Hotel coming in Puerto Lobos

audsley

Anyone like to catch fish like this?
LOBOS LARRY 6 2 15 006 (2).jpg
[AT TACH=full]7645[/ATTACH]

Now that I have your attention, I’ll continue.

I caught that fish near Puerto Lobos, two hours south of Rocky Point. In the past year and half, I’ve made eight trips there. We're lucky to be able to camp under a ramada on property owned or controlled by a local with whom we have an excellent relationship. That’s huge because the big drawback to Lobos has been a lack of lodging unless you’re one of the very few Americans who have built houses there. But that might be changing with a new hotel and restaurant that’s under construction.

I’ve been watching this project since I first started going to Lobos in 2014, and progress has been so slow that I’d come to view it as another failed enterprise. But on my last trip in September I decided to stop in the street and take a picture, which led to getting invited in for a tour. I’ll be first to admit it doesn’t resemble a Wyndham or a Hilton, but it has more potential than I’d realized.

hotelcompressed3.jpg
The Spanish colonial furniture is already in all the rooms, and each room has its own air conditioning. I stood on the top floor where the restaurant will be and was impressed with the 360 degree views. Add some stucco and paint and the place just might work for fishermen needing a place to shower and sleep.

I’m not sure when it will be open to the public (right now it’s partially occupied by caretakers/watchmen, thus the clothes hanging on the line in the courtyard), but it should open soon, as in a few months at most.

I promote sportfishing in Lobos because I’d like to see it replace subsistence fishing and clamming as the principal local industry. Some of these local guys grew up on the ocean and know all the reefs, all the opportunities and all the dangers. Quitla and Gabriel, the two guys in my grouper picture, can sure do it for you. They could make at least as much money as guides and boat pilots as they currently make handlining and plucking clams off reefs.

And why would American and Mexican fishermen go to Lobos? Because that’s where the fish are. I see guys on this forum operating much the way my partner and I used to – fishing the shallow waters around Rocky Point and asking if anybody’s seen any corvina. I know of others who drive 8 hours to Gonzaga Bay on Baja and 10 hours back with the border wait. Wise up, everybody! Fish Lobos!

That nice gulf grouper isn't something you'll catch every time out, but smaller gulf groupers and sardineras (leopard groupers) are easy to catch trolling. Here's a typical sardinera.

sardineracompressed.jpg

You will also catch sierra mackerel in the warmer months, tons of trigger fish and rock bass (good fish tacos), yellowtail in the spring, barracuda, and all kinds of other stuff. This is all within a mile of shore. Go farther out and other species such as calico and spotted bass can be caught.

A decent afternoon's catch. I believe that's a small yellowtail on the far end.
LOBOS LARRY 6 2 15 001 (2).jpg

The highway from Rocky Point to Lobos is very good. As with most roads in Mexico, it should only be driven in the day time and you'll want to watch for sand drifts in the low spots.

I really don't recommend taking amigas or esposas to Lobos unless they're seriously into fishing. There's no place to shop and the neighborhood isn't exactly Las Conchas. But a hotel means flushing toilets and a place to shower, so if you have an old school lady who's pretty rugged and willing to do it as an adventure, you could consider it. For most it's probably better to leave the women in Rocky Point for shopping on the malecon and maybe one of Mexico Russ's tours, then come back a day and half later with your catch on ice.

Somebody ought to look into starting a small RV park in Lobos. That plus the hotel might really jump start the sportfishing industry there.

Attachments

Wow that sounds just great. That is the only reason we have not gone there to stay a few days at a time. Should be great jet ski fishing.
Any idea about power to run a freeze or will I need a generator. GET A LITTLE WANT A LOT, DUMB GRINGO!

audsley

Jet skis? Hmmmm... maybe I should have kept my mouth shut about the hotel. Nah, just kidding. Be sure to post a picture of your first big yellowtail, grouper or 300 lb shark caught on a jet ski. I'm tellin' you folks, this ain't Rocky Point!

There's power in the community now, but you'll have to find some place to plug in. I don't know where that would be unless you have a local connection. We use a generator to charge a 12-volt battery and run lights and a portable shower off that.

yeah haven't seen any jet skis when I have been there, except semana santa. I still don't have electricity. Use my generator when I have too. Have 2 propane fridge, freezers

audsley

Gone down hill? I'm not sure about that.

I'm fairly new to all this, but some veteran fishermen have told me that while things aren't real good right now, they've seen fishing fluctuate in the past and believe better fishing will come back again. Even now it's not all that bad. When the vagabondo pangueras are in at Lobos, I see their wives filleting lots of fish for the market. I have the impression that fishing fluctuates. While the current normal is probably down from what was written about in the 50s and 60s, it's still pretty good and well worth doing. It could be made much better.

From my perspective, the best outcome would be a transition from fishing with nets to fishing with rod and reel. Shrimping would be phased out at a faster rate than is currently planned. The government would impose limits on the take by species. Fishing license and guide fees would go into a separate fund for surveys, habitat projects and enforcement. Fishermen and guides would keep an eye on each other and report violators. Fines would go into the fund for enforcement.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's the North American Conservation Model. It's worked very well for fish and wildlife in the US and Canada, and it could work in Mexico as well as anything works in Mexico. The emergence of a shared ocean sportfishing ethic, commonly understood and observed by fishermen from Hermosillo to Phoenix and California, would be the glue needed to keep it going.

And what of the local fishermen who currently rely on net fishing for a living? For most it doesn't pay a good living anyway, and for some it's downright dangerous. A Lobos clam diver tells of friends and colleagues who have gone out on the sea for fish or clams and never come back. Guiding and selling ancillary goods and services to both American and Mexican fishermen could provide a safer and probably more lucrative livelihood.

I'm sure some are ready to ask me "And just what part of Kansas did you come from? This is Mexico, not Kansas."

To them I'd point out that in many ways the Mexico we see today is not that much different from rural America 120 years ago. People were making a poor living blasting ducks by the thousands, harvesting bird feathers in Florida, seining fish from rivers and lakes, shooting big game for hides and meat, and generally wringing every last ounce of our natural resources to sell cheaply in local markets. On the streets of Tucson you could buy bighorn sheep meat. Then some well-to-do sportsmen from the northeast went West to hunt elk and South to hunt waterfowl and bear, only to find those critters had all but disappeared. They went to work doing something about that, and today's bountiful fish and wildlife is the result. In the beginning they encountered corruption among public officials and resistance from men who'd "always done it this way," but they perservered and eventually succeeded in establishing a common sportsmen's code and getting it institutionalized in law. It works because it's in everyone's self interest that we follow it, and acting in one's self interest is universal. I believe that with a sustained, concerted effort, it could be accomplished anywhere.

Well, this is what happens when you get me started.

estevan

Thanks for the info audsley. We went out with Chuey back in May and had a blast catching yellows and a few grouper. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get in contact with him lately.

Last edited:

jerry

Gone down hill? I'm not sure about that.

I'm fairly new to all this, but some veteran fishermen have told me that while things aren't real good right now, they've seen fishing fluctuate in the past and believe better fishing will come back again. Even now it's not all that bad. When the vagabondo pangueras are in at Lobos, I see their wives filleting lots of fish for the market. I have the impression that fishing fluctuates. While the current normal is probably down from what was written about in the 50s and 60s, it's still pretty good and well worth doing. It could be made much better.

From my perspective, the best outcome would be a transition from fishing with nets to fishing with rod and reel. Shrimping would be phased out at a faster rate than is currently planned. The government would impose limits on the take by species. Fishing license and guide fees would go into a separate fund for surveys, habitat projects and enforcement. Fishermen and guides would keep an eye on each other and report violators. Fines would go into the fund for enforcement.

If any of this sounds familiar, it's the North American Conservation Model. It's worked very well for fish and wildlife in the US and Canada, and it could work in Mexico as well as anything works in Mexico. The emergence of a shared ocean sportfishing ethic, commonly understood and observed by fishermen from Hermosillo to Phoenix and California, would be the glue needed to keep it going.

And what of the local fishermen who currently rely on net fishing for a living? For most it doesn't pay a good living anyway, and for some it's downright dangerous. A Lobos clam diver tells of friends and colleagues who have gone out on the sea for fish or clams and never come back. Guiding and selling ancillary goods and services to both American and Mexican fishermen could provide a safer and probably more lucrative livelihood.

I'm sure some are ready to ask me "And just what part of Kansas did you come from? This is Mexico, not Kansas."

To them I'd point out that in many ways the Mexico we see today is not that much different from rural America 120 years ago. People were making a poor living blasting ducks by the thousands, harvesting bird feathers in Florida, seining fish from rivers and lakes, shooting big game for hides and meat, and generally wringing every last ounce of our natural resources to sell cheaply in local markets. On the streets of Tucson you could buy bighorn sheep meat. Then some well-to-do sportsmen from the northeast went West to hunt elk and South to hunt waterfowl and bear, only to find those critters had all but disappeared. They went to work doing something about that, and today's bountiful fish and wildlife is the result. In the beginning they encountered corruption among public officials and resistance from men who'd "always done it this way," but they perservered and eventually succeeded in establishing a common sportsmen's code and getting it institutionalized in law. It works because it's in everyone's self interest that we follow it, and acting in one's self interest is universal. I believe that with a sustained, concerted effort, it could be accomplished anywhere.

Well, this is what happens when you get me started.
The Hermosillo guys are still thinking of building the modernist container hotel.My buddy that I was working with on the Cabana project put a halt to our little plan....narco environment killed his enthusiasm

audsley

The narco environment dampens my enthusiasm too. Will have to see what develops on that front. No use building up a local sportfishing industry if the vultures are going to swoop in and take half of everything.

I'm just saying ,it is nothing compared to what it was in the 80s. If you got rid of the nets it would come back really fast. Also eliminate a FEW night time divers with spot lights, that slaughter the fish,and sardies would be everywhere. It took 5or 6 years to recover from a few people's slaughter of the sardies population . It's hard to change there mentality. Especially with no police in lobos anymore. And no game and fish. I've been there since 85 and fishing is no where what it use to be, nor is anything else, in general, not just Lobos. ,Leigh

Another ask Is the hotel open yet?

I am also selling the jetski and have rebuilt a boat in PP. Only a 15 ft 6 ft beam 1995 Seaswirl. With my 15 hp yamaha it goes about 12 mph on very little fuel. 4-6 hours uses less than 3 gal. Now Edna goes with me most of the time. I would love to take it to Lobos for a few days as soon as the hotel is open.

audsley

Wood Spinner,

Wish I could help. I haven't been down there since October, and the people I know who have been down have houses or other lodging arrangements and wouldn't bother checking on the hotel. Will let you know what I find if I get back down before you do.

SunDevil

There are two hotels. One is painted green and orange. They have water with hot water heaters and AC. Ask at the first store on the ocean side of the road by the fish processing area. The other one does not have water but has a unit that is 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms with a kitchen and fridge. It is 1 block west of the other hotel.