hotel posada la roca

I am planning on coming down for the 2013 TequilaFest.
I have heard that he Posada la Roca is a nice little place for a 1 or 2 night stay. Plus it's in close proximity to the event.
Has anyone here ever stayed there and if so, what is your honest opinion about it?
Also, what is the best way to contact them to make a reservation?

Roberto

It's a great place to stay. I've stayed there many time in the past. It's a little primative but clean and the owners are very nice. You could easily walk to the event from there.

audsley

My honest opinion is that the place is an outstanding value. No digital TV or wifi, as I recall, but I think I paid about $25 a night for one person.

I went down last June in my pickup with a camper shell. I had some fishing and camping equipment in the back and did not want my truck or camper broken into, nor did I want to have to drag action packers and an ice chest inside each night. The hotel owner was nice enough to open the gate to his patio area each night so I could park inside the walls, then let me out again each morning. Great guy, very knowledgeable and speaks perfect English if you need that.

My only complaint about staying on the Malecon is that there's no place open for breakfast at sunrise. But Posada Del Roca is great.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Jorge actually wrote back. $29 a night for a one bed accommodations. Not bad.

Ive kept the electric bill paid there for the last 3 years! Tell Jorge you know me and he might give you a better deal. Also tell him Im sorry that I still have room 15's key and Ill be down in about a month. When they were repaving the malecon and they did the street out in front, Jorge actually made me my own parking space right in front of the front door, swear to god ask him! No heat so in the winter time it gets a little crisp in the rooms but other than that it's a clean toilet and shower and a bed with a roof over your head, what else do you need?!

Roberto

Ive kept the electric bill paid there for the last 3 years! Tell Jorge you know me and he might give you a better deal. Also tell him Im sorry that I still have room 15's key and Ill be down in about a month. When they were repaving the malecon and they did the street out in front, Jorge actually made me my own parking space right in front of the front door, swear to god ask him! No heat so in the winter time it gets a little crisp in the rooms but other than that it's a clean toilet and shower and a bed with a roof over your head, what else do you need?!
There are ACs in the room also. And yes again, you could not find a better host than Jorge. Apparently the family has owned the place for many years and it was unused for some time. I seem to recall that Jorge told me that his tia owned it and he came up from Hermosillo to open it again. I know he has consistently improved the place. Historical note: You will see the building in most of the ancient photos of the old port, than's how old it is. There is a legend that Capone stayed there and that there was a tunnel down to the sea that was used to bring up booze off the boats.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
That's not a legend, Roberto. I met Leonardo Gonzales in the mid 70's. He was 75 then. He was the mayor of Penasco for many years from the 50's and 60's and he told me many stories about Al Capone. They were friends and the rest I leave at what happened in Mexico stays in Mexico....

audsley

OK, I'll stand corrected on the wifi. Now that I think back, I was having problems getting my old laptop to sign on in the lobby and had to make trips to Capone's and elsewhere to get my email. My laptop is about 7 years old, so others might have no problem.

As for breakfast, I just remember walking the Malecon around 6 a.m. looking in vain for huevos rancheros and coffee. Didn't know about any Coffee Haus. Wish I had.

GV Jack

Snorin God
I second that. The Torta Maria is outstanding as is the Ranchero Omlet with the home made salsa. I go there every visit.

Hooch

Years ago I used to hang out with ol Jorge, awesome interesting dude. That was Capones secret hideout I remember him telling me that years ago.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Years ago I used to hang out with ol Jorge, awesome interesting dude. That was Capones secret hideout I remember him telling me that years ago.

Jorge is a very nice and personable guy, I'm not lying when I said he made me my own personal parking space 2 feet in front of the front door! I've stayed there so much now and obviously because Im disabled he helps me out a ton but he literally had them poor the concrete a certain way to make a parking spot for me right in front of the door because I usually have my kayak and fishing gear and it is more convenient for me. He is a great guy, I always feel bad though because most of the time I dont get in till around 4am and the stupid bell goes off when you open the door and then of course my walker is loud as hell as I creep down the hallway! Great place for the money, I never think twice about staying there when Im just on my solo fishing trips, I dont need to impress myself! All a man needs is a clean toilet...

Hooch

Jorge is a very nice and personable guy, I'm not lying when I said he made me my own personal parking space 2 feet in front of the front door! I've stayed there so much now and obviously because Im disabled he helps me out a ton but he literally had them poor the concrete a certain way to make a parking spot for me right in front of the door because I usually have my kayak and fishing gear and it is more convenient for me. He is a great guy, I always feel bad though because most of the time I dont get in till around 4am and the stupid bell goes off when you open the door and then of course my walker is loud as hell as I creep down the hallway! Great place for the money, I never think twice about staying there when Im just on my solo fishing trips, I dont need to impress myself! All a man needs is a clean toilet...

If you go down to the fish market get some fillets, shrimp and whatever, he'll let you use his personal grill and patio thats in the back. Definately a good guy