Gray Whale beached and rescued in Penasco

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey whale watchers out there.............

You all might look at any field guide on marine mammals and determine in an instant that the animal in the video is NOT a Grey Whale.

The ignorance spouted here is like calling a Greyhound an English Bulldog.

The short squatty slow swimming Grey Whale of the Pacific Coast that as far as any scientific records reveal to date never is found in the Sea of Cortez.

The Grey Whale is easily identified by the permanent scars and living parasite load of specialized barnacles on the humped head and back. There is no dorsal fin. The pleats or grooves under the head number only two to five and only extend a few feet beyond the chin. They are grubbers that feed exclusively on muddy bottom dwelling clams, crabs etc. They have two blowholes that form a very distinct "V" or heart shaped blow.

The long slender Fin Whale known as the "Greyhound of the Sea" is one of the fastest swimming whales known. Their slick "V" shaped flat head and back with the distinct short dorsal fin and the 50 to 100 pleats that begin under the chin and continue to their navel are designed to swallow a thousand gallons of water along with hundreds of pounds of small fish, krill and an occasional sea bird. They have no permanent barnacles as their high speed swimming and slick skin prevents them from attachment. They have a single blowhole that produces a typical tall single shot blow.

Just stating the facts.

The whale in the video is the common Fin Whale.

JJ

CheddarBob

Well Known Member
This concludes our study’s for the day students. Please thank MR. JJ for his time. Lol. I knew it was fake no brand new front end loader around here for miles.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Can you imagine what that animals belly would look like after dragging it over those rocks and how deep the loader would have to get into the salt water to actually do it?

AZRob

Well Known Member
Can you imagine what that animals belly would look like after dragging it over those rocks and how deep the loader would have to get into the salt water to actually do it?
So the whale has been damaged and more than likely shark bait.

playaperro

El Pirata
Those fin whales are residents here they hang around Las Conchas year long, maybe M titled her thread without knowing but the tide did pick up and it’s running around again
Great post M, thanks for posting.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Marine Cetacea never "accidentally" beach themselves. Something drives them into doing it as in a physical injury, brain damage or just old age of the pod leader. Not to mention off shore wind generators now so popular in the lying media. Would you prefer to get butchered and eaten alive at sea by sharks and Orcas or wash up and die quickly on the beach from getting your lungs crushed by your own weight?

Also, that whale in the video was a juvenile that maybe lost it's mother and just gave up. You do know that an adult Fin Whale can reach more than eighty feet in length.

Zopilotes and Coyotes gotta eat too!

JJ

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
The post said it was a gray whale, which is why I posted that. Didn't look like it was because we just got back from Guerrero Negro, Baja Sur California and got a chance to pet them. But it was kind of hard to tell if it was actually a gray whale- just titled the article what was posted.

Last edited:

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
No big deal Miramar,

I thought the story had an ignorant fishy smell to it anyway. My first take was that the whale was grey like in the color and no one had a clue as to what species it actually was. Well the TV news chick was quite the hottie to be sure!

At CEDO last week they had a gull in a wire cage with a broken wing. I asked the science girl there what type of gull it was, she said a BROWN ONE! I told her that at least ten species of gulls can be seen around PP and the all of the juveniles like the one in the cage are spotted brown or grey for their first two or three years. I told her that based on the size of the bird that it was either a California Gull or a Herring Gull.

She then told me that maybe I should be giving the local Girl Scout troop the tour! They were a troop of three teenage girls and six or seven adults.

The sea turtle story is still in the making.

JJ