front and can walk the Mirador. THe big room on the bottom floor have kitchens and two queen size beds for $88.00 a night.

Dezracer Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:57 pm

rockyptjoe wrote:
Dezracer...the last time I checked, Laos Mar was cheaper then the Playa Bonita Hotel, but still not cheap.....unless they've dropped their price lately.

Not sure what you define as cheap...but its $95 a nite.

Ladyjeeper Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:19 pm

Kitchens? Hmmnnnn, that might work! I have never been in there and wasn't sure if it was run down or not.
Thanks Chuck!

azbeachboy Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 pm

Ladyjeepers,
It's not run down but a bare basic room. They have a microwave and a refrigerator and a stove that might work. My friend never cook in the room. In the cool months the fireplace is nice. You have to bring your own pots and pans ect.
Upstairs is cheaper but you only have two beds and a bathroom.

Ladyjeeper Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:57 pm

Chuck, Is there a pool?

Kenny Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:08 pm

I've aways liked the Playa Inn and I've stayed there for most of my visits since the time they had only 22 rooms and no pool.. Stuart has stayed there for the same length of time and if Stuart is in PP you will find him at the Playa Inn without exception. I have never found it to be dirty or roach infested and they have good security as well.
I stayed at the Senorial when I made a quick trip down to fish with Ric and yes they have been remodeled but still small rooms and pool.The neighborhood has changed considerable as well.

The Granada Del Mar is a wonderful place right on the beach like Chuck said. We had Thanksgiving there two years ago and it was great!

Kenny

azbeachboy Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:57 pm

Yes,a big saltwater one that you can't see all the edges.

Ladyjeeper Post subject: Re: Motel recommendation?Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:28 pm

A negative edge saltwater pool! What will they think of next?

Display posts from previous: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year Sort by AuthorPost timeSubject AscendingDescending

Page 1 of 1
[ 18 posts ]

Board index » Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco Mexico » General