Hempcrete

jerry

Sort of down on ICF'S as Green Building systems but think SIP system with panels made of hemp with hemp insulation in the middle would be better than this lime heavy brew...

Kenny

Sort of down on ICF'S as Green Building systems but think SIP system with panels made of hemp with hemp insulation in the middle would be better than this lime heavy brew...
They say (About 1:10) the lime mixture that their using in France is only 1/6th the weight of concrete and stronger. Heavy?

If you research a little there are a lot of alternative concrete products. The Hempcrete is a good idea and is akin to adding straw to mud to make adobe. I work with a lot of rammed earth houses which is a technique utilized for a thousand years and being refined all of the time.
What I would like to find is a method for utilizing salty sand so we could build from materials found right on our beach lots.

Landshark

Didn't know they used anything but beach sand. That's what they built our place with. They shaped a bowl in a sand dune, mixed in cement & water & built a concrete mixing bowl. That was used to hand mix all the concrete for the construction of the home. They made a walkway through the sand with scrap pieces of wood to roll the wheelbarrow loads of concrete. Felt like we had gone back 100 years in time.

jerry

If you research a little there are a lot of alternative concrete products. The Hempcrete is a good idea and is akin to adding straw to mud to make adobe. I work with a lot of rammed earth houses which is a technique utilized for a thousand years and being refined all of the time.
What I would like to find is a method for utilizing salty sand so we could build from materials found right on our beach lots.
http://www.monolithic.org/stories/salt-water-concrete-a-reality
http://www.monolithic.org/stories/basalt-fiber-rebar. Wow that is the answer...man am I behind the curve!

jerry

Didn't know they used anything but beach sand. That's what they built our place with. They shaped a bowl in a sand dune, mixed in cement & water & built a concrete mixing bowl. That was used to hand mix all the concrete for the construction of the home. They made a walkway through the sand with scrap pieces of wood to roll the wheelbarrow loads of concrete. Felt like we had gone back 100 years in time.
Landmark if your house was in The Three Little Pigs Story the wolf just would have to wait twenty years and not bother huffing and puffing!

J: I have been wanting to build a large monolithic dome for a long time, just haven't found the right client for the application. You may one day in Santo Tomas see a monolithic dome built with basalt-fiber rebar. I have toured huge monolithic domes being utilized as churches or warehouses. The monolithic dome structures themselves are about as strong as a building can get but most folks can't get by their looks. Interesting side note: one of the monolithic dome companies in the U.S. had a large contract to build hangar's for Saddam's air force jets but had to abandon the work when war broke out.

Landshark

Landmark if your house was in The Three Little Pigs Story the wolf just would have to wait twenty years and not bother huffing and puffing!
Been 15 years and no problems so far. The annual maintenance is high but that's the price you pay for beachfront. Haven't had any cracking I would consider abnormal. Hope it makes it another 20 years. Then the mean wolf can have it. Hope it falls on him.

djritko

Compressive strength is about 1/20th that of traditional concrete. 1MPa vs. 18-20MPa. What did you use for your foundation and/or footings?