Highways of Sonora and Baja del Norte.

Roberto

Just returned from first trip to Mexicali. Was shocked how large it is and how fast they drive on the city streets. Sort of a window of understanding into the way they drive when here. Had to drive slowly and heard the word Verga shouted by a driver roaring by. What's with that??? Had to hire a taxi to lead me around as I drove there. Did not explore the city but was impressed by how clean and free of beggars the city is. The Plaza shopping center is HUGE !! Lots of the big US Chain stores in town too.

On the trip over the fog was horrendous for 20 miles or so on the Coastal highway. . I missed a turn at Cohuilla and got lost in San Luis due to poor signage for the lost traveler. I took the free highway which I think was a big mistake but got to see the huge agricultural area there.

Return trip was great rt 5 to rt 4, road was great lots of signage to reassure a traveler. Pass through several Ejidos that slowed progress some but broke up the trip. Confused in Cohuilla again due to lack of signage. Rt 4 just disappears into a field !! 40 onward. The signage in general and road condition was far far superior In Baja del Norte to Sonora. I could tell when I left Cohuilla and into Sonora . Road got rough, pot holes and no berms and few directional signs. Coastal highway was good, permitted 80 MPH. Two disable vehicles parked into the highway just over a rise were cause for panic. One pendejo stood in the middle of the road waving his arms !!

Penasco looked shabby as I rolled into town.