Gone Fishin'

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Hey Mark....any sightings of whales yet? In close, that is??? Deciding whether to bring down the jetskis and freeze my butt off!:rofl:

Hey Mark....any sightings of whales yet? In close, that is??? Deciding whether to bring down the jetskis and freeze my butt off!:rofl:
bundle up your butt Joe, if you bring them down you are more than welcome to use my 7 mil titanium wetsuit to go out...

we saw some fin whales about 20 miles out, the water was calm with a few rollers and it was very clear... we saw dozens of bait boils and hundreds of dolphins surrounding them...

Wahoo yes they were throw backs... every place we stopped and any thing we dropped they would hit like rock bass or triggers...

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
Thanks Mark....I've got wetsuits....it's the initial shock and retraction of certain body parts when I launch that I'm not crazy about!:rofl:

I've got the range on my jetskis (a good 80 miles if I'm not full throttle), but don't know if I want to go roaming around 20 miles out.....

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
For an endangered species, there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of them around this year. I've heard mumblings that they are going to allow them to be caught and kept again in the near future, but haven't seen anything "official" on that.

Kenny

Well Known Member
they worked as a team

For an endangered species, there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of them around this year. I've heard mumblings that they are going to allow them to be caught and kept again in the near future, but haven't seen anything "official" on that.
Ran into more than a few of them last year as well Stuart..Marks right, when those guy's are on the bite, they'll take most any kind of bait.
Last year I had a double on em with my medium sized rig, and man did I have my hands full. I think they knew each other well, because they worked as a team... I know..

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
We got into some 35+ lbs. ones this summer while fishing for grouper. They fight so hard, we thought we had grouper on... until we got them to the surface.

Pretty interesting thing about the totuava - they school up with fish their own size. If you hit a school of 10 pounders, they'll all be about that size. Hit a school of 35 pounders, same thing. It's a year/class thing; they seem to hang with the same group of fish that hatched the year they did.

The biggest one we've landed and released to date was several years ago a few miles out from the island. Close to a 60 pounder. Can you imagine the good old days when these fish regularly ran 200 pounds plus? You better be holdin' on tight to that pole!

We got into some 35+ lbs. ones this summer while fishing for grouper. They fight so hard, we thought we had grouper on... until we got them to the surface.

Pretty interesting thing about the totuava - they school up with fish their own size. If you hit a school of 10 pounders, they'll all be about that size. Hit a school of 35 pounders, same thing. It's a year/class thing; they seem to hang with the same group of fish that hatched the year they did.

The biggest one we've landed and released to date was several years ago a few miles out from the island. Close to a 60 pounder. Can you imagine the good old days when these fish regularly ran 200 pounds plus? You better be holdin' on tight to that pole!
That's an interesting fact about the size and who they hang with... I would love to dive down and video a school of 200 pounders, I think that would look awesome...

Kenny

Well Known Member
most of them will be.

That's an interesting fact about the size and who they hang with... I would love to dive down and video a school of 200 pounders, I think that would look awesome...
I've noticed the same thing with our shortfin Corvina that's in the same family (croaker, Weakfish) as the T bass. When you run into a school of Corvina, there usually all about the same size..If the first one you catch is of a pretty good size, most of them will be.

I've noticed the same thing with our shortfin Corvina that's in the same family (croaker, Weakfish) as the T bass. When you run into a school of Corvina, there usually all about the same size..If the first one you catch is of a pretty good size, most of them will be.
I agree Kenny I have seen schools of corvina and they are usually all the same size same with the lisa's aka mullet...

tyler

I like pie.
Staff member
[video=youtube;qNGZx_XZkUI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNGZx_XZkUI[/video]

Testing new feature....