Great time in PP. Want to come back!

Rob

I had a great first time in PP in late February, and want to come back!

What is it like during Semana Santa (Apr 17-20)? I really liked how few college kids there were when I went in February. Nothing against college kids... and PP needs the income... just saying. I liked how peaceful it was.

RockyPointBeachBum

User is currently banned
December thru February is one of RP's best kept secrets, perfect weather, whales / dolphins everywhere, smaller crowds, etc...Its one of my favorite times to be there. My suggestion for Semana Santa roughly April 13-20 is to steer clear of RP unless you like HUGE crowds ( all rooms booked , bars packed , loud music all night, etc ) March thru July is pretty consistently packed in RP & also Oct / Nov.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Semana Santa is off the hook crazy, makes a 10 minute drive an hour and a half drive unless you like crowds I would not visit during Semana Santa

mis2810

Rob - you said originally you were going to eat yourself into oblivion - LOL. So which restaurants did you hit up and what did you like best?

Rob

Rob - you said originally you were going to eat yourself into oblivion - LOL. So which restaurants did you hit up and what did you like best?
I loved EVERYTHING! Rosy's, Tacos Poblanos, Marlin Azul, Combo Taco, Koffee House. That's actually all I got to try. I didn't even get to try Pollo Lucas. But we did get an insane amount of seafood from Gumez (Mr. Fish).

I loved EVERYTHING! Rosy's, Tacos Poblanos, Marlin Azul, Combo Taco, Koffee House. That's actually all I got to try. I didn't even get to try Pollo Lucas. But we did get an insane amount of seafood from Gumez (Mr. Fish).
You didn't make to Pollo Lucas? :eek:
Then I guess you have a good reason to go back soon. Never miss a trip to Lucas. Usually make it one of my first stops on the day we get there.

mis2810

Next time you have stop at Burros Longos Mimi also!

I spent Wednesday afternoon thru about noon Friday of Semana Santa in Puerto Penasco last year. I was glad I got to see what it looked like, and not displeased that I got out when I did. The Old Port was quite congested Wednesday and Thursday nights, and from what I understand, got worse over the weekend. Most of the bars and restaurants were closed because the Mexicans don't frequent them. There was street food everywhere, though.

It's probably worth at least getting exposed to it if you want the total Puerto Penasco experience, but if congestion and large crowds of partying Mexicans isn't your thing, either be in a position to depart or stay someplace where you can minimize your exposure.

El Gato

I spent Wednesday afternoon thru about noon Friday of Semana Santa in Puerto Penasco last year. I was glad I got to see what it looked like, and not displeased that I got out when I did. The Old Port was quite congested Wednesday and Thursday nights, and from what I understand, got worse over the weekend. Most of the bars and restaurants were closed because the Mexicans don't frequent them. There was street food everywhere, though.

It's probably worth at least getting exposed to it if you want the total Puerto Penasco experience, but if congestion and large crowds of partying Mexicans isn't your thing, either be in a position to depart or stay someplace where you can minimize your exposure.
We lived there full time - during Semana Santa we made sure we didn't have to go anyplace as traffic wild. At Bella it was almost all families. If you want to see how the Mexican's observe a holiday it is a wonderful experience. If you want peace and quiet you will hate it. The pools (4 of them) were full - all the bbqs in full use (Swim Bar doesn't didn't do a big business as they bring their own food and drinks - they also tend to use food vendors rather than going to restaurants/bars) - beaches have a lot of people (nothing like CA beaches but for Penasco a mob). And you have to enjoy music :) We would sit on the terrace and watch all the action - go for a walk and try holding conversations in our poor Spanish. Kids tended to be well behaved. It is much more a family party atmosphere than Spring Break. Also, Bella Sirena tends to draw more families, even at Spring Break, then college kids. Spring Break is a different type of madness :)

Rob

Looks like I'll be there the weekend of April 4th and Staying at the Sonoran Sky. I figure it's a week after Spring Break and a week before Semana Santa, so hopefully less insane. My friend may not be able to go, so this may be a solo trip. :-/

I certainly try Pollo Lucas this time.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
FYI -Although I cannot speak from experience I have often heard the term "Easter Week" as being very busy!
We just opted to stay away during that crazy busy time, but this is our choice.

Never again, it makes spring break of 1988-1998 look like a sweet 16 party.
But then again todays Spring Breakers are pretty tame compared to the past.
Yes it is that crazy and there are 1-2 hour waits to get to the Malecon, Comp. Hill.
I've done it 2x in the last 5 years and swore never again. 50,000 people is a whole lot of crazy.
As LJ said it is fun kind of nuts, so maybe?

Rob

Will it be just as crazy the weekend after Spring Break and the weekend before Semana Santa (April 4,5)? The hotels / condos certainly don't look all booked up.

Roberto

Will it be just as crazy the weekend after Spring Break and the weekend before Semana Santa (April 4,5)? The hotels / condos certainly don't look all booked up.
More typical that it is slower than average here after a big bash. No money, no vacation, hung over, etc.

Reactions: Rob